You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 College Prospects Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8861
Location: New Jersey... Props to Joe_Is_The_Best on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen Smallwood play a couple times. Hes a good player but not the best athlete. I dont like him that much in this scheme.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4291
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molsted wrote:
I think we will regret getting Sly, when Aaron Donald from Pitt is a finished product.
They are two different drafts and two completely different style players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Broncos draft another DT this year. Knighton, Unrein, and Big Vick are all FA's in the next two years.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Molsted


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 765
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
I think we will regret getting Sly, when Aaron Donald from Pitt is a finished product.
They are two different drafts and two completely different style players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Broncos draft another DT this year. Knighton, Unrein, and Big Vick are all FA's in the next two years.


Even if it is different drafts, the development (or lack thereof) of Sly will stop us from investing in DT early. I think Donald could go quite early, say round 2, which is before I see us taking a DT. I feel they share some skills, i.e. their swim move, atlethcism and quick first step - but I am not very knowledgeble I just picked his name up and saw what little film I could find.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 3900
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Even if it is different drafts, the development (or lack thereof) of Sly will stop us from investing in DT early. I think Donald could go quite early, say round 2, which is before I see us taking a DT. I feel they share some skills, i.e. their swim move, atlethcism and quick first step - but I am not very knowledgeble I just picked his name up and saw what little film I could find.


The Front Office basically wants massive DT's who can take up two blockers. This opens up one-on-one matchups with the DE's and allows blitzes up the middle from the LB's.

Sly fits that mold but has the added value of being athletic enough to get after the QB, should he ever actually learn some pass rush moves and start to use his hands effectively.

Donald is strictly a UT, and not a guy that will demand double teams. He relies on his quickness off the snap to beat interior linemen and is best when going downhill, not engaging blockers then disengaging to tackle the RB. He just isnt a system fit and would be a bit player here, only used on pure passing downs. As we have Malik and Wolfe to rotate inside for pure pass downs, I just dont see Donald as a good value pick especially with his stock hovering around the 1st/2nd round.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Winder23


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 4291
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Molsted wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
I think we will regret getting Sly, when Aaron Donald from Pitt is a finished product.
They are two different drafts and two completely different style players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Broncos draft another DT this year. Knighton, Unrein, and Big Vick are all FA's in the next two years.


Even if it is different drafts, the development (or lack thereof) of Sly will stop us from investing in DT early. I think Donald could go quite early, say round 2, which is before I see us taking a DT. I feel they share some skills, i.e. their swim move, atlethcism and quick first step - but I am not very knowledgeble I just picked his name up and saw what little film I could find.
Donald will have trouble with the bigger guards. I know size isn't everything (that's not what she said), but a guy like Donald will be destroyed by the Louis Vasquez's of the NFL world.

As for Sly he is coming along. Many defensive tackles do take time to develop.
_________________
GO BRONCOS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Molsted


Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 765
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
Even if it is different drafts, the development (or lack thereof) of Sly will stop us from investing in DT early. I think Donald could go quite early, say round 2, which is before I see us taking a DT. I feel they share some skills, i.e. their swim move, atlethcism and quick first step - but I am not very knowledgeble I just picked his name up and saw what little film I could find.


The Front Office basically wants massive DT's who can take up two blockers. This opens up one-on-one matchups with the DE's and allows blitzes up the middle from the LB's.

Sly fits that mold but has the added value of being athletic enough to get after the QB, should he ever actually learn some pass rush moves and start to use his hands effectively.

Donald is strictly a UT, and not a guy that will demand double teams. He relies on his quickness off the snap to beat interior linemen and is best when going downhill, not engaging blockers then disengaging to tackle the RB. He just isnt a system fit and would be a bit player here, only used on pure passing downs. As we have Malik and Wolfe to rotate inside for pure pass downs, I just dont see Donald as a good value pick especially with his stock hovering around the 1st/2nd round.


Winder23 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
Molsted wrote:
I think we will regret getting Sly, when Aaron Donald from Pitt is a finished product.
They are two different drafts and two completely different style players. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Broncos draft another DT this year. Knighton, Unrein, and Big Vick are all FA's in the next two years.


Even if it is different drafts, the development (or lack thereof) of Sly will stop us from investing in DT early. I think Donald could go quite early, say round 2, which is before I see us taking a DT. I feel they share some skills, i.e. their swim move, atlethcism and quick first step - but I am not very knowledgeble I just picked his name up and saw what little film I could find.
Donald will have trouble with the bigger guards. I know size isn't everything (that's not what she said), but a guy like Donald will be destroyed by the Louis Vasquez's of the NFL world.

As for Sly he is coming along. Many defensive tackles do take time to develop.


I agree. I do however think that Donald despite his size shows potential to be very good for whatever team picks him, I think he shows balance, a very good first step and athleticism that could make him able to be effective even against bigger guards.

That he is not a fit for us, I agree with. I just think he is going to do good.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
champ+jay+al=SB


Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 15442
Location: Boulder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cool to have Paul Richardson in a Broncos uni.

I don't know if I see him as a starter in this league. Great hands and incredible speed. But good lord he is so skinny.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 3407
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
It would be cool to have Paul Richardson in a Broncos uni.

I don't know if I see him as a starter in this league. Great hands and incredible speed. But good lord he is so skinny.


Bernard Berrian-like
_________________
The situation is hopeless, but not serious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 20925
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
It would be cool to have Paul Richardson in a Broncos uni.

I don't know if I see him as a starter in this league. Great hands and incredible speed. But good lord he is so skinny.


Bernard Berrian-like
More similar to Mike Wallace, just not the same size.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
champ+jay+al=SB


Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 15442
Location: Boulder
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
champ+jay+al=SB wrote:
It would be cool to have Paul Richardson in a Broncos uni.

I don't know if I see him as a starter in this league. Great hands and incredible speed. But good lord he is so skinny.


Bernard Berrian-like


Threat you want on your team. Not worth a second round pick in my eyes though. Never going to be physical enough.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 3900
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Paul Richardson would be a better fit if we were in the Brock era. He is a legitimate deep threat but not a precision route runner. Still, its a testament to how talented he is that every single team CU played knew he was the only threat on the team and he continued to put up unreal numbers.

I see him as similar to Jerome Simpson with a (far) better attitude and a better likleyhood to maximize his talent due to a great work ethic (Simpson had/has tons of natural talent but just could not get over his concentration lapses, improve his route running or toughen up enough to go over the middle).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncosFan2010


Joined: 04 Feb 2010
Posts: 3900
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably going to be an unfavorable idea but what would people think about drafting DeAnthony Thomas?

At this time, I think that his draft stock has plummeted to low 3rd/high 4th round. My reasoning is this Hillman has fallen out of favor and some are speculating that he may be gone next season. In addition, the Trindon Holliday days may be over. He is electric but inconsistent and when a Coach cant trust a designated Punt/Kick returner to return each and every kick per game, his spot on the squad should be in jeopardy. It may make sense to move on from both Hillman and Holliday by using DAT as our new change-of-pace back, designated kick/punt returner and, additionally, utilizing his excellent pass catching abilities out of the slot. It would open up a roster spot and add another dynamic playmaker to this team (IMO DAT is FAR more dynamic than Hillman and FAR more versatile than Holliday)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
elliot878


Moderator
Joined: 03 Feb 2007
Posts: 12258
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking my first look at some prospect profiles today.

Started clicking CB's and DE's first. Looking back end of the first round range.

I think Justin Gilbert the OKST CB fits the profile for what Elway and Fox want in a CB. He's got a nice size/speed/athleticism blend, and definite ball skills. Can also be a big special teams contributor right away.

The other guy I know will be coveted by Elway/Fox/JDR is Trent Murphy from Stanford at DE. He's got similar production to what Derek Wolfe had in college, but is DE sized, not hybrid sized like Wolfe (DE/DT). Murphy is well rounded as a pass rusher can use speed, moves or power, and doesn't quit or take plays off - a common trait in DL since Elways taken over. Assuming Wolfe is healthy next year, this is a pickup that could allow our DL some new personnel options. Murphy can rush the passer, play the run, and drop in coverage, he's also prob got room to bulk up as he's got a big 6'6 frame and is just 270.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bobdevine


Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Posts: 3025
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great overview of the top college players by Bob McGinn, the respected beat writer for the Packers.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/early-look-at-the-nfl-draft-b99168238z1-236899801.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 13161
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA what are your thoughts on Crockett Gilmore? Caught my attention during the bowl game as a late round TE. And someone was telling me Cartwright is another TE there to watch since he's more athletically gifted.

From watching Tulane Ryan Grant has amazing hands. I'd use a mid rounder on him based on that game just such soft hands.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot: Eric Rowe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 13 of 50

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group