Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Long Term - RT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 25127
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
If we are strictly looking at this from a long term perspective, it would be in the Cowboys best interest to see what Parnell can do as the full time starter. However, that may not be in Jason Garrett's best interest as he is probably gone if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs for a 4th year in a row.

The way I see it is that the Cowboys franchised Spencer a second time, restructured hella contracts which borrowed from from future salary caps to put the best possible team on the field this year. Why stop now? After all the restructuring, the Cowboys have the money to sign Clabo who is better than Parnell. It makes sense to put the best possible team on the field in 2013. It makes no sense to halfass the OL when the team seems to be going "all in" on the 2013 season.


I don't particularly agree that the Cowboys are in an ALL-IN mode. If anything, the way I view the draft it was from the long-game perspective.

Although I do agree with the point that it's in Redballs best interest. I don't think he survives another .500 or worse year.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKDALfan


Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 2446
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that some of you make it sound like Parnell's growth will completely be stunned if we get Clabo on a 1 year contract. It's only like 3 years since Parnell was playing DE, another year as the swing tackle and another year of training should only ease the mistakes when he eventually do start. If he starts the season bad to the extend that he's to mentally low to recover and makes alot of penalties because of that (a bit like Free), this could turn ugly if we have no other behind him. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket.

- I don't think getting Clabo on a 1 year contract will be costing big time in the long term, but it could help big time short term if Parnell yet isn't ready to the starting role on a daily basis (even tho I feel comfortable he is).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dboys88-82


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree DKAL. I like Parnell, but i do think another year behind a guy like clabo could do him a lot of good. He has been quite the project as mentioned (was a DE). He is a great swing tackle at the moment. He can play both spots pretty effectively.
_________________

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 13723
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
I will say that some of you make it sound like Parnell's growth will completely be stunned if we get Clabo on a 1 year contract. It's only like 3 years since Parnell was playing DE, another year as the swing tackle and another year of training should only ease the mistakes when he eventually do start. If he starts the season bad to the extend that he's to mentally low to recover and makes alot of penalties because of that (a bit like Free), this could turn ugly if we have no other behind him. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket.

- I don't think getting Clabo on a 1 year contract will be costing big time in the long term, but it could help big time short term if Parnell yet isn't ready to the starting role on a daily basis (even tho I feel comfortable he is).


I don't see it as a stunting the growth as much as I see it more a full disclosure. IIRC, Parnell has 2 years remaining on his contract. If Clabo plays this year and Parnell next... What happens if Parnell has a lot of ups and downs as would be expected with a first year starter. Do the cowboys make that financial commitment or do they move on? I think if Parnell has 2 full years as a starter, you know for sure what you're buying. And I think that's what a team is looking for long term.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DKDALfan


Joined: 18 Mar 2011
Posts: 2446
Location: Denmark
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
I will say that some of you make it sound like Parnell's growth will completely be stunned if we get Clabo on a 1 year contract. It's only like 3 years since Parnell was playing DE, another year as the swing tackle and another year of training should only ease the mistakes when he eventually do start. If he starts the season bad to the extend that he's to mentally low to recover and makes alot of penalties because of that (a bit like Free), this could turn ugly if we have no other behind him. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket.

- I don't think getting Clabo on a 1 year contract will be costing big time in the long term, but it could help big time short term if Parnell yet isn't ready to the starting role on a daily basis (even tho I feel comfortable he is).


I don't see it as a stunting the growth as much as I see it more a full disclosure. IIRC, Parnell has 2 years remaining on his contract. If Clabo plays this year and Parnell next... What happens if Parnell has a lot of ups and downs as would be expected with a first year starter. Do the cowboys make that financial commitment or do they move on? I think if Parnell has 2 full years as a starter, you know for sure what you're buying. And I think that's what a team is looking for long term.


I can understand that argument. But let's say that Clabo wins the starting job this season and Parnell has an up and down season as in the scenario you are describing, then we really wouldn't have to make a extension with the numbers and length that would make it a commitment that in the future could come back and bite us in the ***. With one starting season that is a bit up and a bit down, his market would be limited and therefor he wouldn't be expensive along with it would be in his best interest to sign a short term deal so that he could prove that he deserves more money. So, I don't really see the extension that we would have to give him after 1 season as a starter as a problem, since it most likely would be for a somewhat fair price and for only a couple of years and therefor not a noteworthy future commitment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The_Slamman


Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 13723
Location: Las Vegas, NV
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DKDALfan wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
DKDALfan wrote:
I will say that some of you make it sound like Parnell's growth will completely be stunned if we get Clabo on a 1 year contract. It's only like 3 years since Parnell was playing DE, another year as the swing tackle and another year of training should only ease the mistakes when he eventually do start. If he starts the season bad to the extend that he's to mentally low to recover and makes alot of penalties because of that (a bit like Free), this could turn ugly if we have no other behind him. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket.

- I don't think getting Clabo on a 1 year contract will be costing big time in the long term, but it could help big time short term if Parnell yet isn't ready to the starting role on a daily basis (even tho I feel comfortable he is).


I don't see it as a stunting the growth as much as I see it more a full disclosure. IIRC, Parnell has 2 years remaining on his contract. If Clabo plays this year and Parnell next... What happens if Parnell has a lot of ups and downs as would be expected with a first year starter. Do the cowboys make that financial commitment or do they move on? I think if Parnell has 2 full years as a starter, you know for sure what you're buying. And I think that's what a team is looking for long term.


I can understand that argument. But let's say that Clabo wins the starting job this season and Parnell has an up and down season as in the scenario you are describing, then we really wouldn't have to make a extension with the numbers and length that would make it a commitment that in the future could come back and bite us in the ***. With one starting season that is a bit up and a bit down, his market would be limited and therefor he wouldn't be expensive along with it would be in his best interest to sign a short term deal so that he could prove that he deserves more money. So, I don't really see the extension that we would have to give him after 1 season as a starter as a problem, since it most likely would be for a somewhat fair price and for only a couple of years and therefor not a noteworthy future commitment.


I understand what you're saying. I'm worried about a Doug free scenario where he starts a little over a year... Has his ups and downs, but is young and you don't want to lose or start over. In retrospect we should have never signed free to that extension.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 10512
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
If we are strictly looking at this from a long term perspective, it would be in the Cowboys best interest to see what Parnell can do as the full time starter. However, that may not be in Jason Garrett's best interest as he is probably gone if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs for a 4th year in a row.

The way I see it is that the Cowboys franchised Spencer a second time, restructured hella contracts which borrowed from from future salary caps to put the best possible team on the field this year. Why stop now? After all the restructuring, the Cowboys have the money to sign Clabo who is better than Parnell. It makes sense to put the best possible team on the field in 2013. It makes no sense to halfass the OL when the team seems to be going "all in" on the 2013 season.


I don't particularly agree that the Cowboys are in an ALL-IN mode. If anything, the way I view the draft it was from the long-game perspective.

Although I do agree with the point that it's in Redballs best interest. I don't think he survives another .500 or worse year.


I tend to lean towards the "all in" theory. I doubt Garrett survives, should Dallas not make the playoffs. Lovie sitting around waiting for someone to call will be too appetizing.
_________________

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 25127
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
If we are strictly looking at this from a long term perspective, it would be in the Cowboys best interest to see what Parnell can do as the full time starter. However, that may not be in Jason Garrett's best interest as he is probably gone if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs for a 4th year in a row.

The way I see it is that the Cowboys franchised Spencer a second time, restructured hella contracts which borrowed from from future salary caps to put the best possible team on the field this year. Why stop now? After all the restructuring, the Cowboys have the money to sign Clabo who is better than Parnell. It makes sense to put the best possible team on the field in 2013. It makes no sense to halfass the OL when the team seems to be going "all in" on the 2013 season.


I don't particularly agree that the Cowboys are in an ALL-IN mode. If anything, the way I view the draft it was from the long-game perspective.

Although I do agree with the point that it's in Redballs best interest. I don't think he survives another .500 or worse year.


I tend to lean towards the "all in" theory. I doubt Garrett survives, should Dallas not make the playoffs. Lovie sitting around waiting for someone to call will be too appetizing.


Oh I totally agree with what the result would be. I just don't think Redball is stressing too much. Which is good for us long term, but could be very bad for him short term.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baixis


Joined: 11 Jan 2007
Posts: 1488
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for developing guys for sure, and I HOPE Parnell can become something. 5-6-8 years ago, I would have been all in on giving him a chance. However, I think the rest of our team is pretty solid, for one, and for two, after the last 5-10 years, I am absolutely sick and tired and disgusted with all this 'potential' and 'upside' BS, where it pertains to the OL and Safety positions!!! I want a dang solid starter in there RIGHT NOW!!! Same for Safety!
If we had an OL that could give Romo time, keep him healthy, and open some holes for the running game, we might actually see the best offense we've ever seen in Dallas! If we had a Safety or two who could actually go a quarter or two without giving up deep plays and TDs, we might actually see a top 10 defense in Dallas - one that would be more than good-enough to go along with that offense. AUGH!!!!!! It just absolutely kills me that we have ignored these two positions for so long - or maybe not ignored them, but gone about filling them in a very HORRIBLE way. Our scouts must be the worst in evaluating OL and Safety.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 17328
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clabo gave up 3 sacks in one game to Charles Johnson. If he had a game like that for Dallas, he'd be written off as garbage by everyone here faster than you can say "Matts likes midget porn."

I think he's a solid player, but if he were anything more than that, he'd be signed by now (perhaps by us).

I just think people are so eager to get someone new, their expectations for Clabo are inflated. I'll take my chances with Parnell.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matt79511


Joined: 10 Jul 2011
Posts: 3499
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dwight Freeney destroyed Free in his first year at left tackle, IIRC. He played well otherwise, though, and most were happy to have him back. It's when EVERYONE (including backup level players) started beating Free these last two years that we turned on him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WizardHawk


Joined: 31 Jan 2009
Posts: 10512
Location: Hawkeye State
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Clabo gave up 3 sacks in one game to Charles Johnson. If he had a game like that for Dallas, he'd be written off as garbage by everyone here faster than you can say "Matts likes midget porn."

I think he's a solid player, but if he were anything more than that, he'd be signed by now (perhaps by us).

I just think people are so eager to get someone new, their expectations for Clabo are inflated. I'll take my chances with Parnell.


Gave up 1 the rest of the way though. I'll take that every day. Not like Johnson is chop liver either.
As for him being signed by now, maybe just taking his time. Not beyond a player to do that.

Nothing against Parnell, long run I hope he works out. Hard to find fault in going with Clabo over Parnell or Free, imo.
_________________

Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sodakcowboy78


Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 560
Location: sioux falls so dak
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree that Parnell should be given the chance to win the job...but bringing in a vet FA almost precludes another year developing...which i do not like...id like for Free to take a pay cut and compete for the starting job but i think he is gonna push his luck and hold fast and get cut. Go with Parnell and develop Weims (? spelling)...sounds like he may have a chance to be the swing.

Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Northland


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 4115
Location: Ajax, Ontario
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we get rid of Free. Who is the swing/backup tackle?
_________________
Northland
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dboys88-82


Joined: 11 Jan 2011
Posts: 1761
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northland wrote:
So we get rid of Free. Who is the swing/backup tackle?


At this point it would be the Weems kid. A very similar project type guy like Parnell.
_________________

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group