Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Long Term - RT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Long Term - RT Reply with quote

This entire off-season has seemingly been predicated on the Long Game of Football. What I mean by that is that it hasn't been a desperate-must-win-nowgambit that I, frankly, expect. It has been far-sighted in it's approach to both our bloated contracts and aging players.

So while I know I am the last Free supporter out there, I am curious what everyone here thinks beyond Free. Is it in our best interest to sign someone like Winston or Clabo, or is it a better option to see if Parnell is the heir-apparent now and if not replace him with a rookie next year?

There are drawbacks and advantages to both, so I am curious to see where everyone sides on the issue. Get a 'sure' thing in Clabo, despite his age, or roll with Parnell and see if you just solidified another piece for the future?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it doesn't hurt to get Clabo or Winston in on a 1 year deal, defintly not at that price. If Parnell looses out, the competition that have pushed him hopefully makes him even more prepared for next year. If he wins, great. Then we have a young starter and very good depth.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Williams

Here is an example of a player taken in the 3rd round, from a small school AND had very limited playing time in his rookie season. He later went on to be one of, if not thee best RT in the game of his time.

In addition, note that Nate Newton was asked to play RT during Willimas rookie year. Then was asked to move to the G position because of Williams improved play in his sophmore year.

What does all of this have to do with Parnell? Nothing on the surface. However, if Parnell can come out this year and show a level of improvement in his 5th season like Williams did in his 2nd, then all of this Clabo or Winston talk is a mute point.

I still beleive we have at LEAST 1 or 2 servicable, if not solid O linemen in house somewhere. I like to believe it is Parnell and Leary. But with Arkin, Kowalski, Berandeau, Cook, Costa and Livings, one can only hope.

Sometimes it takes a season or two for a series of position players like an O line to come together and learn one another's tendencies as well as scheme.

As far as Clabo or Winston, if we can get them at a decent price, then why not grab them?
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel it's in the best interest of the team for Jermey Parnell to win the starting job and play well, regardless of who he beats out. He won't command a huge contract next year, he will be a homegrown player that we developed, he is athletic and relatively young. Having him win the starting spot this year and play well would do more to solidify the o-line that if we brought in a stop-gap like Clabo. It would also give us more flexibility in next year's draft. Parnell winning the starting job and playing well is the best possible scenario for the long term success of not just the RT position, but the entire O-line as a whole.

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 13 tackles, 2 TFL, 0 sacks, 1 Pass Break Up
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the fact that Clabo and Winston are still out there does, in fact, say something. I think Free has been bad, but also think RT is the least important spot in our line and that Free has always played better with a more solid interior.

He's not worth his contract, but I'm actually ok with running Free at RT *if* we get better Guard play next to Frederick.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free is the weakest player, at our weakest position on the team.

That makes him our worst starter.

I think the RT position needs to be upgraded significantly. I concede that Free and Parnell played well at the end of the year; but I still think we need fresh blood there.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

I think the RT position needs to be upgraded significantly. I concede that Free and Parnell played well at the end of the year; but I still think we need fresh blood there.

I'm not sure that isn't livings or Bernadeau. Free's definitely next in line after those two, however.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I'm not sure that isn't livings or Bernadeau. Free's definitely next in line after those two, however.

Not sure how you can even say this?? Free makes Livings and Burnadeuce look like All-Pros.

As far as RT goes, I agree with Matts. Though I wouldn't mind seeing Parnell win the job in the long run, getting someone else in there is probably for the best. If nothing else the competition will do him good.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone needs to ask themselves is this:If we have a quality starting RT this season are we a dangerous playoff team? If the answer is yes then we better go and get clabo just to make sure we have that piece to the puzzle.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people hate Free because he's a starter and has a bloated contract. Reduce the contract and make him the swing tackle, and I think he's a nice asset.

There's a reason you have spent time developing Parnell. He looked good in the PT he has gotten. I think you have to give him a legitimate shot to win the job.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I think people hate Free because he's a starter and has a bloated contract. Reduce the contract and make him the swing tackle, and I think he's a nice asset.

There's a reason you have spent time developing Parnell. He looked good in the PT he has gotten. I think you have to give him a legitimate shot to win the job.

So then do you (speaking solely for your second point) bring in the fiercest possible competition for him (Clabo) or give him some competition while using the funds on another position to enhance the team (either a long term contract or another FA)?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I feel it's in the best interest of the team for Jermey Parnell to win the starting job and play well, regardless of who he beats out. He won't command a huge contract next year, he will be a homegrown player that we developed, he is athletic and relatively young. Having him win the starting spot this year and play well would do more to solidify the o-line that if we brought in a stop-gap like Clabo. It would also give us more flexibility in next year's draft. Parnell winning the starting job and playing well is the best possible scenario for the long term success of not just the RT position, but the entire O-line as a whole.

This so much.

The team's RT situation seems a lot like their LT situation a few years ago after they dumped Flozell. Go with Doug Free or bring in someone else? They were chastised by most analysts for choosing the former, but they made the right call, going with the unproven young guy that looked solid in limited action (then made the wrong call overpaying him, but I digress).

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:

So then do you (speaking solely for your second point) bring in the fiercest possible competition for him (Clabo) or give him some competition while using the funds on another position to enhance the team (either a long term contract or another FA)?

I wouldn't bring in Clabo, personally. The money spent on him would essentially hand him a starting spot. Clabo is a solid player, but he isn't a special one. I think Parnell's upside and future aren't worth stifling for that kind of player.

I think if you can get Free to reduce his salary, that's enough at the RT position. When they were battling for snaps at the end of the year, RT held up just fine.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its clear unless Dallas brings in a vet at a super steal price that Parnell is on their radar as the 1st option at RT...now a pay cut with an opportunity to start and earn incentives might help Free refine his game and actually solidify the right side. I believe considering both Clabo and Winston are still looking for jobs tell one its about more than just money, talent has to be a factor here. Parnell and even Leary deserve a chance to win jobs and with the alternatives at both spots on the right side I really dont see how it can get much worse...my real worry is at LG. Is David Arkin really that bad?

Id llike to see a starting line up like this...

LT Smith

LG Arkin or Killer K

C Frederick

RG Leary

RT Parnell

How much worse can Arkin Leary and Parnell be than the mess last year

Peace
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are strictly looking at this from a long term perspective, it would be in the Cowboys best interest to see what Parnell can do as the full time starter. However, that may not be in Jason Garrett's best interest as he is probably gone if the Cowboys fail to make the playoffs for a 4th year in a row.

The way I see it is that the Cowboys franchised Spencer a second time, restructured hella contracts which borrowed from from future salary caps to put the best possible team on the field this year. Why stop now? After all the restructuring, the Cowboys have the money to sign Clabo who is better than Parnell. It makes sense to put the best possible team on the field in 2013. It makes no sense to halfass the OL when the team seems to be going "all in" on the 2013 season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: