Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dansby
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Dansby Reply with quote

I have put some thought into this. In order for the Cards to succeed, we need to sign Dansby. We do not have a linebacker who can cover. Brinkley and Minter are thumpers. Maybe Walker? I do not know where our cap is, but Keim has got to make this happen. I do not want to see tight ends running around like Bo Jackson on Tecmo Bowl. Who is with me?
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heard Jureki talking about him a while back and he said the Cards have no interest. But with the Washington situation, things could change.

Re-Elect Joe Fitzgibbon class act for proper representation.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly highly highly doubt it. With drafting Minter it leaves us in the same situation as last year at linebacker+Armstrong as a utility linebacker. So no I doubt it
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is Armstrong? Also, I just read an article that said Dansby was a liability in coverage.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000166395/article/top-10-available-free-agents-where-do-they-best-fit

I just remember how good Dansby was at covering tight ends when he played for the Cardinals. I would still love a one year deal with him. It would make losing Washington easier to swallow.

I just don't see who we will have to be able to cover the middle of the field. Maybe we could slide Bell up to the linebacker spot in passing situations? Either that, or we better bring a ton of pressure on passing situations. Maybe we could play with 8 db's on the field? We have enough corners for sure. This would make Frank Gore, and Marshawn Lynch lick their chops.

I just hope this Washington situation gets resolved and we find out it was mostly out of self-defense. We will see, but he is really hurting this team right now. I would argue that he was the best linebacker in the league last year. He has to read his shirt and "Get your mind right!" We need that guy in a terrible way. Washington is taking a mediocre linebacker core and making it a makeshift core. I don't want to be relying on rookies to much. I just hope our offense has improved enough this offseason to help mask some of our deficiencies on defense.
shawn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he was cut my first reaction was that we should defiantly pursue him. And I thought it was likely we would, but then I remembered that he doesn't really have any connections here anymore. All of the coaching staff that worked with him is gone, the GM that drafted him his gone, and most of the players he played alongside are gone.

sig made by mike23md
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dansby played under Bowles didn't he?
shawn

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdgeoftheNest wrote:
Dansby played under Bowles didn't he?

That's true actually, he did.

sig made by mike23md
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Minter is actually rather good in coverage, ran the seam very well at LSU and is active and aware in zone coverage.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have on Minter.

"Some evaluators may have a concern with his lateral speed since Minter seemed to reach running backs with just enough time to spare, not to mention his tendency to lose ground when forced to open his hips and drop in coverage. "

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profiles/kevin-minter?id=2540159

I do not have the time to watch college football, but I do know that you are a very reliable poster Khodder, so I will take your word for it. I am just glad to hear we have an option there.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option there is Reggie Walker who has played some MLB for us; though coverage is not his strong suit, he is not terrible at it either.

Really it all depends on how we are going to use our ILB's under Bowles. We really don't have a lot to work from on this front either.

Last year we used our ILB's in similar roles. Daryl obviously blitzed more, but outside of that the use of him and Lenon was very similar.

If we plan to do that again; Kevin Minter is a perfect fit to play alongside Daryl, but it limits the scope of what Brinkley can do.

Jasper is very much a downhill linebacker with limited range, and his signing says to me that they are going to utilise a more physical linebacker (Especially with the DL moving to more of a one gap scheme) to attack the LOS and have another guy sweep behind him.

Personally I really dislike the direction this defense is taking, I think we are moving warp speed in the wrong direction, but I will have to wait and see what steps onto the field during the season.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Reads the quarterback's eyes nicely when in pass coverage and has a feel for what is happening around him. Enough lateral agility and speed to cover backs. Passionate player with a high-revving motor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664390/kevin-minter

EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you about the defense. I am very skeptical about what Bowles is going to do with it. I really did not like how Dockett was pumped up to hear the new scheme. I do not want to see the days return where screen passes and draws turn into 20 yard gains while Dockett is ten yards behind the quarterback. I just hope Minter is somewhat decent at blitzing the a gap. If not, we might be in for a very long season. That was where Washington was awesome. I have never seen a linebacker get through that gap the way he did.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to be an optimist before the season and I think we still have a VERY talented defense. It just depends on how you like our secondary. I like our secondary since we got rid of injury prone Toler (And I know Khodder strongly disagrees with me) Got rid of burn out victim in William Gay. The only significant hit our defense took was Rhodes leaving but Mathieu IMO has the potential to be just as good. Plus we add Okafor, Brinkley, and Minter. Plus the depth on the Dline including Shaughnessy and Rucker. I love our defense talent wise. The only problem is Horton leaving but I think Bowles can still be a quality defensive coordinator. The chances of him being as good as Horton are slim, but he could still be a good D coordinator. And the offense couldn't get any worse from last year so I think we improve from last year not like from 5 to 9 wins but I think we go 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Draft Fales or Mariotta and we are sitting pretty for the future
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
I tend to be an optimist before the season and I think we still have a VERY talented defense. It just depends on how you like our secondary. I like our secondary since we got rid of injury prone Toler (And I know Khodder strongly disagrees with me) Got rid of burn out victim in William Gay. The only significant hit our defense took was Rhodes leaving but Mathieu IMO has the potential to be just as good. Plus we add Okafor, Brinkley, and Minter. Plus the depth on the Dline including Shaughnessy and Rucker. I love our defense talent wise. The only problem is Horton leaving but I think Bowles can still be a quality defensive coordinator. The chances of him being as good as Horton are slim, but he could still be a good D coordinator. And the offense couldn't get any worse from last year so I think we improve from last year not like from 5 to 9 wins but I think we go 7-9 or 8-8 this year. Draft Fales or Mariotta and we are sitting pretty for the future

So you think our offensive improvement from last season to this season is enough to win three of the first four games still?

We won 5 games this year. Every single one of them bar maybe one was based on defensive exellence.

1 - We don't beat Seattle week one without the defense makiing plays A] TO stop Seattle scoring and B] To get our offense in solid field position to score.

2 - We don't get close to the Patriots without our D holding them to 18 points.

3 - We might still win the Eagles game, but our D held them to 6 points, scored a TD themselves this game would have been an "either way game" wihtout our D

4 - The game vs Miami we don't win without the D, yeah we gave up a big time 80 yard TD that day, but three of our scoring drives (Including the one in OT) started at our 40 yard line or better.

5 - We likely don't win the Lions game without that defense. It turned into a bit of a blowout. 38-10, but take away two defensive TD's, A drive starting at the Lions 3 yard line, and a derive starting at the Detroit 29 yard line (28 of our 38 points) and you are back at 10-10.

Yout the 2013 defense and combine it with the 2012 offense and you have an 0-16 football team.

Arr these offensive upgrades (Mendenhall for Wells, Cooper in at Guard. Palmer for Kolb/Lindley/Skelton, Levi in at LT) worth 8 wins?? I think we will be lucky to win 5 games in 2013.

EdgeoftheNest

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to concentrate on the negatives too much. I have complained for years about how the Cards need to invest in front seven players. This year Keim did just that. We brought in a ton of front seven players through free agency and drafted front seven with 3 of our first 4 picks. I think we still have a very talented defense. No idea about Bowles. I will try to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he has serious talent here. I am excited to see some improvement on offense. I wonder where our defense would have ranked last year if we put any offense on the field.

I should probably say something about Dansby. I have a soft spot for the guy. I live in Wisconsin and when he ran that forced fumble into the endzone to eliminate Green Bay, I was one of two happy people in the entire state. The guy was a stud. I don't know where his game is today, but I really feel he could help fill the crater being left by Washington.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I don't see the real talent on this defense. I think a lot of our deficiencies were masked by scheme and play calling.

Most of those weaknesses remain unaddressed, thing like; The inability of any of our OLB's to create pressure off the edge. The tendency of Darnell Dockett to freelance to try and make a play and ending up in the wrong spot. The lack of consistent tackling ability in our LB corps. The poor run discipline of our OLB's. Really if you actually look at the talent on this defense, it is not really outstanding;

Along the DL you have one truly exceptional player in Calais Campbell. He can do it all as a 5 tech, he still loses leverage more than you would want, but that happens when you are 6-8 playing an interior defensive line position. Dan Williams is a good clogger and is an old school Nose Guard who anchors well, but he struggles to get push when needed, he also only sees ~40% of the snaps. Then we get to the problem child Darnell Dockett. He makes splash plays, he will make plays behind the LOS, he will blow up the odd screen, he will get a sack or two and get pressure on the QB, he puts together a very good highlight tape, but the lack of discipline on run fits has to drive every defensive coach this team has had insane. He runs himself out of plays, he gets upfield when he should be playing a gap, he roams out of his gap far too often. He is also now at the stage of his career where the bad plays are outweighing the good ones and it is hurting this defense.

In short - One superstar, One good young player who does not see the field enough because of the changes in the game and one aging vet who hurts the team more often than he helps them.

Onto Linebacker where this team, frankly, outside of Daryl Washington, and we know he plays at most 12 games this year. Sucks, or is unproven.

We drafted Kevin Minter, I love the kid, but outside of that? Sam Acho; cannot get pressure unless he goes 1 v 1 vs a back or is unblocked. Lacks backside contain on run fits. Goes backwards on plays run at that side of the LOS too often, liability in coverage. Jasper Brinkley. Downhill LB who will be good in run fits, but not much else. O'Brien Schofield - Needs to stay healthy. Can rush the passer and turn the corner when he is healthy, but also lacks discipline in the running game and lacks the power to set the edge. Reggie Walker is a ST'er. Lorenzo Alexander is a ST'er. Zach Nash is a 2nd year guy as an UDFA. We lost our best pass rushing LB (Groves). We drafted Okafor too, but I am not a huge fan of his either.

Seriously, this is a bottom third unit in the NFL with Daryl Washington starting. Take him away...

You all know how I feel about the secondary too so I am not going to rehash it here again.

I apologise if this is just a teeny bit negative, but I really don't see the top talent on our defense. Outside of Peterson/Campbell/Washington we have more liabilities than we do good complimentary players. More players who will hurt the team than help them with a big play or even just doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Defense is a game of schematics. Scheme rules on defense, and especially when you have a defensive team that lacks talent (Like we did even last season) you better have a good defensive scheme that helps make up for it.

I have serious doubts about what Todd Bowles can do as a defensive coordinator and playcaller.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: