Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quanterus Smith
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Quanterus Smith Reply with quote

What is the status on Quanterus Smith's knee?

He has been quoted in several places (most recently in today's Denver Post) that his knee will be ready by training camp. I doubt it.

Looking at the possible scenarios:
1) his knee really is good to go by training camp
I'll give this a 25% chance. Maybe the pre-draft physical was very positive.
2) his knee is ready by week 1 of the regular season
Seems more likely. A 50% chance of happening.
3) his knee needs longer to rehab or tweaks his injury during practice, Goes on PUP for 6 weeks.
I'll guess 25%. Possible but I hope it doesn't happen.

At this point, Shaun Phillips seems certain to be the designated pass rusher. Quanterus Smith will likely be brought along slowly.

Highlights video (Elvis Who?):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nuyH5X-Wbps

By the way, the coaches will have to learn 7 unusual first names with this crop of rookies -- Sylvester, Montee, Kayvon, Quanterus, Tavarres, Vinston, and Zac. No Joes or Bills this year.

EDIT: Changed IR to PUP.

Last edited by bobdevine on Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winder23

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Quanterus Smith Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

He has been quoted in several places (most recently in today's Denver Post) that his knee will be ready by training camp. I doubt it.

3) his knee needs longer to rehab or tweaks his injury during practice, Goes on IR for 6 weeks.

At this point, Shaun Phillips seems certain to be the designated pass rusher. Quanterus Smith will likely be brought along slowly.

By the way, the coaches will have to learn 7 unusual first names with this crop of rookies -- Sylvester, Montee, Kayvon, Quanterus, Tavarres, Vinston, and Zac. No Joes or Bills this year.
He will be eight months + removed from surgery by camp. He will be limited for sure and won't see too much action to start the season. He is still very raw and has a alot of work to do in the run game. Q Smith is a project pick and needs development.

One player who may make it tough on Q is Jeremy Beal. Beal was a stud in camp last year and looked real good in preseason games. Beal knows this may be the last attempt to crack the roster in Denver. I would expect him to fight tooth and nail to make this team. Beal is a great competitor and will make it tough to kick him down the road.
b_rent87

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zac and Sylvester are not that original nice yeah though

Props to Jamison on the sig
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow bobdevine is a doctor?
bobdevine

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:

Medical doctor? Not me. And I don't play one one the web...
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Quanterus Smith Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

3) his knee needs longer to rehab or tweaks his injury during practice, Goes on IR for 6 weeks.

He will be eight months + removed from surgery by camp. He will be limited for sure and won't see too much action to start the season. He is still very raw and has a alot of work to do in the run game. Q Smith is a project pick and needs development.

One player who may make it tough on Q is Jeremy Beal. Beal was a stud in camp last year and looked real good in preseason games. Beal knows this may be the last attempt to crack the roster in Denver. I would expect him to fight tooth and nail to make this team. Beal is a great competitor and will make it tough to kick him down the road.

I agree with you. With all his pass rushing ability, Smith is is still a project. He needs time to adjust to the NFL game and transition to the life of a professional athlete. There is no reason why the Broncos would rush him back just 7-8 months after reconstructive knee surgery.

Due to the fact that we have Phillips and Beal, I don't think there is urgency to get Smith on the field. It is simply not worth the risk. It is for this reason I think the Broncos will temper Smith's urge to get on the field right away.

Realistically, I think the options are having him on IR and getting him ready for next year when Ayers is unlikely to return. Second option is the PUP which would give the Broncos the chance to activate him near mid season.

Personally, I don't see the third option of making the opening day roster as realistic.
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Quanterus Smith Reply with quote

Winder23 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

One player who may make it tough on Q is Jeremy Beal. Beal was a stud in camp last year and looked real good in preseason games. Beal knows this may be the last attempt to crack the roster in Denver. I would expect him to fight tooth and nail to make this team. Beal is a great competitor and will make it tough to kick him down the road

I agree with you. With all his pass rushing ability, Smith is is still a project. He needs time to adjust to the NFL game and transition to the life of a professional athlete. There is no reason why the Broncos would rush him back just 7-8 months after reconstructive knee surgery.

Due to the fact that we have Phillips and Beal, I don't think there is urgency to get Smith on the field. It is simply not worth the risk. It is for this reason I think the Broncos will temper Smith's urge to get on the field right away.

Realistically, I think the two most likely options are having him on IR and getting him ready for next year when Ayers is unlikely to return. The second option is the PUP which would give the Broncos the chance to activate him near mid season.

Personally, I don't see the third option of making the opening day roster as realistic.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
jsthomp2007 wrote:

Medical doctor? Not me. And I don't play one one the web...

LOL! I pretend to be an actor who plays a doctor on TV.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACL injuries aren't as serious as they used to be. I think he can play in week one. Having said that I'm not sure that we will need him to play much as Shaun Phillips is there anyway. He might be a healthy scratch.

Fify.
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
ACL injuries aren't as serious as they used to be. I think he can play in week one. Having said that I'm not sure that we will need him to play much as Shaun Phillips is there anyway. He might be a healthy scratch.

Dude be realistic for once.
Q had acl surgery in December. He hits 6 months of recovery time in mid June. Yes, acl surgery used to be a potential career ending injury and yes there was a time the surgery and rehab took a lot more time. Technology and advancements in medical science have made acl surgery and recovery much faster and efficient.

Still, even by today's standards, expecting a player to be ready for full blown contact drills involving cutting, twisting and absorbing hits barely 6 months post surgery is a bit optimistic. Were he a veteran player, I would like his chances better. But the fact is we are talking about a rookie who is not familiar with Bronco terminology, schemes and the NFL game. Much of the time he would have dedicated to learning will be used towards rehabbing.

I guess we will know soon enough. With Q being your favorite draft pick, hopefully you don't have a meltdown when he is not on the roster at season's start. Cheers
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:

He's closer to a PUP candidate than ever playing Week 1 dude.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll be eased into everything, I'm sure, but I don't think the idea of him being on the roster come Week 1 is that ridiculous honestly. I think PUP is an option, but to act like it's absurd that a guy who would be ~8.5 months removed from the surgery by the time TC starts would make the roster is a bit shortsighted.

Thanks, Tzimisce
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the pick, and think in year two or three he could be a real contributor. Next year though, quite unlikely.

You've got Ayers in a contract year (good production will mean millions!), Beal in his 3rd year and fighting for his NFL career and Jackson who actually showed pretty well considering both a change of position and step up to the NFL.

Toss in Shaun Phillips as a designated pass rusher and we're back to the question, who'll he replace.

Short answer, NO ONE!
mke1010

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
He'll be eased into everything, I'm sure, but I don't think the idea of him being on the roster come Week 1 is that ridiculous honestly. I think PUP is an option, but to act like it's absurd that a guy who would be ~8.5 months removed from the surgery by the time TC starts would make the roster is a bit shortsighted.

Not quite sure how you come up with the 8.5 months.

Lets look at the off season schedule:

1) May 10-12 - Rookie minicamp. Both drafted and undrafted rookies report with three days of practice.
Q will be unable to participate physically.

2) May 20-22, May 29-31, June 3-6 - Phase Three - Organized Team Activities (OTAs). Helmets on, no pads, no contact, but team drills are allowed.
Q still not able to participate.

3) June 11-13 - Mandatory minicamp. Two-a-day, required practices. No contact, no pads.
Again, Q unlikely to participate. He would be right at the 6 month mark after mandatory mini-camp.

4) Training Camp Schedule - Mandatory - To Be Announced. Usually begins in late July and runs through mid-August.
End of July would put Q's recovery at just over 7 months not 8.5 months. Let's keep our fingers crossed, he will be ready. As I said, I don't see it but I hope I am wrong.
broncos67

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

Not quite sure how you come up with the 8.5 months.

Lets look at the off season schedule:

1) May 10-12 - Rookie minicamp. Both drafted and undrafted rookies report with three days of practice.
Q will be unable to participate physically.

2) May 20-22, May 29-31, June 3-6 - Phase Three - Organized Team Activities (OTAs). Helmets on, no pads, no contact, but team drills are allowed.
Q still not able to participate.

3) June 11-13 - Mandatory minicamp. Two-a-day, required practices. No contact, no pads.
Again, Q unlikely to participate. He would be right at the 6 month mark after mandatory mini-camp.

4) Training Camp Schedule - Mandatory - To Be Announced. Usually begins in late July and runs through mid-August.
End of July would put Q's recovery at just over 7 months not 8.5 months. Let's keep our fingers crossed, he will be ready. As I said, I don't see it but I hope I am wrong.

Didn't he tear it in November? That's what I thought I read. If that's the case, then the end of July would be around 8.5 months give or take. I may have the date wrong though.

Thanks, Tzimisce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: