Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Jarvis Jones big enough?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

straight ballin wrote:
Why would you want him to add ten more pounds? He weighs the same as Harrison. Did you want Harrison o add ten more pounds? No

Because you want him to be physically durable and capable of taking down bigger bodies consistently. A lack of mass could eventually create a breakdown (injuries). At the same time, if he stayed at 245, he could be just fine. Yes, he's the same weight as Harrison but their bodies are completely different, he's a leaner 245 lbs. If he adds a healthy 10 lbs, I think it'd suit him, being at 255 would provide him with the extra 'padding' in the right areas.

As for the OP, this is an extremely minor issue that everyone will have to deal with at every position, getting their bodies in the shape that their coaches want it in. It's really a non-issue. He'll bulk up over time I'm sure.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Curtain wrote:
I think everybody is really over analyzing this. Can I just say for the thousandth time this off-season....it's the PITTSBURGH STEELERS. They might know a little something about drafting and building and coaching a linebacker. They just might. If Jones didn't have tremendous upside, there wouldn't even be threads right now, because we would of never drafted him.

It's not about the development of the player. I know that Jones will get into a good weight and conditioning program. But I'm looking at it from a off season stand point. Jones was never one to be characterized as a "gym rat", but to stand up to the pounding he will either have to gain weight, get stronger or both.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight balla- people are right. Normally if you maxed your athleticism and weight limit, you get more toner to become more durable. Your comparison of harrison and jones is just wrong at every level.

We might as well start comparing Troy Polamalu to Shamarko Thomas.

Only different between those comparisons is that Shamarko already has a NFL body but COULD still get bigger.

Btw guys, shamarko mentioned that he lost 5 lbs just for combine, he's normally 218. 5'8"and 218 lbs? Sheesh! Lol
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...look at this picture...

Im not saying he needs to get as huge as Harrison, but before I looked closer I thought that was a defensive back...no joke.

Also, Harrison is probably closer to 3 or maybe even 4 inches shorter than Jones. Jones is 6'2 3/8. Harrison is listed as 6', but even Keith Butler laughed at that and said Harrison is 5'11 on a good day.

Comparing them is a joke, especially their body types. Even if they weigh the exact same, Harrison was much thicker and built. Jones doesnt need to be that, but he does need to add a better base, similar to what Timmons did going into 2010. Timmons added about 10 pounds of lean mass going into that season and was much better.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh and he's 24 years old.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Yeah...what a fossil.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

Yeah...what a fossil.

Yeah I mean...that means if he plays as long as Harrison..we can only get 11 good years out of him, maybe 12...god..what a wasted pick...

Wink Laughing

Sig courtesy of IDOG
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Gatoradus wrote:

Yeah...what a fossil.

Actually he's 23.5 yrs old!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im not saying he needs to get as huge as Harrison, but before I looked closer I thought that was a defensive back...no joke.

Also, Harrison is probably closer to 3 or maybe even 4 inches shorter than Jones. Jones is 6'2 3/8. Harrison is listed as 6', but even Keith Butler laughed at that and said Harrison is 5'11 on a good day.

Comparing them is a joke, especially their body types. Even if they weigh the exact same, Harrison was much thicker and built. Jones doesnt need to be that, but he does need to add a better base, similar to what Timmons did going into 2010. Timmons added about 10 pounds of lean mass going into that season and was much better.

I think the key is for Jones to add as much muscle as possible without losing any speed or quickness. Based on his body type an additional 10 pounds of muscle wouldn't make that much of a difference apperance wise. He doesn't seem to have much bodyfat to lose so I don't think losing 10 pounds of fat is much of an option. I'd like to see him gain about 5 pounds of lean muscle before training camp but idk if that is even a possibility, people underestimate how hard it is to gain pure lean muscle. Gaining 10 pounds wouldn't be that tough, but that 10 pounds would probably be mostly water wieght. I don't think there is a whole lot he can do before camp physique wise. His best bet is to just follow the training program, focus on pure football and try to gain some strength/size next off-season.

To me there is no way Jones weighs 245. Joey Porter was about 1/2-1 inch taller and wieghed 248. And Joey was much more muscular.

Jones looks more like 225-230.

But we don't want him to make any drastic changes because he already runs a slow 40. It would probably be much slower with an extra 15 pounds. To me what you see is pretty much what you get, however he could maybe gain a few pounds which I think he will.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh C Smith wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

I think the key is for Jones to add as much muscle as possible without losing any speed or quickness. Based on his body type an additional 10 pounds of muscle wouldn't make that much of a difference apperance wise. He doesn't seem to have much bodyfat to lose so I don't think losing 10 pounds of fat is much of an option. I'd like to see him gain about 5 pounds of lean muscle before training camp but idk if that is even a possibility, people underestimate how hard it is to gain pure lean muscle. Gaining 10 pounds wouldn't be that tough, but that 10 pounds would probably be mostly water wieght. I don't think there is a whole lot he can do before camp physique wise. His best bet is to just follow the training program, focus on pure football and try to gain some strength/size next off-season.

To me there is no way Jones weighs 245. Joey Porter was about 1/2-1 inch taller and wieghed 248. And Joey was much more muscular.

Jones looks more like 225-230.

But we don't want him to make any drastic changes because he already runs a slow 40. It would probably be much slower with an extra 15 pounds. To me what you see is pretty much what you get, however he could maybe gain a few pounds which I think he will.

I agree with everything...especially the part about him not looking 245. Looking at him, Id agree with 235 or so.....but people carry weight differently so you never know.

And that was my point about him adding weight without sacraficing other things, but I think he can at least carry 10 more lbs of muscle with no issue. Like I said, adding mass helped Timmons in 2010. As long as Jones doesnt go on Lamar Woodley's diet last year, he should be fine. Cool

simonwayne wrote:
Dracula58

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care about his wieght or how well he plays the run...
I want his A$$ on the QB 24 freakin 7, passing league so go get the QB and help out the CB's. This team is lacking and going downhill IMO with QB pressure form our OLBs.

Sack
Sack
Sack and more sacks are all I want' to see.
straight ballin

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not gonna look as big as Harrison because he's not 5'11! He's a lot longer and lengthier! So I don't see why you would say he doesn't need to get as big as Harrison.
Dracula58

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to be built more Clark Haggans but really who cares... He could be built like Steve Urkel for all I care because it is about is putting the hurt on NFL QB's and if he does how he looks does not make one bit of dif.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had to compare Jarvis Jones, it'd be Carlos Emmons. Not many remember how he did for us, where he wasn't that great as a pass-rusher but he'd an excellent read n react linebacker. I see Jones being in similar mold. A tackling machine. Probably why some of us feel like he's a better inside linebacker for us than outside, my only question is how will we use him

If we were to use him consistently like how we did with James Harrison, i'd be concerned and even with his weight. Hope this means right defensive end's main duty would be pass-rushing, which may be effective if we move Ziggy over to right side.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
if I had to compare Jarvis Jones, it'd be Carlos Emmons. Not many remember how he did for us, where he wasn't that great as a pass-rusher but he'd an excellent read n react linebacker. I see Jones being in similar mold. A tackling machine. Probably why some of us feel like he's a better inside linebacker for us than outside, my only question is how will we use him

if LeBeau schemes for him the way he schemes for Timmons, he could be dangerous. Not sure I see the Emmons comparison, who was a big ole beastly dude

Gatoradus wrote:
If we were to use him consistently like how we did with James Harrison, i'd be concerned and even with his weight. Hope this means right defensive end's main duty would be pass-rushing, which may be effective if we move Ziggy over to right side.

agreed on all points. I think Heyward and Keisel would be more effective than Ziggy on the right side, although I think Heyward would be more effective than Ziggy on the left side too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: