Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you like Reggie's BPA approach?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
DarthDavis wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the BPA strategy.
I understand that we have needs and ill admit that it's frustrating to want a DT and not see one until the end. However, drafting for need is a little short sighted and no one can see into the future to know what we'll need next year and beyond.

I think back to a few years ago when we had randy moss, had "no need" for a wr but a huge need for a qb. So what did we do? Skip on the best wr to come out of the draft in decades for... Well a giant money siphoning walrus.

Imagine if we had gone BPA just that one day how different we might be now...

i used to imagine jr throwing bombs to moss. then moss got traded and replaced with bowie. smh

Yeah. That's the only thing that could have prevented it. Laughing

no you're right cant forget about the weakest o-line in football, got rid of porter, zach miller as you only option, all star dmac always injured, new hc/oc everyear, rookie wr's and a dranking problem. all in your first 2-3 years of your nfl career.

Don't forget his infliction of lethargy. Poor giant #2.

thats what the drank does

Who forced him to sip the drank?

The O-line, WRs, OC, and his mom. Not him though, no way.

PM sig requests.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Alex smith and j Campbell went through the same thing, they're still in the league. Quit your excuses for the guy, it's disgusting. Your bias is showing...

no comparison imo 49'rs and Redskins were better run organizations.

Did you just say the Redskins are a well run organization? WTF.....

lol can you read? wtf

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot of smoke blown around draft time deliberately to obscure what players are likely to go to what team and what teams are trying to do in order to try and extract trade value, panic teams into trading up etc.

To say someone is going to draft purely BPA I think is a misnomer, Reggie would undoubtedly have a big board and probably selects directly off that, however, considerations like position (would a kicker be BPA over a slightly less talented DE for example), need etc. all play their role in creating that board so I would think it's neither one nor the other. I just don't buy the theory that we select the player who we think is the best regardless of his position.

I honestly can't believe that Reggie thought Stacey McGee, Sio Moore, Brice Butler and Nick Kasa were the absolute 'Best Player Available' where they were taken, they seem to me to be taken on potential and need with a smaller consideration to actual ability in the here and now.

That's not to say I didn't like the draft however, it's success will be seen in a couple years time of course!
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sio Moore was definitely one of the best players available when we picked him.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

I like the pick, think he will be a very good player. I don't have a problem with the selection at all......... But I can't honestly think he was a better overall player than Dallas Thomas, Alex Okafor, Keenan Allen or Damontre Moore for example. Seems very much like a 'need' pick to me in a versatile defender who can rush the passer.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Alex smith and j Campbell went through the same thing, they're still in the league. Quit your excuses for the guy, it's disgusting. Your bias is showing...

lol can you read? wtf

I'm gonna take that as a "yes". Just go on and continue making up excuses for Russell. At least you're funny when you do that

PM sig requests.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:

Absolutely. I know the gap isn't extraordinary but we got mid-2nd round talent where we did in the 3rd. I'm good w/ that.

PM sig requests.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

I like the pick, think he will be a very good player. I don't have a problem with the selection at all......... But I can't honestly think he was a better overall player than Dallas Thomas, Alex Okafor, Keenan Allen or Damontre Moore for example. Seems very much like a 'need' pick to me in a versatile defender who can rush the passer.

How would those guys not be need picks as well? Even to a greater degree. Dallas Thomas is viewed as a semi project and would play LG on our team. Where we already are supposed to be having some competition from Nix and Bergstrom. Damontre Moore has off field issues and the Raiders have established they are trying to avoid that kind of stuff. Keenan Allen is another guy with that problem possibly, as he had a flagged drug test. Okafor projects to a 4-3 SDE, where it seems that we're leaving Houston mainly.

The Sio Moore pick was fine. We coached him at the Senior Bowl. We liked what we saw. We think he's a good fit for what we're going for. Our staff knows what it wants. He was the best value for the Raiders according to what the Raiders thought.

As for the others, you're complaining about 6th and 7th round picks. Let's be real here, how often do those pan out and become big contributors anyway?

Edit: I hope this didn't come off too standoffish haha Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
Darbsk wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:

How would those guys not be need picks as well? Even to a greater degree. Dallas Thomas is viewed as a semi project and would play LG on our team. Where we already are supposed to be having some competition from Nix and Bergstrom. Damontre Moore has off field issues and the Raiders have established they are trying to avoid that kind of stuff. Keenan Allen is another guy with that problem possibly, as he had a flagged drug test. Okafor projects to a 4-3 SDE, where it seems that we're leaving Houston mainly.

The Sio Moore pick was fine. We coached him at the Senior Bowl. We liked what we saw. We think he's a good fit for what we're going for. Our staff knows what it wants. He was the best value for the Raiders according to what the Raiders thought.

As for the others, you're complaining about 6th and 7th round picks. Let's be real here, how often do those pan out and become big contributors anyway?

Edit: I hope this didn't come off too standoffish haha Smile

No, no problem let fly if you want Laughing

I'm not complaining at all, I liked our draft and like Sio Moore as a player. I just think Reggie is playing poker with all of us........saying BPA so that teams think he will pick such and such a player and then want to trade up or take a player they think we are targeting leaving the player we actually want and so on.......

I just think that we clearly (to my eyes) didn't pick BPA on several occasions. Admittedly, they may well have more information and as you say some guys have character concerns etc. but it seems that everyone is saying we are picking BPA and that is our ne MO when that doesn't seem (to me anyway) to be the case at all!

Not a problem with me either, I wouldn't want other NFL teams and 'draft gurus' to know what we're thinking anyway Wink
dante9876

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

lol can you read? wtf

I'm gonna take that as a "yes". Just go on and continue making up excuses for Russell. At least you're funny when you do that

How do you take that as a yes. He clear as day say they are better run then us at the time. Which is pretty true since we were on of the worst run organizations at the time.

"An C is better than a D"

"Did you say the C is honor roll"

uh what?
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
How do you take that as a yes. He clear as day say they are better run then us at the time. Which is pretty true since we were on of the worst run organizations at the time.

uh what?

Grammar lessons and grammar failure in one post. Awesome.

It's clearly debatable that the Redskins are worse run if not evenly bad. I'm not even trying to get into a debate w/ you though so I'm gonna leave it at that.

PM sig requests.
holyghost

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their draft board is defined the way they see it. So yeah, Sio Moore may very well have been the first name listed when the 3rd round pick came up.

Their board isn't defined by you, or the media, it's defined by scouts scouting and may look drastically different not only from accepted prospect ratings or fans ideas of players. It may also be drastically different than other teams with different scouts, philosophies, or standards.

As far as the late round guys, Reggie himself has said he strays from the BPA in the late rounds, such as 6ths and 7ths. But that he's a firm believer in BPA with the others.
dante9876

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:

uh what?

Grammar lessons and grammar failure in one post. Awesome.

It's clearly debatable that the Redskins are worse run if not evenly bad. I'm not even trying to get into a debate w/ you though so I'm gonna leave it at that.

Russells first two years here, its not really debatable at all.

Edit: love how u always fall back on attacking grammar when your post are dumb. It's to funny.
ZoomWaffle

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:

I honestly can't believe that Reggie thought Stacey McGee, Sio Moore, Brice Butler and Nick Kasa were the absolute 'Best Player Available' where they were taken, they seem to me to be taken on potential and need with a smaller consideration to actual ability in the here and now.

+1 He has got to take other factors into consideration, because there is no way anybody would rate Brice Butler ahead of Da'Rick Rogers as a prospect.

Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Darbsk wrote:

+1 He has got to take other factors into consideration, because there is no way anybody would rate Brice Butler ahead of Da'Rick Rogers as a prospect.

BPA should really mean best prospect available because that's how teams set their board. They're not looking at how the guys played, they're looking at how likely they are to play in this league. And low life scumbags like Rogers are very likely to be quickly out of the league that's why they get downgraded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: