Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do you like Reggie's BPA approach?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Do you like Reggie's BPA approach? Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000166587/article/oakland-raiders-upgrade-roster-by-ignoring-need-building-depth

Quote:
Why not? There are only so many draft picks. And plus, just like McKenzie learned while working his way up the front-office ladder in Green Bay, it's about nabbing the best available player. Otherwise, you are reaching.

"You try to go with the best guys and then you address other areas with whatever else comes available this summer, training camp or at the cut-downs," McKenzie said. "You don't stop trying to upgrade your roster."

Key example is us desperately needing a DT, and we waited until late in the draft to get one. I personally love to BPA approach, and believe the better teams in the NFL incorporate this tactic. Do you guys like the BPA approach, or do you prefer satisfying your teams most urgent needs, even if you have to slightly reach?

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
nickdawg

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not necessarily a fan of BPA regardless, nor am I a fan of waiting until the 6th round to address the D line as well as the value we got for #3, but I *DO* feel like Reggie did a great job in the Draft.
bitty

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he actually uses BPA Reggie just says he does.
Reggie says he was ready to take DJ when the third overall pick in the draft. How is it possible that he was rated the third best player in the draft? Players taken that high in the draft should have HOF careers.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Reggie says he was ready to take DJ when the third overall pick in the draft. How is it possible that he was rated the third best player in the draft? Players taken that high in the draft should have HOF careers.

Yeah..... because that makes sense. Rolling Eyes

BPA is in the eye of the beholder. Just because the media has built their list of prospects, doesn't mean they correlate to the teams.

It's about BPA for the team. How they rank the players.

The fact Hayden was considered BPA for Oakland, after signing 2 starting caliber CBs in FA shows Reggie and co. rank him the BPA for their team.

You saying "How is it possible that he was rated the third best player in the draft" is all based on media perception on where they ranked players and that's what you are reading.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bp you are saying bpa for team and that's not what I got from what Reggie said. Saying bpa for our team is like saying bpa for a need on our team. Then to me that's not really drafting bpa, it's drafting need. Cause IMO there is no way Watson was their best player on their board at our second pick. That was a bpa based on need pick to. I don't think he is going bpa approach either. That second pick was based on need.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
Bp you are saying bpa for team and that's not what I got from what Reggie said. Saying bpa for our team is like saying bpa for a need on our team. Then to me that's not really drafting bpa, it's drafting need. Cause IMO there is no way Watson was their best player on their board at our second pick. That was a bpa based on need pick to. I don't think he is going bpa approach either. That second pick was based on need.

Why? I've seen Watson projected as a late first round pick by many sources.
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:

Wouldn't that be considered media hype. Is it only media hype when we do the opposite of what the media says. I'm just asking.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:

Wouldn't that be considered media hype. Is it only media hype when we do the opposite of what the media says. I'm just asking.

That's definitely not the point. The point is since he could have been the BPA for them, why would there be no way he was the BPA for us too? I mean, maybe you have a valid reason to explain that, if that's the case, i'd just like to hear it.
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
dante9876 wrote:

That's definitely not the point. The point is since he could have been the BPA for them, why would there be no way he was the BPA for us too? I mean, maybe you have a valid reason to explain that, if that's the case, i'd just like to hear it.

Cause he played one year of RT. has limited experience in football in general. With the players that was there when we picked, I don't feel like he should have been the bpa there. I believe if we had two good tackles on this team Watson wouldnt have been the pick.
bitty

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
bitty wrote:

Yeah..... because that makes sense. Rolling Eyes

BPA is in the eye of the beholder. Just because the media has built their list of prospects, doesn't mean they correlate to the teams.

It's about BPA for the team. How they rank the players.

The fact Hayden was considered BPA for Oakland, after signing 2 starting caliber CBs in FA shows Reggie and co. rank him the BPA for their team.

You saying "How is it possible that he was rated the third best player in the draft" is all based on media perception on where they ranked players and that's what you are reading.

I don't know what BPA for the team is ? Is that the same as drafting for needs because for the most part that's what he did.
What a coincidence that the first three picks, the PBA was a position of need.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OL was the strongest position in this draft so i'm willing to consider this guy being on top of our board at #42. The fact he only played one year of division 1 football doesn't prove a lot since i'm not sure how they set their board and how much experience factors in. Dude played football for 2 years and started every game at a major school giving up one sack on the year. That could be enough to earn an early 2nd round grade.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:

this.

plus it all comes down to one's interpretation of bpa.
is it bpa in the whole draft?
bpa by position in the whole draft?
bpa by team need?
bpa by position by team need?

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
OL was the strongest position in this draft so i'm willing to consider this guy being on top of our board at #42. The fact he only played one year of division 1 football doesn't prove a lot since i'm not sure how they set their board and how much experience factors in. Dude played football for 2 years and started every game at a major school giving up one sack on the year. That could be enough to earn an early 2nd round grade.

usually imo 2nd rounders esp high 2nd rounders are usually day 1 starters. if MW can be a day 1 starter than great, if not then one might question why he was the pick. I understand that ot's were flying off the board which made the mw pick earlier than expected. i really dont think they wanted to spend that high 2nd on MW but the alternatives at ot werent there. i cant remember the last time i saw so many ot's or o-linemen period picked in the first. i would have waited and picked barrett jones in the 3rd.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN >>>>>> all of you
dante9876

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:

So like Ncough said it depends what BPA means to them then. Does it me in 3 years he is the best player out of all they could have got. Or that very minute they made the pick is he the BPA they could have got. Do you feel like he was the BPA regardless of circumstance at 42?
GJT1347

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sure beats the hell out of the WPA approach that we've been using the last 10 years.

Props to Palooka ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: