Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jason Campbell or Weeden
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dashing

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Jason Campbell or Weeden Reply with quote

Per Roto its a close battle. As a skins fan if you start Jason you wont get turn overs but man your O will be just on check downs and so up and down games with him. hes a good ball management QB tho but nothing else..
hornbybrown

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Jason Campbell or Weeden Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Per Roto its a close battle. As a skins fan if you start Jason you wont get turn overs but man your O will be just on check downs and so up and down games with him. hes a good ball management QB tho but nothing else..

which gives Weeden more of a chance of winning the battle as the new system is a verticle O.

Still glad we got Campbell as he is a solid QB.

Adopt a Brown 2014
Miles Austin 16 Recs 169 Yds 2 TD's
Pierre Desir
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mary Kay Cabot article that rotoworld is referncing:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/cleveland_browns_quarterback_j_9.html

To me, the article has more reasons why Campbell won't be the starter than will. Chief of which is the fact that the team will have to pay him $2.35M to $2.8M more over the next two years based on escalators in his contract.

I just don't see Banner allowing that to happen.

Secondly, but maybe more importantly, is the fact that the front office doesn't want Weeden coming into camp with a sense of entitlement. You, me, and Jason Campbell's mama all know that Weeden is going to start, but the team doesn't want Brandon feeling as though he's already done enough to secure the starting job.

In short, I just don't see MKC's "league sources" as being legitimate. The most recent info they gave her prior to this is that the Browns were definitely going to draft a QB, and probably in the 1st round. So take this little nugget they gave her with a grain of salt.

Maybe two grains.
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that despite all of the bluster from the front office about not being too enamored with Weeden, I believe that they were likely more than excited about plugging him into this offense.

Not to disparage Jason Campbell at all, as he has had a solid career, but I really think while he might get a slight shot at winning the starting job, I think he is here to be the most solid back-up QB we have had since returning to the league.

2014 1st Ballot Recipient of the Joe Blackburn Award...#FREEJOSHGORDON! Adopt a Brownie 2014: Jabaal Sheard 17 tackles, 2 sacks
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, Im a fan of Campbells, I wanted us to bring him in when Washington was getting rid of him. So I would not be upset to see him succeed.

BUT

I'd much rather he just be the catalyst that puts Brandon Weeden over and establishes Weeds as a legit starter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I just think they want to hype or Campbell to make Weeden work harder.

How can anyone win a job when no contact has been made or any kind of preseason game has been played.

its all talk right now

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the first (the only?) pimping for us to bring Campbell on board.

I don't like Weeden at all and wouldn't mind seeing Campbell win the starting role, which I believe he can, as it would mean more wins this year and leave little doubt that we need to channel all efforts to get our future QB next year.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
I'll admit, Im a fan of Campbells, I wanted us to bring him in when Washington was getting rid of him. So I would not be upset to see him succeed.

BUT

I'd much rather he just be the catalyst that puts Brandon Weeden over and establishes Weeds as a legit starter

This

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/05/cleveland_browns_quarterback_j_9.html

To me, the article has more reasons why Campbell won't be the starter than will. Chief of which is the fact that the team will have to pay him $2.35M to $2.8M more over the next two years based on escalators in his contract.

Secondly, but maybe more importantly, is the fact that the front office doesn't want Weeden coming into camp with a sense of entitlement. You, me, and Jason Campbell's mama all know that Weeden is going to start, but the team doesn't want Brandon feeling as though he's already done enough to secure the starting job.

In short, I just don't see MKC's "league sources" as being legitimate. The most recent info they gave her prior to this is that the Browns were definitely going to draft a QB, and probably in the 1st round. So take this little nugget they gave her with a grain of salt.

Maybe two grains.

Sometimes I feel as though the media is intentionally ignoring the positive aspects of a Browns story because they think we want to hear about the negative aspects.

This is one of those times.

First, the media spent months writing about how the front office didn't like Weeden and was ready to throw him out the door. They based this on the fact that the FO did not give 'glowing feel-good' quotes when asked about Weeden--the guy who just finished his rookie year on a team full of rookies-- a team that won only 5 games--with the 25th ranked passing offense--the year the entire organization’s FO was changed from the owner down to positional coaches.

This was the same media that criticized 'handing' Weeden the starting job over McCoy--the guy who was traded, along with a sixth round pick, for a 5th and a 7th.

So...it was a good move to both trade McCoy and get some value from a guy that had none to the current regime--it was good that they were clearly not 'handing' any starting QB jobs out...but somehow the media was convinced that the Browns still wanted to get rid of Weeden, again pointing to the Mike Lombardi quote 'panicked disaster' which was clearly more of a knock on the Browns organization than a direct indictment of Weeden as a QB. This was business as usual for just about every media person that has reported on the Browns for over a decade.

Lombardi did interview Weeden before the draft, by the way:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d8287af50/Brandon-Weeden-chalk-talk

So anyway, the media puts together the quote from Lombardi after the 2012 draft, along with the lack of glowing endorsements about the QB that played on a 5 win team as a rookie in the WCO with over 30 more rookie starts than the next closest team--the team that was sold during training camp...AND they determine the FO wants to rid themselves of Weeden ASAP. (see, the media would have criticized any ‘faith’ place in Weeden too, so the Browns were screwed either way)

Well, fine...then the Browns say that there will be a competition for the starting QB in 2013 and that Weeden will be a 'competitor'...ok, there's more proof that they want to get rid of him, right? OR, it could be that they really don't know how well he will play in the offense that appears to be well suited for him (unlike the WCO, which is hardly suited for any rookie), and they are simply being honest and smart...weird huh?

Then they get Campbell...then they pass on every QB that was available to them in the draft...which happens to be every QB that was IN the 2013 draft.

The also get the 2nd best 3rd down WR in the league over the past few years.

And now the media still isn't sure that the Browns are trying to give Weeden every chance to succeed? There are no articles about that? Really?

I'm very disappointed with the media. After all these years, there are several positive stories to write, but it appears they are waiting for attitudes to change before they write stories about how 'surprising' it is that Browns have 'found a way' to turn the team around...when the Browns have been working on it for years now.

One story I want to read is how instead of back to back to back to back 'crap' FOs...we now appear to have had 'back to back' more than decent ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:

Maybe two grains.

Sometimes I feel as though the media is intentionally ignoring the positive aspects of a Browns story because they think we want to hear about the negative aspects.

This is one of those times.

First, the media spent months writing about how the front office didn't like Weeden and was ready to throw him out the door. They based this on the fact that the FO did not give 'glowing feel-good' quotes when asked about Weeden--the guy who just finished his rookie year on a team full of rookies-- a team that won only 5 games--with the 25th ranked passing offense--the year the entire organization’s FO was changed from the owner down to positional coaches.

This was the same media that criticized 'handing' Weeden the starting job over McCoy--the guy who was traded, along with a sixth round pick, for a 5th and a 7th.

So...it was a good move to both trade McCoy and get some value from a guy that had none to the current regime--it was good that they were clearly not 'handing' any starting QB jobs out...but somehow the media was convinced that the Browns still wanted to get rid of Weeden, again pointing to the Mike Lombardi quote 'panicked disaster' which was clearly more of a knock on the Browns organization than a direct indictment of Weeden as a QB. This was business as usual for just about every media person that has reported on the Browns for over a decade.

Lombardi did interview Weeden before the draft, by the way:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/09000d5d8287af50/Brandon-Weeden-chalk-talk

So anyway, the media puts together the quote from Lombardi after the 2012 draft, along with the lack of glowing endorsements about the QB that played on a 5 win team as a rookie in the WCO with over 30 more rookie starts than the next closest team--the team that was sold during training camp...AND they determine the FO wants to rid themselves of Weeden ASAP. (see, the media would have criticized any ‘faith’ place in Weeden too, so the Browns were screwed either way)

Well, fine...then the Browns say that there will be a competition for the starting QB in 2013 and that Weeden will be a 'competitor'...ok, there's more proof that they want to get rid of him, right? OR, it could be that they really don't know how well he will play in the offense that appears to be well suited for him (unlike the WCO, which is hardly suited for any rookie), and they are simply being honest and smart...weird huh?

Then they get Campbell...then they pass on every QB that was available to them in the draft...which happens to be every QB that was IN the 2013 draft.

And now the media still isn't sure that the Browns are trying to give Weeden every chance to succeed? There are no articles about that? Really?

I'm very disappointed with the media. After all these years, there are several positive stories to write, but it appears they are waiting for attitudes to change before they write stories about how 'surprising' it is that Browns have 'found a way' to turn the team around...when the Browns have been working on it for years now.

One story I want to read is how instead of back to back to back to back 'crap' FOs...we now appear to have had 'back to back' more than decent ones.

This 100%!
Every single point is well made. Excellent, excellent post.

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:

Great points.

This FO, as dumb as the national media seems to like to portray them to be, was at least smart enough to pass on this gawdawful class of QB's and assess what they already have before making a change.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden. Period.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
MalcolmBrown

Location: 2014 Adopt a Brownie: Jim Dray: 7 Receptions, 91 Yards (13.0 ypc), 1 TD
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Weeden. Period.

^^

Reppin in Athens, Ohio AKA South Cleveland
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
Weeden. Period.

Weeden period Period period?

75% of your post was punctuation. That has to be a record.

Congratulations Laughing
duke2056

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love for a guy to stand out and lead us to the playoffs, but if it is remotely close, they have to go with Weeden.

I have seen enough from Campbell to know he isn't taking us anywhere. I have not seen enough from Weeden, or any rookie in my recent memory, to be able to say that about him.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: