Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#42 and #51
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: #42 and #51 Reply with quote

I saw an interesting topic on the Saints forums, and it was talking about retiring Sharper and Vilma's jerseys and adding them to the ring of honor, for the impact they had on our team, and our SB season. Do you guys think they should be retired/added to the RoH?

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: #42 and #51 Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
I saw an interesting topic on the Saints forums, and it was talking about retiring Sharper and Vilma's jerseys and adding them to the ring of honor, for the impact they had on our team, and our SB season. Do you guys think they should be retired/added to the RoH?

This will likely be a touchy topic but my opinion is no... the current retired numbers on the Saints are 31 (Jim Taylor) & 81 (doug Atkins) both of whom I don't feel deserved to be retired but was simply because the teams at the time with no history were looking to create some for their fan base.

Players like Willie Roaf (77), Rickey Jackson (57) & Archie Manning (Cool "not sure if Mannings number was retired or not". don't have their number retired but should, Also Duece McAllister (26).

If Sharper or Vilma get their numbers retired before any of those cats then something is seriously wrong in the Big Easy!!!

Others that are in line ahead of them in my opinion are... Eric Martin (84), Morton Anderson (7), Sam Mills (51) & maybe even Joe Horn (87).

Sorry... I vote no, way to many in line ahead of them.

As far as current players... Drew Brees (9) of course but Marcus Colston (12) will go down as the greastest WR in Saints history and Jimmy Graham (80) if he stays healthy will be a hall of famer!

Depending on the remainder of Jahari Evans career and how it plays out, (73) could be a retired option as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roaf, Brees, Rickey Jackson should all be retired. Deuce should definitely get some consideration.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLOODx wrote:
Roaf, Brees, Rickey Jackson should all be retired. Deuce should definitely get some consideration.

Exactly... Asking if Vilma and Sharper should be retired is silly to me. Yes I understand that they had a major role in our 1st and only Championship but let me ask... are these same people asking for Shockey's number to be retired???

Silly I know but the bottom line is that he was also a major part of our title run but I don't see nobody clamoring for him. Are we gonna retire Tracy Porter's and Garrett Hartley's numbers as well? Both of those guys closed out the NFC title game and Superbowl for us.

Look, I like Sharper and Vilma as much as the next guy but retiring a number from a franchise should mean a lot more... Just my opinion!

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Exactly... Asking if Vilma and Sharper should be retired is silly to me. Yes I understand that they had a major role in our 1st and only Championship but let me ask... are these same people asking for Shockey's number to be retired???

Silly I know but the bottom line is that he was also a major part of our title run but I don't see nobody clamoring for him. Are we gonna retire Tracy Porter's and Garrett Hartley's numbers as well? Both of those guys closed out the NFC title game and Superbowl for us.

Look, I like Sharper and Vilma as much as the next guy but retiring a number from a franchise should mean a lot more... Just my opinion!

I actually agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, Hartley completely blow afterwards, Porter was injury riddled and wasn't resigned, and Jeremy Shockey is a snitch to the team. Vilma and Sharper, especially Vilma, were still good afterwards. They will likely both retire Saints since 42 already did. I can understand no to 42, but Vilma.. I think he deserves it. As well as Roaf, Brees, McAllister, Pat Swilling, and Rickey Jackson all need their #'s retired. Maybe we could do them all in one ceremony. Laughing

And to answer your question, Archie's jersey IS retired.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Sharper was here for 1 year, and "here" for a second year after that. That's not deserving of having your number retired.

Vilma's been here longer, but he's been nothing more than above average at his peak. Awesome leader, but he's not the kind of impact defender that needs to be remembered by having his jersey hanging on the wall.

What about Bush? Shockey? Carl Nicks? Jonathan Goodwin? Rolling Eyes Laughing Rolling Eyes Laughing

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 34 receptions, 278 yards, 1 first downs, 1 TD - 5 rushes, 64 yards, 3 first downs
Corey White - 29 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 fumble recovery
SWATcha

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Their accomplishments as Saints are nowhere near impressive enough to even warrant being in the discussion.

As others have mentioned; Roaf, Jackson, Swilling, Mills, and maybe Deuce.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roaf, Swilling, McAllister, Joe Horn, and Brees when he retires.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
potus

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

I actually agree with you, but to play devil's advocate, Hartley completely blow afterwards, Porter was injury riddled and wasn't resigned, and Jeremy Shockey is a snitch to the team. Vilma and Sharper, especially Vilma, were still good afterwards. They will likely both retire Saints since 42 already did. I can understand no to 42, but Vilma.. I think he deserves it. As well as Roaf, Brees, McAllister, Pat Swilling, and Rickey Jackson all need their #'s retired. Maybe we could do them all in one ceremony. Laughing

Shockey was not a snitch..that was Baby Sapp running his mouth like an idiot.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Jeremy Shockey is a snitch to the team.

Payton disagrees with you.

2014 Adopt a Saint
Brandin Cooks - 34 receptions, 278 yards, 1 first downs, 1 TD - 5 rushes, 64 yards, 3 first downs
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
FLOODx wrote:

Retiring #51 to the Saints in favor of Vilma over Sam Mills would be a complete insult! Sure, Vilma had a few good seasons and won a superbowl as the defensive leader on a offensive driven team but Sam Mills was by far a more historic player in this city! THis was one of the best leaders this game has EVER seen, the heart and soul of the Dome Patrol and one of the most high character men you would ever see. Yes, he retired a panther but he will always be a Saint...

51 will ALWAYS belong to Sam Mills in New Orleans, so how can you retire it for Vilma?

Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a such thing as dual retirement? Like we can retire 51 forever as the # both Vilma and Mills wore?

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan
QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Brees, Roaf, and McAllister all deserve their #s retired though.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Is there a such thing as dual retirement? Like we can retire 51 forever as the # both Vilma and Mills wore?

Why does Vilma deserve to be in the same sentence as Mills?

2014 Adopt a Saint
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Why does Vilma deserve to be in the same sentence as Mills?

And in this ceremony we honor the great Sam Mills. And another, Jonathan Vilma.

There, different sentences. Wink

EDIT: Okay, in all seriousness, I wasn't even alive during the dome patrol so I don't even know much about them so that may skew my view.

Saints
LSU
Pelicans

Adopt a Saint 2014:
Cam Jordan:
Joseph Morgan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: