Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

If we have the first overall pick in 2014...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you take first overall in 2014?
Teddy Bridgewater QB
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
Jadaveon Clowney DE
71%
 71%  [ 35 ]
Jake Mathews OT
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 49

Raidin

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Okay Bridgewater isn't Luck status, but how would you feel taking him i he reached RG3 level?

Also I'm for Clowney due to the fact we still do not have a Rush End and he's the best in years.

Even on RGIII's level, I'm not taking Bridgewater.

Clowney is the type guy you put on defense and he changes everything. He is a disruptive force. A true difference making player. You absolutely cannot pass on him.

Pass rusher is just as important as QB in the NFL and his potential to change the game on defense is something you only get once a decade. Period.

Laughing

An elite game changing edge rusher can change the fortunes of a team. You can laugh all you want, but an elite pass rushing defense will offset average QB play, the same an elite QB will offset an average defense.

I'd take a true franchise QB over a pass rusher. But Bridgewater isn't an elite prospect like Clowney. Not even debatable.

I will laugh. The suggestion that a pass-rusher is just as important as a QB is absolutely comical.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Okay Bridgewater isn't Luck status, but how would you feel taking him i he reached RG3 level?

Also I'm for Clowney due to the fact we still do not have a Rush End and he's the best in years.

Clowney is the type guy you put on defense and he changes everything. He is a disruptive force. A true difference making player. You absolutely cannot pass on him.

Pass rusher is just as important as QB in the NFL and his potential to change the game on defense is something you only get once a decade. Period.

Laughing

An elite game changing edge rusher can change the fortunes of a team. You can laugh all you want, but an elite pass rushing defense will offset average QB play, the same an elite QB will offset an average defense.

I'd take a true franchise QB over a pass rusher. But Bridgewater isn't an elite prospect like Clowney. Not even debatable.

I will laugh. The suggestion that a pass-rusher is just as important as a QB is absolutely comical.

I agree completely. QB >>> Pass rusher. The way I see it is, you get a pass rusher to stop the QB, you dont get a QB to stop the pass rusher... if that makes sense. Probably not. WEHOO.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Laughing

I agree completely. QB >>> Pass rusher. The way I see it is, you get a pass rusher to stop the QB, you dont get a QB to stop the pass rusher... if that makes sense. Probably not. WEHOO.

True, but Once-A-Generation DE Prospect trumps Possible Franchise QB Prospect to me.

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that S&B. I am 100% on the Clowney wagon at this point. While I do think QB is the most important position in the league and we do not have a set franchise QB, I have alot of confidence in Wilson. I think we should and would go with Clowney over Teddy due to just trading for Flynn and drafting Wilson. Is Clowney the best defensive prospect to ever come out?

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
I agree with that S&B. I am 100% on the Clowney wagon at this point. While I do think QB is the most important position in the league and we do not have a set franchise QB, I have alot of confidence in Wilson. I think we should and would go with Clowney over Teddy due to just trading for Flynn and drafting Wilson. Is Clowney the best defensive prospect to ever come out?

I really can't say yes or no and be confident in my answer. But right now, I can say I'm skeptical Bridgewater will be viewed the same way he is atm when draft time rolls around

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaidersAreOne wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Laughing

Just look at Dallas. They have one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and they suck.
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
Clowney without a question. This is a passing league and you need guys like him to disrupt QBs rhythm.

This is a passing league, so take the non-QB? Laughing

This is exactly where this conversation gets misdirected. By taking Clowney the Oakland Raiders would not be giving up on QB play. There are multiple players to man the QB position. There are even some good FA's next year, like Josh Freeman who I think is blue collar under the radar QB. You don't need the best QB in the NFL to win a super bowl, just as you don't need a top DE to win either.

The point is that Clowney is the better prospect in the same way Calvin Johnson was the better prospect. Take the better prospect, there are other ways to fill the QB position. I personally wouldn't mind the Raiders taking a QB next year in the draft but given the hypothetical scenario and the HUGE hole we have at the BPA's position, it is a lights out no brainer question. But f course Bridgewater would be worth considering.

Lets say it was the opposite scenario, it was a DE league and Bridgewater was the once in a decade QB, and Clowney was the lesser prospect. I would go with Bridgewater because again there are other picks, FA's, and such to fill the position.

I think from our lack of sufficient QB play, Raider fans have a bull's eye on the signal caller and think it can be quick fix to our organization
ala other top rated QB's. What they fail to see is that it wasn't that they were drafted not because they were QB's but because they were the BPA at their selection. The teams that have gotten stuck at the bottom of the barrel don't follow this and think they out smart building a football team. Luckily for us McKenzie is clearly not one of those people.

Last edited by DarthDavis on Tue May 07, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Big Rob

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we have the #1 pick and there is a Franchise QB available we got to take him, point blank period!!!

Look what Luck did to the Colts, they were horrible in 2011, same with RG3 and the Redskins...if you dont have a QB you dont have anything!
DarthDavis

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:
if we have the #1 pick and there is a Franchise QB available we got to take him, point blank period!!!

Look what Luck did to the Colts, they were horrible in 2011, same with RG3 and the Redskins...if you dont have a QB you dont have anything!

Apples and Oranges. The 2012 draft class is not the same as the 2014. Those were the Best Players Available at their draft slots. If your logic of QB's are quick fixes for terrible teams then how come it only works at a roughly 36% of the time.

Because organizations are on a time clock, if they don't produce new management comes in, sticking to the good ol' cliches "its a QB league" therefore if we get a QB we can be good and still have our jobs. That is why QB's are always taken higher in the first round then their projection.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things I would let clowney do to me...

Bolansho Boro Begoz
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Laughing

A pass rusher in the mold of LT is what we are talking about here. A guy who can change the game on defense.

I'd take LT over a lot of QBs who played the game.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Laughing

Just look at Dallas. They have one of the top pass rushers in the NFL and they suck.

The also have one of the top QBs in the NFL. So what's that say?

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Rob wrote:

And that's the rub. Andrew Luck is the once in a generation QB prospect. If that guy was in the draft, yes, no brainer.

I would take Clowney over RGIII every day of the week. Because he will impact the game more in his career.

I refuse to buy all the hype on rookie passers after 1 season (Luck excluded) because teams don't have the tape on them and now with this read option junk, they translate right over from college.

With the defense learning to defend the read option, let's see where RGIII is in 3-4 years.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:
RaidersAreOne wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Raidin wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:

Laughing

The also have one of the top QBs in the NFL. So what's that say?

I would say top 10 maybe
BigD1123

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take mega trade for 200 Alex!!!!! But if I had to pick one id Clown around. Besides there will be alot of qbs available. And who is to say ours wont be good? A lot can happen from injuries to a bunch of close losses. No matter how good the qb u aint winning without D. I can remember seeing teams have lik 6 or 7 losses by a combined 20 points or less. Anything could happen. But if that clown is around when I pick imma snatch him up if I am a GM. I mean ANY GM....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: