Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers sign former Jaguars OT Guy Whimper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treat88

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Whimper is likely just an experienced body to come in and compete during TC. I will be surprised if he's on the final 53, but the J.Scott experience still resonates...so who knows.

He signed a qualifying contract so he's a nominal (75k if no money was guaranteed) cap hit and really doesn't restrict other additions prior to June 1...so there is essentially zero opportunity cost involved. He doesn't in any way limit them bringing Starks back if they so choose.

Plus, Bicknell knows the guy from his stint with the Giants, so maybe he thinks he'd be a good camp body for Worilds and Jones to beat on.

Maybe Max wants a boatload of money? Maybe they have decided he simply doesn't fit what they want to do with the OL? Maybe they have moved on from him philosophically and are giving a vote of confidence to Gilbert/Adams?

There maybe many reasons we haven't and potentially won't reup Starks, but Guy Whimper is not on that list.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."

Last edited by treat88 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that they feel like there is enough to work with in Whimper to make him a formidable backup OT or maybe Guard? I don't know if he can play guard.

It's definitely not a great signing but I get the feeling there just aren't many guys interested in playing for the Steelers that are still available and of the guys that would be interested, there isn't much interest from the Steelers. Idk, that's just the feeling I get.

As for the moderators and whomever else thinks we're ridiculous for not liking this signing, this is what i have to say about that with the utmost intended respect... Get over it. This is not a good signing and I would rather roll with little to no depth or UDFA's than roll with a guy that flat out can't block one on one. If we're going to spend money, no matter the amount, let's spend it on guys that can actually make a significant impact. For example why wouldn't we rather take a chance on any of the following guys if we're looking for Offensive Line help:

OT Jeff Otah - Yes, his career has been a disappointment, but perhaps a complete change of philosophy is needed. I think he could find some success as a back up in Pittsburgh, would at least be worth a shot, more so than Whimper.

OT - Eric Winston - Does this really need an explanation?

OT - Frank Omiyale - if experience is your meter for a successful signing, this guy has played in 75 games, started in 33.

OT - Max Starks - would have made more sense than Whimper.

OG - Brandon Moore - Yes, he's an older Guard but he could be a solid backup.

OG/C - Doug Legursky - Actually knows the offense and he's a good fill in.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason they do not want to bring Starks back, is because he is not athletic enough to play in a zone based scheme. He is more of man blocking fit, when he does that well.

Whimper probably wont make the final 53 because he gives up a lot of sacks.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks said many moons ago, he wasn't gonna come back as a back-up

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
You were saying?

Is that supposed to impress people? Blaine Gabbert is the guy whose shoulders goes up and he visually cringes in anticipating of a sack. The guy is one of the absolute worst players in the league with regard to taking sacks that he shouldn't. It's not a coincidence his sack totals are so high even when your scapegoat Guy Whimper only started 3 of the games that Gabbert played in last year. Yet you think you have a point because when he throws the ball it statistically comes out quick? What kind of goofy crap is this? It's one thing to be a homer, but this is next gen stuff here.

Thanks for providing me ammunition though, it's nice to see even useless stat sites agree with everything I've ever said about Russell Wilson.
iPwn

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
iPwn wrote:
You were saying?

Is that supposed to impress people? Blaine Gabbert is the guy whose shoulders goes up and he visually cringes in anticipating of a sack. The guy is one of the absolute worst players in the league with regard to taking sacks that he shouldn't. It's not a coincidence his sack totals are so high even when your scapegoat Guy Whimper only started 3 of the games that Gabbert played in last year. Yet you think you have a point because when he throws the ball it statistically comes out quick? What kind of goofy crap is this? It's one thing to be a homer, but this is next gen stuff here.

Thanks for providing me ammunition though, it's nice to see even useless stat sites agree with everything I've ever said about Russell Wilson.
I don't even like Gabbert, so nice try. I've been vocally against Gabbert, since we drafted him, going so far as to say he set our franchise back three years. I never even said it was a good thing (i.e. he dumps the ball off a lot, many times faster than it needs to be done). So whatever you're trying to argue here about my homerdom is useless and pointless to the statistical evidence. He gets the ball out fast, which cuts down on sacks and pressures. Period. It's undeniable. And if you look at how fast his time to sack is, it's obvious that even when he's taking sacks, he's doing so quicker than his normal release time.

And the sack totals have been that high for 5 years, regardless of the QB situation. The o-line has been trash for a long time. Why do you think we spent the #2 pick on a RT?

None of this matters though, because this isn't about Guy Whimper. My point all along, which is backed up by data, is that Gabbert was still under a lot of pressure from Whimper's side even though Gabbert got rid of the ball a lot. Compare that to how Ben operates, and how he will shift around in the pocket quite a bit at times looking for an open receiver (again, not necessarily a bad thing, because it works for him), and someone like Whimper is going to allow even more pressures in that time span, because that's an extra .15 seconds that he has to get abused. This is just basic logic, it doesn't have to be me trying to make Gabbert sound good.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we really arguing about Gabbert and the Jaguars in the Steelers forum? It's been a loooong off-season.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Are we really arguing about Gabbert and the Jaguars in the Steelers forum? It's been a loooong off-season.

LMAO
DudeWhat??

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running back Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:

OT Jeff Otah - Yes, his career has been a disappointment, but perhaps a complete change of philosophy is needed. I think he could find some success as a back up in Pittsburgh, would at least be worth a shot, more so than Whimper. he doesn't need a change of philosophy, he needs health

OT - Eric Winston - Does this really need an explanation? 2 words: 1. cap 2. space

OT - Max Starks - would have made more sense than Whimper. apparently Max was 'demoted' and the Steelers have no intention of signing him now. *shrug*

OG - Brandon Moore - Yes, he's an older Guard but he could be a solid backup. started 16 games per season for the last 8 seasons wtihout missing a start. I'm in, 33 or not

OG/C - Doug Legursky - Actually knows the offense and he's a good fill in.we will sign him long-term once he realizes nobody else in the NFL is looking to sign him. he'll come cheaper that way
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Lets hope he's just a back up all year and never takes any meaningful snaps or better yet that he's beat out by a young guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

OT Jeff Otah - Yes, his career has been a disappointment, but perhaps a complete change of philosophy is needed. I think he could find some success as a back up in Pittsburgh, would at least be worth a shot, more so than Whimper. he doesn't need a change of philosophy, he needs health

OT - Eric Winston - Does this really need an explanation? 2 words: 1. cap 2. space

OT - Max Starks - would have made more sense than Whimper. apparently Max was 'demoted' and the Steelers have no intention of signing him now. *shrug*

OG - Brandon Moore - Yes, he's an older Guard but he could be a solid backup. started 16 games per season for the last 8 seasons wtihout missing a start. I'm in, 33 or not

OG/C - Doug Legursky - Actually knows the offense and he's a good fill in.we will sign him long-term once he realizes nobody else in the NFL is looking to sign him. he'll come cheaper that way
i can dig those answers Kethnabb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with the above answers Bronco just really isn't that good.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

i can dig those answers Kethnabb

Me too. I would really especially like to see us sign Moore.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: