Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Grade this Offseason
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RedGreenShow


Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 1674
Location: Nati
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Grade this Offseason Reply with quote

Just wondering what everyone thinks of how we handled this offseason.

Free Agency:
Even though we barely added any foreign talent through FA, i still believe it was our best aspect of this offseason. Signing Andre Smith was huge, and alleviated a somewhat 'OK' draft. Without signing Smith, Watson could have been the pick at 53. Also, signing all our in house depth players will be key in maintaining chemistry and growth throughout the club. We can honestly say we haven't gotten any worse and have only improved our roster. The only thing i'm not really a fan of was bringing back Maualuga. The guy was just really porous all around and looked horrendous on occasion. Especially agaisnt Houston in the wild-card game. I think i'm in the majority here wanting Burfict to make the shift to MLB. Although there is still a chance we could sign a vet to play SS, it's not likely, so that void should have been filled through the draft. Which it wasn't. Overall, we signed the guys we should have signed, no key FA got away, we managed to snag James Harrison, and we were able to go BPA through the draft (for the most part). We also kept a ton of money leftover to sign future bright stars. I think we did a really good job.
Grade: A

NFL Draft:
Here is where things kind of disappointed me. With no glaring needs outside of SS, we could basically do what we wanted with the picks. And yet, out of a phenomenal group of safety prospects, we completely failed to bring in a talent who can compete to start immediately. I'm still unsure of the Eifert pick. He's a great talent, and possibly the best TE to come out since Gresham/Pettigrew a few years back (probably even better), but i'm still wary of how he'll be utilized in Cinci. We can barely get Gresham involved in the game most games, let alone getting two TE's active. I'm excited to see what he can bring, but i still feel we should have went Jonathan Cyprien (who is apparently a man amongst boys in Jacksonville's rookie camp). The run on safeties went fast and furious, and we neglected the position of need in order to snatch higher graded prospects. This tends to happen every year, and we are stuck with the athletically gifted, yet incapable starters like Sands and Iloka. We even had a chance at Swearinger in the 2nd, and instead opted for the Eastern block to add depth to an already deep defensive end rotation. I understand the value, but i just don't think it's the right move. So, we went into the draft after FA needing a starting SS and a 3rd down back, the rest was gravy. We managed to fill one of two needs, as the SS hole still remains to be seen.
Grade: B

Overall Grade of Offeason: A-

Whatta ya'll think?

PS. Sorry for rambling i'm bored as hell.
_________________
[quote="YoursTruly"]He doesn't get the ball because he is shut down. Zero seperation. It is my understanding that Elite WR should be able to do this when their number is called. AJ gets shut down relatively easy.[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23515
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn. I liked didn't love FA. Bringing back Rey and Geathers really kills me. I don't love the Harrison signing. I love bringing Andre and Pacman back along with Gilberry. I thought we could have done more with the money we had. Sign Daryl Smith to be our SLB instead of Rey.

My grade for our draft was an A- or B+. I hated missing on Brown and Swearinger. With S being our biggest need I hate waiting until the 3rd to get one. I wanted Cyprien, but don't mind Eifert over him at 21.

I wasn't a fan of the Gresham pick years ago because I don't think we use a TE well enough. Let alone take another one at 21 scares me. I think Eifert can be a great weapon IF used properly which I don't know that we can do. I like getting Gio and Porter along with Fragel and Burkhead. Don't dislike Hunt, just dislike who we took him over.
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CDub


Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 543
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I was very pleased with what we did in the draft. I like Shawn Williams quite a bit and think he is being very much overlooked. Margus Hunt being 25, 26 when the season starts worries me a bit though, that's the only thing in this draft that I was somewhat worried about. Like some have stated though, he doesn't have as much tread on the tires as other guys though his age, he hasn't played football for THAT long.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CDub


Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 543
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTI_QZm7RHo

Seriously though, I don't know how you can't be happy with a guy like this. Sure, you maybe would rather see more of a ballhawker, but they used him as more of a LB this past year, which imo is why his interceptions were swiped away compared to his Jr year. At least that's what i've read up.

He's a vocal leader that brings toughness to a team that plays in a division that needs it. I'm excited about this guy, going to be a monster I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3544
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
With S being our biggest need


Sure, safety may have been our biggest need positionally, but our defence was ranked #8 overall (ppg) last year, whereas we were 27th overall in 3rd down conversions.

The Bengals obviously thought converting more 3rd downs was our biggest area of need, and I can't say I disagree with them.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
THE DUKE


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 15764
Location: Centerville, OH
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B+. I couldn't give it an A since the interior oline is still a big concern of mine.
_________________

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
INbengalfan


Joined: 21 Jan 2006
Posts: 5749
Location: Richmond, IN
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean Williams can play. I am a Bulldog fan (especially since Marvin started taking at least one annually). He gets overshadowed by the bigger name guys, but was money at the back end of their defense. While I would have preferred Cyprien, there's no reason to complain that we didn't get him. Eiffert will definitely help in the red zone and hopefully expose the seems from deeper back. He is a more reliable pass catcher than Gresham, freeing Green and Jermaine up more. If they can ghet Pressley to catch a few more balls, the red zone will really open up option-wise. (And for those thinking we cut the fullback, i don't buy it. We wwere horrid in the red zone last year and dropping a FB won't help that improve).

Free agency might have been boring, but it went exactly as the front office planned. they got the guys they wanted back at the price they wanted them. ASmith had us nervous, but in the end, Mike Brown wins, as he always does. I can't wait to see harrison explode against Pitt and Baltimore (don't forget he WAS IN THEIR BUILDING when the Ravens signed Doom).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theJ


Moderator
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 19260
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Grade this Offseason Reply with quote

RedGreenShow wrote:
Also, signing all our in house depth players will be key in maintaining chemistry and growth throughout the club. We can honestly say we haven't gotten any worse and have only improved our roster.

Agreed, but everyone says that about their team. We'll have to see how this team stacks up against all the other "improved" teams.

RedGreenShow wrote:
The only thing i'm not really a fan of was bringing back Maualuga. The guy was just really porous all around and looked horrendous on occasion. Especially agaisnt Houston in the wild-card game. I think i'm in the majority here wanting Burfict to make the shift to MLB.

Consider me in the minority. Burfict is great at WILL. Doesn't mean he'll be a great MLB. Keep him where he's producing. And i say that because of what happened to Maualuga. Looked good at SLB. Moved him because he looked good, and he's never been the same.

RedGreenShow wrote:
I'm still unsure of the Eifert pick. He's a great talent, and possibly the best TE to come out since Gresham/Pettigrew a few years back (probably even better), but i'm still wary of how he'll be utilized in Cinci. We can barely get Gresham involved in the game most games, let alone getting two TE's active.

If Gresham isn't "involved", then i don't know what you would consider involved. He did have 64 catches and 737 yards last year. That's involved. News flash: this team uses a TE. And there's plenty of potential for more, IMO.

RedGreenShow wrote:
I'm excited to see what he can bring, but i still feel we should have went Jonathan Cyprien (who is apparently a man amongst boys in Jacksonville's rookie camp).

Ok, i'll be the voice of reason here: he looks like a man among boys because they are boys. They're mostly UDFA's. Any draft pick should look great in rookie camp.

In any case, it's too early to tell. I won't give a grade because i think that's silly. But i think the Bengals did what they've done the past 3 years: build through the draft, not FA, and continue to make all of you guys mad. So in that regard, they did very well. Laughing
_________________


Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3544
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Grade this Offseason Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Ok, i'll be the voice of reason here: he looks like a man among boys because they are boys. They're mostly UDFA's. Any draft pick should look great in rookie camp.

In any case, it's too early to tell. I won't give a grade because i think that's silly. But i think the Bengals did what they've done the past 3 years: build through the draft, not FA, and continue to make all of you guys mad. So in that regard, they did very well. Laughing

I agree 'J', its so important to hit on your draft picks, and this class looks like another decent one IMO. Time will tell of course.

Regarding safety, its interesting that the Ravens had the chance to take Cyprien, and preferred Elam, and most of us had Cyprien ahead of Elam.

Its goanna be interesting to see how Sean Williams plays, but just watching some highlights, he looks a real good hard SEC DB, and some of those picks shows he has good hands. He might be the second best safety we have on the roster already.

He has a bit of swagger; a bit of Steve Atwater about him, and if he proves to be as good as Atwater, we'll be set.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johndeere1707


Joined: 01 Apr 2006
Posts: 6133
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only pick I didn't like was Tanner Hawkinson only because I've never heard of him and the scouting reports I read on him weren't too good
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CDub


Joined: 01 Oct 2012
Posts: 543
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
The only pick I didn't like was Tanner Hawkinson only because I've never heard of him and the scouting reports I read on him weren't too good


Yeah, that's what i've come across as well. Sounds as if his only big glaring problem is his strength though. Hopefully by working with NFL strength coaches that can be changed.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LondonBengal


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 3544
Location: London, England, UK
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
The only pick I didn't like was Tanner Hawkinson only because I've never heard of him and the scouting reports I read on him weren't too good


Probably another Paul Alexander goof.

Not sure he's hit on a late round OL in all his years. The last guy he glowed about in the 5th round was Otis Hudson. Hope Hawkinson works out better for us than Hudson did.
_________________
" Democracy is a system where two idiots can out-vote a genius..........."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ochocinco4pres


Joined: 04 Apr 2007
Posts: 23515
Location: Indianapolis Indiana
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
With S being our biggest need


Sure, safety may have been our biggest need positionally, but our defence was ranked #8 overall (ppg) last year, whereas we were 27th overall in 3rd down conversions.

The Bengals obviously thought converting more 3rd downs was our biggest area of need, and I can't say I disagree with them.


I understand that. But in the end we couldn't stop a TE or RB and had bad safety play against the pass and run. So despite our overall high ranking, you clearly could tell why we weren't ranked higher.

I am happy we upgraded the offense because they haven't shown up in either playoff game. Just wish we would have put a bigger priority on S at some point this offseason
_________________


Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ark23


Joined: 04 Dec 2012
Posts: 1560
Location: Columbus, Ohio
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
The only pick I didn't like was Tanner Hawkinson only because I've never heard of him and the scouting reports I read on him weren't too good
The Hawkinson pick would be great if we had taken him in the seventh and Fragel in the fifth, but regardless it isn't at all bad. He was a four year starter at Kansas, pretty good athlete, underrated feet and I think he can also play some guard though he may need to get stronger in his lower body.

Honestly the draft didn't wow me. There were picks I liked, Fragel, Porter, Johnsom and Eifert specifically. But I was also disappointed with selections of Bernard and Shawn Williams especially. Neither was good value and I think they are both stiff guys which for the position they play isn't great. Bernard doesn't have elite feet, he's a little stiff and lacks top end speed/great burst. Williams is not an interchangeable safety, love his physicality but he's stiff, not great in space and I don't see great range with him.

Free Agency was handled splendidly. I do wonder if it was necessary to draft Hawkinson and Fragel with Andre Smith resigned but maybe (I can hope) Roland won't make it onto the fifty three this year.

Refreshing to see this team continue to use Duke Tobin and actually go out and scout, find some guys with potential. Don't really love Margus Hunt but I can say I'm excited for his potential especially with the way we've been able to maximize these physically gifted players on the d-line. It's clear we have a vision on both sides of the ball and I like that we are finding guys who fit what we want. That's critical to success in the NFL.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Skinsfan13


Joined: 18 May 2011
Posts: 196
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ark23 wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:
The only pick I didn't like was Tanner Hawkinson only because I've never heard of him and the scouting reports I read on him weren't too good
The Hawkinson pick would be great if we had taken him in the seventh and Fragel in the fifth, but regardless it isn't at all bad. He was a four year starter at Kansas, pretty good athlete, underrated feet and I think he can also play some guard though he may need to get stronger in his lower body.

Honestly the draft didn't wow me. There were picks I liked, Fragel, Porter, Johnsom and Eifert specifically. But I was also disappointed with selections of Bernard and Shawn Williams especially. Neither was good value and I think they are both stiff guys which for the position they play isn't great. Bernard doesn't have elite feet, he's a little stiff and lacks top end speed/great burst. Williams is not an interchangeable safety, love his physicality but he's stiff, not great in space and I don't see great range with him.

Free Agency was handled splendidly. I do wonder if it was necessary to draft Hawkinson and Fragel with Andre Smith resigned but maybe (I can hope) Roland won't make it onto the fifty three this year.

Refreshing to see this team continue to use Duke Tobin and actually go out and scout, find some guys with potential. Don't really love Margus Hunt but I can say I'm excited for his potential especially with the way we've been able to maximize these physically gifted players on the d-line. It's clear we have a vision on both sides of the ball and I like that we are finding guys who fit what we want. That's critical to success in the NFL.


I agree with pretty much everything you posted except for the Gio analysis (but we've discussed that elsewhere and I respect your opinion on the matter, even if it differs from mine appreciably). I love Gio. I think that he's going to be the catalyst that gets Dalton going for you guys, even moreso than Eifert. I've watched Flacco for all of these years find Rice in the flat to prolong drives and Gio's going to do exactly that for Dalton. He's also going to give Dalton an additional, simple read on every play that he runs a pattern in, and he also gives him the ability to generate chunk plays on simple passes, something that helps young qbs out immeasurably.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xorufvcoF-0

I do think that Shawn Williams can be a useful piece for you guys as well. He's not without his warts, but he is an athletic, tough kid that brings a physical presence in the box, and Zimmer somehow made Roy Williams look like a competent player when you guys gave him starts in the latter part of his career when he was significantly diminished and didn't have nearly the juice that Shawn Williams has now, so I believe that Zimmer can make it work. He does have ability.
_________________
http://www.careercenter.umich.edu/images/dc_skyline.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group