Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Seattle's Future Outlook
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Seattle's Future Outlook Reply with quote

The topic of discussion around Seahawks football is exactly how John Schneider and the rest of the Front Office plan to keep this talented roster intact while also making smart salary decisions. It's no easy task and many GMs would fail at this stage of roster management because they would overpay their own players to keep the nucleus they built. It appears obvious, however, that Schneider will be wiser than that make the right decisions on who to let walk and who to retain.

So far the biggest salary mistake John has made in this era is resigning Red Bryant to a 5 year, 35 million dollar contract. Some may debate this, but what Bryant brings as a run defender does not outweigh what he lacks as a pass rusher, and thus was severely overpaid considering what he brings to the team. Will be bound in that contract with him through at least 2013, afterward the contract details get hazy. Ideally, the team will look to restructure Red or cut him prior to the beginning of the 2014 season, where he would receive a 3 million dollar roster bonus for being on the team. The team could also look to trade Red heavily between now and the next draft. His contract bloats in the final 2 seasons, where we surely will not see Red on the team for that figure.

Now let's take a look at our current setup.

2013 Offseason - The Present

The team currently has 50 players under contract and that number is sure to be filled by rookies, UDFAs, and/or other random camp bodies. Not considering the rookie contracts, Seattle has a little under 9 million remaining in cap space, if the figures presented in this link are accurate.

The Future Outlook

This is where it gets fun to try and predict what the Front Office will do going forward. Let's take a look at the guys that will have expiring contracts after the 2013 season:

WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
DB Will Blackmon
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)
RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre
S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

WR Charly Martin (RFA)
TE Anthony McCoy
DT Tony McDaniel

DT Clinton McDonald (RFA)
OL Paul McQuistin
LB Michael Morgan
QB Brady Quinn
FB Michael Robinson

WR Golden Tate???
CB Walter Thurmond III
CB Antoine Winfield

The first big thing you may notice here is that none of our marquee players are coming off the books. That is very good news and shows that Pete and John have done a fantastic job locking up their talent up for the long term thus far. This ensures us that we'll essentially have the nucleus of the team for the next two seasons, making us Superbowl contenders during that short window. With all of these players coming off the books, an approximate total of 26.5 million comes off the books. That leaves Seattle with a bit of money to spend once again.

I expect all of the RFAs to receive a tender of some sort. McDonald would command a 7th round draft choice if we put a measly Original Round tender on him which is the minimum tender. Baldwin should get a 2nd round tender, likely guaranteeing he has a spot on the team through 2014. Charly Martin is essentially just a camp body at this point and likely won't even make it to the point of being considered for a RFA tender.

Brandon Browner is the most interesting case among the RFAs. If I had to take a guess, this is what happens. The team places a 2nd round tender on Browner after (hopefully) another strong season from him. That signing would only eat 2 million out of our cap. This keeps Browner on the team for an extra season at a very cheap deal where we can essentially use him as camp competition. He could easily be let go after training camp battles even after signing his RFA tender. The other thing this does is baits teams that might be desperate for corner to consider signing Browner and giving us their 2nd. That would be the ideal situation, as obviously we'd rather have a 2nd than Browner at this point. He will be 29 by season's end and 30 by the beginning of next season, so it might be unlikely we see a 2nd rounder for him unless he has a huge contract year. Either way, I don't see him being on this team past this 2013 season.

There are some very good players on that expiring contract list that the team will have to make tough decisions on. Players like Michael Bennett, Golden Tate, and Michael Robinson are going to be tough decisions for the FO to make, but I have a feeling they will be strict on what they offer each player. Robinson looks like a player who is bound to hit the free agent market after this season, with the team already drafting his replacement beyond then. Depending on how Bennett's rotator cuff looks throughout the season and how he plays, he is certainly the top player on this entire list that I think is up for a long term extension that is hopefully team friendly. He has voiced how much he loves it here and he took less money this offseason to be here.

Golden Tate may be the most interesting situation of all to watch. It looks as if the writing is on the wall that the team is prepared to walk away from Golden Tate with Rice/Harvin/Harper/Baldwin still on the roster. If that's the case, I do see them letting him go. He may have a very big season, and he may be the prime candidate for a player that John would like to keep around, but cannot afford it. Only way I see Tate staying on this team is if the team decides to cut Sidney Rice and keep Tate or heavily reduce Rice's salary. But we cannot continue to have WR as one of our highest paid positions.

It's likely that Antoine Winfield retires. It may be a positional hole for us after 2013, but it's someone we won't have to worry about pleasing financially beyond this season.

I don't see any way Walter Thurmond makes it beyond 2013. The writing is on the wall for him with how many CBs we've brought in, and I think he's the odd man out at this point. His talent is undeniable and there's a chance we could trade him for very low compensation before the season starts, but I see him just being outright cut due to the fact that he's not reliably healthy and this position is just too deep to keep him on.

I think Anthony McCoy's time on this team is also drawing to an end. He may get a shortened small term deal to see if he can prove anything else, but he is what he is. We've obviously been trying to upgrade the #2 TE position for some time now, and if Willson doesn't show to be that type of player I'm sure we'll find a new #2 next year in the draft.

Others aren't too important, but I see McQuisitin, Jeron, Lemuel, McDaniel, Blackmon, Quinn, and Maragos to not make it past 2013. I don't really see Quinn or Maragos making the team this season and I don't see any room for Blackmon

Breno Giacomini could be another interesting piece. I doubt the team considers him as their long term starter, so if he's willing to take backup money to stay on the team I see us retaining him as a quality backup RT. If his price tag exceeds what John feels he can get from a backup RT elsewhere, he'll let Breno walk.

With so many players walking, it means paying your own guys and paying other guys to replace what you've lost.

In the next post I'll talk about the 2015 offseason lookout. It might get really crazy from there.
thedudehi

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice writeup!

If I were able to bet on it, I would say Golden Tate signs a deal to stay on for a few more years next offseason. I think it's entirely plausible Rice restructures and we are able to use some of that money for Tate. I really don't feel like Tate will command a huge salary because of his lack of opportunities to put up big numbers in this offense. He has developed into a very good young WR though.

Walter Thurmond has been very unlucky with injuries in his short career but like you said, his talent is undeniable. I think if he has an injury free pre-season, he will make the final 53. If he can have an injury free regular season, I could easily see him re-signed to be nickel back and heir to Antoine Winfield. Jeremy Lane strikes me as more of an outside corner.

If Michael Bennett has a year here like he did in TB, I could definitely see Red Bryant being cut/restructured and using that money to sign Bennett to an extension. Very excited to see how he does this year, and I'm also kind of hoping he can take over Red's spot on 1st and 2nd down to actually give us a semblance of a pass rush from that side.
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Those are the players i think are likely to return after their contract expires. Bold is guaranteed in my mind

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This FO has been great by cushioning the blow of a cap hit by having them land in different seasons from each other. We have given ourselves breathing room every year. Starting next season we will be a team stuck around the 1-3 million mark in cap space for years, but we should be fine if we continue this trend.

Another thing to note it Earl Thomas and OKung had their contracts in th final year before the rookie cap. Both players have pretty big contracts already, and shouldnt have too much more of a cap hit when resigned. This is unfortunately the opposite for players like sherman, wright and wilson. We don't have to worry about russell next year., however.

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Those are the players i think are likely to return after their contract expires. Bold is guaranteed in my mind
Browner is a guarantee? I'd say 65-35 he leaves. Maragos is gone once we draft a more capable backup FS.

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Browner is a guarantee? I'd say 65-35 he leaves. Maragos is gone once we draft a more capable backup FS.

He is in my mind. Will he come back on a big contract? I doubt it, but i think he will be back to at least compete. This is still a guy who posted 6 picks in a season and creates a game winning turnover every year(giants, panthers, etc). He'll be back IMO, on a 1-2 year deal, then he's gone

wwhickok wrote:

Tooki

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Browner is willing to sign on a cheap deal (maybe 4 mil a year tops), he will be back. Otherwise, he is gone.
imani

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
If Browner is willing to sign on a cheap deal (maybe 4 mil a year tops), he will be back. Otherwise, he is gone.

about the same for me, but i think even 4 a year would be pushing it. I'd say a 2 year, 7 mil deal max for me

wwhickok wrote:

Brown_Mamba

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

He is in my mind. Will he come back on a big contract? I doubt it, but i think he will be back to at least compete. This is still a guy who posted 6 picks in a season and creates a game winning turnover every year(giants, panthers, etc). He'll be back IMO, on a 1-2 year deal, then he's gone

Wouldn't doubt Browner staying for a cheaper deal at all. He loves playing in Seattle and the comradery this team has. If you follow him on instagram, he's always posting pictures of him partying with Sherm, Thomas and Kam.

Then again, most of the decision will fall on how he performs this year.

Dirk No-Miss-zki fan
SoS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are ignoring that Browner is a RFA. We control his rights through next season unless a team wants to give us compensation to have him.
clubmember

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Browner has stated before that since the Seahawks were the team that gave him a chance he wants to stay with them his whole career. He'll give us a discount for sure.
SoS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Browner has stated before that since the Seahawks were the team that gave him a chance he wants to stay with them his whole career. He'll give us a discount for sure.

Winfield pretty much said the same thing as you're saying Browner has. It may not be up to Browner. If the team feels Simon or Lane are ready to start in right away, there may not be a mutual interest in resigning him.
imani

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

Winfield pretty much said the same thing as you're saying Browner has. It may not be up to Browner. If the team feels Simon or Lane are ready to start in right away, there may not be a mutual interest in resigning him.

except there's far less of a chance for a ring in minny....and browner isn't approaching 40. Completely different IMO

wwhickok wrote:

SoS

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:
pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

except there's far less of a chance for a ring in minny....and browner isn't approaching 40. Completely different IMO

Well no comparison is good enough around the Seattle forum because everyone nitpicks at something Laughing

The point I'm trying to make is as simple as this, just because a player says he wants to do something, doesn't mean it's going to come to fruition.
Tooki

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
SoS wrote:
pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:
imani wrote:
WR Doug Baldwin (RFA)
DL Michael Bennett
CB Brandon Browner (RFA)

RT Breno Giacomini????
LS Clint Gresham
OL Lemuel Jeanpierre

S Jeron Johnson
FS Chris Maragos

FB Michael Robinson
WR Golden Tate
CB Antoine Winfield

I agree. Browner has a few years left in him, Antoine has 2 at the very most.

I know that Browner is a RFA SoS. I'm talking beyond the 1 year tender deal. The team will undoubtedly be hoping that somebody gives up a draft pick for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: