Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A thread full of semi-realistic optimism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMashMouthMike

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good posts and great offseason topic. Out of curiosity, does anyone else see some flashes of Arian Foster in Bell's running style? Might just be hopeful dreams for him combined with a vision of a competent zone blocking oline.

Thanks Lyasr 529
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any of you have paid attention, I've been optimistic since the season ended and we finished 8-8. I have been 'satisfied' as a result of the injury plague that hit us this season. The draft significantly increased my optimism for all the reasons you mentioned.

As for the Wallace comments, it's like this, the guy loves his money and thinks he's worth it, so he did what he had to do to get his money, both here and elsewhere. I'm glad he's gone because he's not the type of guy we need in our locker room. But while he was here, he did have his impact on the field.

The LT position is my only concern about our Offensive line, I really like all of our draft picks. I think Vince Williams is going to be a great leader for us also.

Great points made in this thread. Imo, you're looking at the 2013 AFC North Division Champs!

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
I do love how underlooked this team is this offseason. Don't see us in any top 10 lists for power rankings, a lot of people seemed to have us penciled in as below average, or even 4th in our division.

Agreed.

Im starting to see more and more people put the freaking BROWNS ahead of us.

Laughing

Look, Im all about being realistic, but it should be based on something. What exactly is that based on? I know teams rise and decline, but people are acting like the Steelers have fallen apart and that the Browns have made some kind of crazy great additions. Weeden, while a rookie, looked awful most of last year and while they had some bright spots, not nearly enough to say they are ready to make that leap. If Weeden had shown more, they showed enough in other areas to make that leap, OR the Steelers regressed enough, I would understand...but I dont see any of that.

Also. while I fully admit that the Ravens and Bengals could finish ahead of us, what I dont get is this idea that they are both on a level ahead of us. Last time I checked, we beat both of them once last year....and the games we lost to them were very close....one being without a HEALTHY Ben, and ones without Ben AT ALL. And its hilarious how people downplay the Ravens losses and exaggerate our own. I am not saying that none of our losses hurt, but none of the players we lost were players that couldnt be replaced at this point. Harrison I wanted to keep, but he was never a great leader or locker room guy, and his on field play was not nearly on the level it was a couple years ago. Keenan Lewis was a one year wonder (thus far) that IMO was as much of a product of Carnell Lake than anything else. Mike Wallace I still like, but was a poor scheme fit. Max Starks is the only loss that worries me really, but not really because of how GOOD he is, but because we have nothing on this roster to adequately replace him at this point.

Obviously, its too early to really say anything, but this seriously reminds me of going into 2007. Everyone was predicting doom and gloom for us after a disappointing season, and saying the same things about the other teams being better than us. We lost some key players, Ben was coming off a year where he was injured and not playing at peak performance, and everyone claimed we were declining. And the biggest difference that year was, the Ravens looked CLEARLY better in 2006 than us, and while the Bengals look more promising now, they also looked like the better team for the most part....at least on paper.

I think we are going to surprise alot of people IF Ben stays upright. While the losses hurt to a degree, people clearly focus on the negatives and ignore the major positives, like...

1) Ben will be healthy.

2) A year to learn and grow into Haley's offense.

3) A new OLine coach and HOPEFULLY a completely healthy DeCastro and Adams should bring improvement in the running game.

4) Possible major upgrade at RB. Not 100% sold on Bell and wont be until he shows something, but Redman doesnt offer much outside of being a battering ram, and Dwyer, while talented, appears to be fat and lazy. Mendy was more talented, but IMO has no love for the game and thats why I never really liked him. Bell loves the game, and his style is a better fit than Spindenhall, who had no patience, was indecisive and had worse vision than Bell.

5) Wheaton, while a rookie, is a better scheme fit than Wallace. He can go deep, and unlike Wallace, will actually make the tough catches over the middle and contribute on more than just go routes and screens.

6) Cortez Allen could very well be an upgrade from Keenan Lewis. Too soon to say, but I think he will be. He has more pure talent than Lewis ever had and again, I think Lake will mold him.

7) Despite and extreme lack of splash plays last year, this team was in every game. Even if our total numbers are down on defense, I expect the defense to be better. Our defense was overrated last year.....Ill gladly give up being first in yards allowed if it means we get some more splash plays.

8_) While I think Hampton is a loss, its not like he was on the field a whole lot, so while I worry about our running game without him, its not like we have to replace a guy who was always on the field.

9) The loss of Harrison sucks for the running game, but I could actually see our pass rush being better without him. Both Jones and yes, even Worlids, are more explosive at this point. Harrison was shut down one on one too easly last year when going after the QB.

10) This team always seems to respond after a down season and when people put them down. 2009, we finished 9-7 and going into 2010 had alot of locker room turmoil and Ben was out for the first 4 games. Everyone had us a 8-8 at best. We responded by going 12-4 and nearly winning the SB.

I sometimes feel like this team is under prepared with Tomlin....except when the chips are down....thats when he seems to do his best work.

Im not claiming we will win the diivion or even have a winning record, but Id put ALOT more money on us going 14-2 and being the top seed in the AFC than us finishing dead last in the AFC North.

Until Dalton and/or Weeden show more, I am not sold on either taking their teams very far. Dalton, while decent, is basically a slightly better version of Matt Cassell, and Weeden...as Ive said since they drafted him, I think he is a wasted pick.

Bottom line...I love that we are being treated like a lesser team. Much better than when everyone picks us to be the best in the division.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to say that I agree with every statement you made 43.

Every year, I've seen this talked about a little bit on Sportcenter by former coaches like Dungy, Mangini, and others, coaches will go to the schedule posted on the wall and mark off the games they think are wins and the games they think are 'swing games'.

I see a lot of people marking the Steelers as a win for them on their schedule. I see a lot of teams underestimating the 'aging defense' of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I like it when that happens, we play better when that happens.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
WorldBFree

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the optimism at all (at least for next season). This team lost its best running back, best LT, best NT, best pass rusher, fastest WR, and their 2nd best corner. How can a team be better after that?

I don't think the Steelers are close to being a playoff team. I think this roster is as weak as any in recent memory.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldBFree wrote:
I don't get the optimism at all (at least for next season). This team lost its best running back, best LT, best NT, best pass rusher, fastest WR, and their 2nd best corner. How can a team be better after that?

I don't think the Steelers are close to being a playoff team. I think this roster is as weak as any in recent memory.

You dont get the optimism because you are clearly just looking at all the bad things.

Best RB - Mendy was absolutely nothing special. Not a big loss, especially considering he was worthless last year. Our running game can only get better.

Best LT - This is the loss that worries me the most, but there is a good chance of him being signed after June 1st, and if he isnt...just have to hope Adams pass blocking has improved. Still, anything is better than Jon Scott, and we won games with him.

Best pass rusher- Harrison is not even close to what he used to be, and IMO, unlike past years, wasnt CLEARLY the best pass rusher. He was held in check too easily last year.

Best NT - Again, he might be resigned, and if he isnt, he isnt a full time player anyway.

Fastest WR - Okay, and he was a poor fit for Haley's offense. I like Wallace, and Id be worried if this were Arians O, but in Haley's offense, its not a huge loss.

2nd best corner....debatable, and he had one good year, which wasnt even as good as some made it out to be. Wouldve preferred to have kept him, but he isnt a huge loss.

How can the team be better? - More splash plays on defense (very few last year), healthy OLine, better OLine coach (on paper, at least), healthy Ben, a year and offseason to grow and learn in Haley's offense, Haley is more familiar with our team and what our players can and cant do, etc....

Factor in that this team was in every single game and that correctable mistakes were the main reason we missed the playoffs last year.

I'm not saying we WILL be better, but we absolutely CAN be better. This team wasnt great last year, and several of players we lost were players that werent great last year.

James Harrison in the running game and Max Starks pass blocking at LT are the only things I think this team will sorely miss. Everything else can be replicated and/or improved upon.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldBFree wrote:

What team do you cheer for? Just checking because it's not the Steelers, that's not possible unless you're the biggest bandwagon fan of any in recent memory.

Best RB? Based on what? Based on injuries and fumbles? Based on clearly forgetting how to hit open holes?

Best LT? Yes perhaps that's true but he was also the oldest.
Best NT? Perhaps, again..the oldest. Very possibly going to be resigned but he'll be a rotational type player anyway.

Best Pass Rusher? Not hardly. There was a day when he was, but whether or not I believe in Worilds, Worilds had 5 sacks as a BACKUP. Harrison has lost a few steps.

Fastest WR - Yep, if all you consider valuable in a WR is speed, yep, we lost our best. If you desire good hands, good route running, good scheme fits, Wallace was our worst.

2nd Best Corner - Based on 1 season? C'mon, maybe he was but we didn't have time to truly find that out. There is a lot of potential with Cortez Allen, he'll do just fine replacing Keenan Lewis.

On top of that you have to factor in the # of injuries we had last season. I mean c'mon, how's a team supposed to contend with that? Look around the league, the teams with the worst luck on the offensive line, lost a lot of games. We didn't just have injury issues on the Oline, we lost 2 QB's, RB's at various times, tons of defensive players, etc.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SteelProven

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
I do love how underlooked this team is this offseason. Don't see us in any top 10 lists for power rankings, a lot of people seemed to have us penciled in as below average, or even 4th in our division.

Agreed.

Im starting to see more and more people put the freaking BROWNS ahead of us.

Laughing

Look, Im all about being realistic, but it should be based on something. What exactly is that based on? I know teams rise and decline, but people are acting like the Steelers have fallen apart and that the Browns have made some kind of crazy great additions. Weeden, while a rookie, looked awful most of last year and while they had some bright spots, not nearly enough to say they are ready to make that leap. If Weeden had shown more, they showed enough in other areas to make that leap, OR the Steelers regressed enough, I would understand...but I dont see any of that.

Also. while I fully admit that the Ravens and Bengals could finish ahead of us, what I dont get is this idea that they are both on a level ahead of us. Last time I checked, we beat both of them once last year....and the games we lost to them were very close....one being without a HEALTHY Ben, and ones without Ben AT ALL. And its hilarious how people downplay the Ravens losses and exaggerate our own. I am not saying that none of our losses hurt, but none of the players we lost were players that couldnt be replaced at this point. Harrison I wanted to keep, but he was never a great leader or locker room guy, and his on field play was not nearly on the level it was a couple years ago. Keenan Lewis was a one year wonder (thus far) that IMO was as much of a product of Carnell Lake than anything else. Mike Wallace I still like, but was a poor scheme fit. Max Starks is the only loss that worries me really, but not really because of how GOOD he is, but because we have nothing on this roster to adequately replace him at this point.

Obviously, its too early to really say anything, but this seriously reminds me of going into 2007. Everyone was predicting doom and gloom for us after a disappointing season, and saying the same things about the other teams being better than us. We lost some key players, Ben was coming off a year where he was injured and not playing at peak performance, and everyone claimed we were declining. And the biggest difference that year was, the Ravens looked CLEARLY better in 2006 than us, and while the Bengals look more promising now, they also looked like the better team for the most part....at least on paper.

I think we are going to surprise alot of people IF Ben stays upright. While the losses hurt to a degree, people clearly focus on the negatives and ignore the major positives, like...

1) Ben will be healthy.

2) A year to learn and grow into Haley's offense.

3) A new OLine coach and HOPEFULLY a completely healthy DeCastro and Adams should bring improvement in the running game.

4) Possible major upgrade at RB. Not 100% sold on Bell and wont be until he shows something, but Redman doesnt offer much outside of being a battering ram, and Dwyer, while talented, appears to be fat and lazy. Mendy was more talented, but IMO has no love for the game and thats why I never really liked him. Bell loves the game, and his style is a better fit than Spindenhall, who had no patience, was indecisive and had worse vision than Bell.

5) Wheaton, while a rookie, is a better scheme fit than Wallace. He can go deep, and unlike Wallace, will actually make the tough catches over the middle and contribute on more than just go routes and screens.

6) Cortez Allen could very well be an upgrade from Keenan Lewis. Too soon to say, but I think he will be. He has more pure talent than Lewis ever had and again, I think Lake will mold him.

7) Despite and extreme lack of splash plays last year, this team was in every game. Even if our total numbers are down on defense, I expect the defense to be better. Our defense was overrated last year.....Ill gladly give up being first in yards allowed if it means we get some more splash plays.

8_) While I think Hampton is a loss, its not like he was on the field a whole lot, so while I worry about our running game without him, its not like we have to replace a guy who was always on the field.

9) The loss of Harrison sucks for the running game, but I could actually see our pass rush being better without him. Both Jones and yes, even Worlids, are more explosive at this point. Harrison was shut down one on one too easly last year when going after the QB.

10) This team always seems to respond after a down season and when people put them down. 2009, we finished 9-7 and going into 2010 had alot of locker room turmoil and Ben was out for the first 4 games. Everyone had us a 8-8 at best. We responded by going 12-4 and nearly winning the SB.

I sometimes feel like this team is under prepared with Tomlin....except when the chips are down....thats when he seems to do his best work.

Im not claiming we will win the diivion or even have a winning record, but Id put ALOT more money on us going 14-2 and being the top seed in the AFC than us finishing dead last in the AFC North.

Until Dalton and/or Weeden show more, I am not sold on either taking their teams very far. Dalton, while decent, is basically a slightly better version of Matt Cassell, and Weeden...as Ive said since they drafted him, I think he is a wasted pick.

Bottom line...I love that we are being treated like a lesser team. Much better than when everyone picks us to be the best in the division.

The highlight part is when I really got excited.

Now that's a post 43M!!!! LOL

Great write up!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorldBFree wrote:

Best RB - Mendenhall wasn't good. We replaced him with a guy who is just as good, if not better, and is certainly a better fit for the team. Besides, our "best RB" was the only RB of the 3 that started who DIDN'T break 100 yards last season. Redman hit 147 and Dwyer hit 100+ in back-to-back games, somethng Mendenhall has failed to do in his entire career.

Best LT - Max could still come back, and Mike Adams is a much better athlete. Duane Brown was terrible his first 2 or 3 seasons before he became dominant. I like Max and hope he's back, but he's not a game changer

Best NT - this is a potential loss, but Casey was victimized constantly by no-huddle/zone stretch running teams and generated no pass rush. Time to move on.

best pass rusher - yes, Harrison is quite a loss and I'm not happy about it. No arguments. Hopefully Woodley gets his mojo back and either Worilds or DawgBones can step up

Fastest WR - he was also a known locker room issue and a petulent diva whose production didn't match his demands. We got a WR who is already a more polished route runner and who has shown he'll actually jump in the air to get a pass

2nd best CB - very arguable. Cortez allen generated more turnovers in 2 games last season than Lewis did in his career, and he already showed the ability to do a helluva job on a guy like Rob Gronkowski.

there are legitimate concerns but there is upside to the talent, though unproven, on this team.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw an interesting comparison elsewhere about LeVeon Bell and stylistically, it makes perfect sense. Taller, more upright runner with some size, but not really a power bruiser RB. Good hands, good pass pro, not really a burner but fast enough. So checked the physical traits, and they're more alike than I thought with 2 notable exceptions.

LeVeon Bell // Matt Forte
Height: 6013 // 6013
Weight: 230 // 217
40 yard: 4.56 // 4.44
bench: 24 // 23
Broad: 9'10 // 9'10
Vert: 31.5 // 33
3-cone: 6.75 // 6.84
20-shuttle: 4.24 // 4.23

The stylistic comparison makes a lot more sense than Steven Jackson, to say the least.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not predicting this, I'm not saying it's likely to happen even, but with all these people trash talking the Steelers, could you imagine the outcry if the Steelers won the Super Bowl.. LOL!

On a side note, if there was ever a year, this could be the year someone plays a homegame in the Super Bowl. Please don't tell me you were thinking the Jets.... Laughing

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
saw an interesting comparison elsewhere about LeVeon Bell and stylistically, it makes perfect sense. Taller, more upright runner with some size, but not really a power bruiser RB. Good hands, good pass pro, not really a burner but fast enough. So checked the physical traits, and they're more alike than I thought with 2 notable exceptions.

The stylistic comparison makes a lot more sense than Steven Jackson, to say the least.

I wonder if their 40s/vert would be closer if Bell played 13 pounds lighter.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

They mentioned at the draft that he intentionally lost some weight in an effort to improve his 40 time. It didn't work. I don't know if it helped his vert. If I remember correctly, the vert, 3 cone and shuttle are key components in the KEI (which measures explosiveness. Though their traits are awfully similliar, the differences between the 40 and 3 cone may have a significant impact on measured explosiveness (FWTW).

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
kethnaab wrote:

They mentioned at the draft that he intentionally lost some weight in an effort to improve his 40 time. It didn't work. I don't know if it helped his vert. If I remember correctly, the vert, 3 cone and shuttle are key components in the KEI (which measures explosiveness. Though their traits are awfully similliar, the differences between the 40 and 3 cone may have a significant impact on measured explosiveness (FWTW).

4.56 is not a bad time at all IMO for someone his size, even at 230. I heard that he lost about 10 pounds for the combine as well, but for all we know the Steeler's conditioning coaches will decide he is better off playing at that weight and he will have better speed in the NFL than he showed last year. The 10th of a second difference between him and Forte could be a result of him not coming out of his stance as well which obviously means nothing for football (I'm not saying Bell definitly didn't get out of his stance well but for a running back 4.5's is not bad at all).

Also wasn't his 3 cone one of the better RB times this year?

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A thread full of semi-realistic optimism Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
So lately it's been a bit of an oddity with me, this strange feeling of optimism. I can honestly say I'm more optimistic after this year's draft than any since 2004. I have a few ideas as to why this is true:

1) Offensive line - I am quite confident the offensive line will come together this season and avoid injury (somewhat). During the healthy stretch last season, we managed to put up several extremely strong performances in the run game with low-talent/low-heart players like Isaac Redman/Jonathan Dwyer

2) Coinciding with #1, I'm really happy about the LeVeon Bell pick. He is an ideal match for the system, moreso than Eddie Lacey simply because his hands and pass pro are already NFL-ready. I like Lacey a bit more as a bullish runner between the tackles, but Bell has good feet and shiftiness and a bit more speed. Knowing that Lacey had a health red flag is enough to make me perfectly happy with Bell

3) Our WR corps this year and moving forward is possibly becoming a strength again. Sanders will be playing for a contract and I really like Wheaton who is, again, a fairly pro-ready WR as far as route running and understanding route concepts. Breaston might be a solid addition to the mix as well

4) Another year under Haley's offense for Ben and the entire offensive line should do wonders for their execution of the playbook, as should a reduction in Wallace-whining and missing the Brucey.

5) The addition of Shamarko Thomas and Terry Hawthorne adds a TON of breakneck speed to our secondary, something we've been somewhat lacking in. This will be the first off-season that Carnell Lake gets to work his magic on Curtis Brown. If he can manage to stay healthy, we will be able to transition into a changing of the guard in the secondary, with Cortez Allen, Hawthorne, and Brown at the 3x CB slots, and Shamarko/Golden at SS/FS.

6) The removal of suspected locker room cancer Mike Wallace and his bestest boyhood chum Keenan Lewis, plus the addition of 4x team captains (Vince Williams, Shark, DawgBones, and Wheaton) has got to provide a boost to the locker room

7) Vince Williams - Many of you know (Especially in FFMD) that I'm a huge Vince Williams fan. we may have found our Larry Foote replacement, a signal caller and defensive captain for the #2 defense in the nation last year behind only Alabama. Obviously won't happen this year, but I think he can be a real contributor as a future defensive captain

8 ) Woodley and Worilds being well-conditioned. Call me crazy, but I believe the first-round addition of Jarvis Jones should have put both of them on alert. 2 OLB slots, 3 OLBs. We don't rotate much. At the very least, Worilds has to know his position on the team is in jeopardy. If a 1st round draft pick at YOUR POSITION isn't enough to wake you up and bring out your best, nothing is.

Now certainly there is much to worry about. Will Ben truly 'buy in' on the offense? Will Woodley actually hit camp at OLB weight instead of DT/5-tech weight? Will Troy remain healthy long enough for Shark to get his feet under him and get up to speed with the NFL game? Will Jarvis Jones be allowed to move around to take advantage of mismatches, or will he be stuck in the same static ROLB position that Deebo was his entire career here? Will Cam Heyward see the field more than 10-15 snaps per game, on average? Will the NT position be solidified or will it crumble?

Dunno the answers, but I"m looking forward to finding out

This about as much optimism as one can have and all realistic . For me it won't be the same without 92 out there, regardless if worilds and woodley have career years. Attitude just can't be replaced, a legend is gone.

The OL could be a strength, I see no reason why Adams can't be a good LT. As long as he gets a full camp and preseason in and isn't hurt like last year, he will be fine for the most part. Gilbert is the question mark here.

I like the way the team addressed all the lost players, glad wallace is gone and replaced with probably a better player. Nice work FO there. RB should be better with Bell, lets get the running game back like the 3 week stretch when Adams was in at RT and dominate the game.

Areas that lack optimism for me :
gilbert
DL with scheme
willie better be gone, not sure about the nickel this year
LeBeau not allowing younger/better players to play and keeping his buddies on the field
attitude on D - no replacing 92 Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: