Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens add Steve Spagnuolo as Senior Def. Assistant

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Ravens add Steve Spagnuolo as Senior Def. Assistant Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Hire-Coach-Steve-Spagnuolo/836e9567-c330-4c03-be70-7229d5f8f738

Quote:
The Ravens hired coach Steve Spagnuolo to their staff as a full-time senior defensive consultant, Head Coach John Harbaugh announced Friday afternoon.

“Steve had a number of opportunities in the league right now and we’re excited he picked the Ravens,” Harbaugh said. “He comes to a staff we believe is very strong and he makes us even better.”

Spagnuolo became one of the hottest coaches in the league after the 2007 season when he led the New York Giants’ Super-Bowl winning defense.

Spagnuolo is a big proponent of getting pressure on the quarterback. His 4-3 defense in New York took down Tom Brady and the undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, sacking him five times.

Two years later, he was named the St. Louis Rams’ head coach, and held that position for three years (2009-2011). He compiled a 10-38 record during that time. Spagnuolo, 53, is the second former head coach currently on Harbaugh’s staff, joining Offensive Coordinator Jim Caldwell.

I love this move! Our coaching staff is starting to get extremely stacked, especially on the defensive side of the ball now with Spags, who knows how to utilize and get the best out of the pass rushers we have. Castillo will do great with the offensive line as well. What do you guys think?

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as we don't end up with a situation where Peas and Spagnuolo are undermining one another, or otherwise sending out confusing messages to the players, this should be a good move.

I think a combination of Peas' 'bend don't break' style and Spags' aggression upfront could work very well with this defense. Especially if they can scheme ways to get real pressure with three and four man rushes (Dumervil and Canty should definitely help with that).

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
As long as we don't end up with a situation where Peas and Spagnuolo are undermining one another, or otherwise sending out confusing messages to the players, this should be a good move.

I think a combination of Peas' 'bend don't break' style and Spags' aggression upfront could work very well with this defense. Especially if they can scheme ways to get real pressure with three and four man rushes (Dumervil and Canty should definitely help with that).

Well (and I'm no expert on this), I believe the Giants, in their first Superbowl run basically used alot of just 4 man pressure. My thinking is that Peas will draw up the coverages and Spags will design the 4 man pressures, which will be a great thing for us.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt Spags has any influence on playcalling. I'd imagine he's being brought in to help coach and develop the pass rushers as well as provide general insight and advice in the meeting and film rooms and help in game-planning. Vic Fangio had a similar role for us between 2006 and 2010. No one is going to trust Spags with a defense after his disastrous stints with St. Louis and New Orleans, so this is a way for him to lay low, rehabilitate his image, and work within a winning organization as he bides his time looking for another DC opportunity down the road. Harbaugh knows Spags from their time in Philly together (same with Juan Castillo), so it makes sense on both sides. Harbaugh does a good job of utilizing his vast network to hire some really good coaches.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
coordinator0

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to like this move but I have no idea what a senior defensive consultant does. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't come up with a new job title like they did for Castillo with "run game coordinator." This kind of feels similar to when the Ravens hired Pees after his lackluster last few years with New England.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Doubt Spags has any influence on playcalling. I'd imagine he's being brought in to help coach and develop the pass rushers as well as provide general insight and advice in the meeting and film rooms and help in game-planning. Vic Fangio had a similar role for us between 2006 and 2010. No one is going to trust Spags with a defense after his disastrous stints with St. Louis and New Orleans, so this is a way for him to lay low, rehabilitate his image, and work within a winning organization as he bides his time looking for another DC opportunity down the road. Harbaugh knows Spags from their time in Philly together (same with Juan Castillo), so it makes sense on both sides. Harbaugh does a good job of utilizing his vast network to hire some really good coaches.

I'm not saying he's going to be calling plays, but he knows how to manipulate the defensive line and create good personnel packages to create havoc, and I think that's mainly what he'll be doing for us, and I like that. I mean with Upshaw/Suggs/Doom/Simon as well McPhee/Ngata/Canty we have an abundance of pass rush ability!

BlaqOptic wrote:
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nfl teams are all crazy profitable regardless, but can we appreciate the fact that we have an owner who's willing to pay all these high profile coaches to provide the slightest boost to our team, along with spending to the cap every year, and building a top flight training center for what should be a small market team.

Jerry Jones can keep his 1.2 billion dollar stadium (that has created the softest home court advantage in the league). I'd rather watch my team consistently win at the vault.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I'm not saying he's going to be calling plays, but he knows how to manipulate the defensive line and create good personnel packages to create havoc, and I think that's mainly what he'll be doing for us, and I like that. I mean with Upshaw/Suggs/Doom/Simon as well McPhee/Ngata/Canty we have an abundance of pass rush ability!

The thing with Spags is that I wonder how much it was the personnel making him look good, rather than him having great schemes. Ever since he left the Giants' awesome DL, he's had some abominations of defenses. I think he's still living off of the hype he got when he had the Giants' DL talent.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

The thing with Spags is that I wonder how much it was the personnel making him look good, rather than him having great schemes. Ever since he left the Giants' awesome DL, he's had some abominations of defenses. I think he's still living off of the hype he got when he had the Giants' DL talent.

The Giants had something the Rams and Saints did not - pass rush, which is what you need in the NFL. The Saints were just an atrocious D to begin with and the losses of Smith and Vilma didn't help, and in STL that defense was still bad when he came in and they're just now getting somewhat average.

I still think this addition will help us become a little more creative up front on defense in terms of how we rush the passer instead of the generic "everyone run at a straight line at the QB" thing that I've seen all last year.

BlaqOptic wrote:
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

The Giants had something the Rams and Saints did not - pass rush, which is what you need in the NFL. The Saints were just an atrocious D to begin with and the losses of Smith and Vilma didn't help, and in STL that defense was still bad when he came in and they're just now getting somewhat average.

I still think this addition will help us become a little more creative up front on defense in terms of how we rush the passer instead of the generic "everyone run at a straight line at the QB" thing that I've seen all last year.

That's kind of my point -- I personally think Spags benefited from the immense talent the Giants' DL had in terms of pass rush, rather than it being a matter of his scheming. Which is supported by the terrible defenses he oversaw in St Louis and New Orleans -- unless he has the talent to essentially do the work for him, he's pretty bad.

That's why I'm not too excited by the move -- is it a good one? Sure it is, bringing in a guy who Harbaugh know who has a lot of experience. But, I wouldn't call it anywhere near a "fantastic" hire -- I just think he's going off name recognition at this point, and his name got that recognition thanks to a very talented defense that he happened to call plays for.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't read too much into his lack of success with the Saints last year... that really wasn't a very good enviromnent to succeed in from the jump. They had defensive players sitting out left and right through pseudo-suspensions, injuries, etc... all while their real head coach, a guy known to be one of the best football minds in the league in Payton... had to go through a suspension. Personally I can't fault any new coach coming into that situation and not having ideal results.

In terms of in St. Louis.. he was working as the head coach also. It's very hard for a guy to bake the cookies and eat them at the same time. So while obviously he wasn't stringing along All Star defenses, I don't think that should also be held too far against him... as a defensive mind.

I think a situation like Baltimore is exactly what he needs/needed. A nice stable environment where he can work into the coaching staff, then whenever one of our defensive coaches gets snagged for a head coaching gig, he can step right in and fill the position.

In fact, this signing is pretty awesome because beforehand, I was worried about the situation of our pass rushing talent and how they would develop without Ted Monachino coaching them up. Well now we add another defensive mind that has proven he can get the most out of pass rushing ability. So whenever we lose Monachino, which I'm assuming will be very soon unless Pees doesn't work out and we promote him, then we've got a guy who can really focus on our edge threats in Spags, while Martindale likely gets the LBer coach promotion. This move is a move that continues the coaching stability that we've had under Harbaugh... and under Billick also... on the defensive side of the ball.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume his role will be blitz designer for lack of a formal term. With the giants, and rams, he was very creative regarding his 4 and 5 man pressure schemes. I wouldn't be suprised if we have our own NASCAR package where Simon and Upshaw line up as DT's and Suggs and Dumervil play ends. Obviously this would only be a third and long / end of game scheme.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: