Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers sign former Jaguars OT Guy Whimper
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3297
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Josh C Smith wrote:
i think we signed Whimper because he can play LT and RT and have him as a swingman T.


standing in the LT position and gettign annihilated doesn't equate to "can play LT". not harping on you, but this is the same BS reason we kept Trai Essex around for so long.

"he is versatile"

being pure garbage at multiple positions doesn't make you versatile, it makes you pure garbage.

I'm just as good at performing open heart surgery as I am at splitting the atom. I'm versatile.
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Josh C Smith wrote:
i think we signed Whimper because he can play LT and RT and have him as a swingman T.


standing in the LT position and gettign annihilated doesn't equate to "can play LT". not harping on you, but this is the same BS reason we kept Trai Essex around for so long.

"he is versatile"

being pure garbage at multiple positions doesn't make you versatile, it makes you pure garbage.


Not saying you are wrong, but Whimper isnt guaranteed to make the roster. He is just a cheap vet signing. Lets hope one of our UDFA's can step up and kick him out the door.
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 10039
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Josh C Smith wrote:
i think we signed Whimper because he can play LT and RT and have him as a swingman T.


standing in the LT position and gettign annihilated doesn't equate to "can play LT". not harping on you, but this is the same BS reason we kept Trai Essex around for so long.

"he is versatile"

being pure garbage at multiple positions doesn't make you versatile, it makes you pure garbage.


Not saying you are wrong, but Whimper isnt guaranteed to make the roster. He is just a cheap vet signing. Lets hope one of our UDFA's can step up and kick him out the door.


I hope you're right. I'm just....concerned. for reasons which should be fairly obvious and easily understood
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 10039
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Josh C Smith wrote:
i think we signed Whimper because he can play LT and RT and have him as a swingman T.


standing in the LT position and gettign annihilated doesn't equate to "can play LT". not harping on you, but this is the same BS reason we kept Trai Essex around for so long.

"he is versatile"

being pure garbage at multiple positions doesn't make you versatile, it makes you pure garbage.

I'm just as good at performing open heart surgery as I am at splitting the atom. I'm versatile.


very well played.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 50511
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
Josh C Smith wrote:
i think we signed Whimper because he can play LT and RT and have him as a swingman T.


standing in the LT position and gettign annihilated doesn't equate to "can play LT". not harping on you, but this is the same BS reason we kept Trai Essex around for so long.

"he is versatile"

being pure garbage at multiple positions doesn't make you versatile, it makes you pure garbage.


Not saying you are wrong, but Whimper isnt guaranteed to make the roster. He is just a cheap vet signing. Lets hope one of our UDFA's can step up and kick him out the door.


I hope you're right. I'm just....concerned. for reasons which should be fairly obvious and easily understood


Youre crazy.

The Steelers have never made anything but sound decisions regarding our OLine.

You get away from here with that foolishness...GIT FROM HERE!!!!
_________________

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CKSteeler


Joined: 17 Mar 2013
Posts: 5081
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonathan Scott 2.0.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bigben07MVP


Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9455
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
jonathan Scott 2.0.

I'd much rather have Scott on the roster than Whimper. What exactly did the front office see in him to make them put in the effort to bring him in? Why couldn't we of just waited for Max Starks? Just doesn't make any sense to me.
_________________

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1BackInBlackFan


Joined: 29 Mar 2010
Posts: 7377
Location: For Whom the Bell tolls, PA
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading how Jaguar fans despised the guy. It was comparable to how most of us loathed Colon and how Titan fans couldn't stand Eugene Amaro. I guess I should be careful what I wish for next time since I wanted a veteran OT. I just didn't think they would sign one of the worst ones in the league. Confused
_________________


^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Those stats would have been even worse if Marcedes Lewis wasn't staying in to block so often, and Gabbert didn't release the ball as quickly as he does.


Is this some sort of sick joke?
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 10039
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Those stats would have been even worse if Marcedes Lewis wasn't staying in to block so often, and Gabbert didn't release the ball as quickly as he does.


Is this some sort of sick joke?


i assume he's talking about Gabbert's happy feet and tendency to panic? *shrug*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conquest8089


Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 2702
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing Tackle sends a message to Max Starks whose likely demanding more than the Steelers are willing to offer. As the market for Offensive Tackles continues to play itself out, we'll see what happens. I could see Starks signing with the Lions.
_________________
I'm The guy who got shunned on FFs for arguing J.J. Watt should be selected 1st Overall in the 2011 Draft. I also thought Gabe Carimi would be a Perennial Pro Bowler. Live & Learn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
iPwn


Global Moderator
Joined: 10 Oct 2009
Posts: 46871
Location: Warbortles Nation
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Those stats would have been even worse if Marcedes Lewis wasn't staying in to block so often, and Gabbert didn't release the ball as quickly as he does.


Is this some sort of sick joke?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

You were saying?


And then if you do the math to remove sacks, so it's only counting until he releases the ball, he still ends up at 2.58. So yes, he releases the ball quickly. I don't know where you got the idea that he doesn't.
_________________

- Best since day one -
It may not be easy, but we ain't riding no tire fire merry-go-round.
- Gus Bradley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kethnaab


Joined: 05 Jan 2009
Posts: 10039
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conquest8089 wrote:
Swing Tackle sends a message to Max Starks whose likely demanding more than the Steelers are willing to offer.


last time we sent a message to Max Starks, it was a message begging him to come back.

Conquest8089 wrote:
As the market for Offensive Tackles continues to play itself out, we'll see what happens. I could see Starks signing with the Lions.


exactly what I am thinking
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SteelProven


Moderator
Joined: 20 Apr 2005
Posts: 11940
Location: Ramstein, Germany
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Steelers are trying to steer away from some players. Guy Whimper has some starts under his belt he's not going to beat out Adams nor Gilbert for either OT position.

I will admit this isn't that great of a signing, but for some odd reason they brought him in. We also have to factor in that the Steelers have a new OL coach so he had some say in the matter.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 3297
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
AntiSuperstar wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Those stats would have been even worse if Marcedes Lewis wasn't staying in to block so often, and Gabbert didn't release the ball as quickly as he does.


Is this some sort of sick joke?
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/07/signature-stat-snapshot-time-to-throw/

You were saying?


And then if you do the math to remove sacks, so it's only counting until he releases the ball, he still ends up at 2.58. So yes, he releases the ball quickly. I don't know where you got the idea that he doesn't.

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. He does have a quick release. WHEN HE THROWS IT! He has no confidence and hesitates waaay too much. Apparently he has trouble reading defenses. I think that was the point being made.
_________________

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group