Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo, Defense and Draft Value (Articles)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Fish reads here, too (he specifically gives a shout out to OCC at Blogging the Boys in the article).

I think there's merit to the idea, especially regarding Austin and Murray, who both have trouble staying healthy.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
Maybe Fish reads here, too (he specifically gives a shout out to OCC at Blogging the Boys in the article).

I think there's merit to the idea, especially regarding Austin and Murray, who both have trouble staying healthy.

My guess is Austin and Carr. Carr will count nearly 10% of the salary cap in 2 years.

Murray, IMO, doesn't need to be replaced... rather, we just need a player for when Murray suffers his annual injury who can take over. Murray doesn't count that much against the cap... so I don't necessarily see the need to replace Murray.

Witten is a little more difficult. They guys will one day own nearly every receiving record in Cowboys history. And, Witten is a legit HOF candidate. I don't know if Jerry would cut ties with Witten while Witten has a chance to break NFL records while still in a Cowboys uniform. Financially, it may make sense to do so, but there's also a certain amount of nostalgia involved with Witten that are not involved with Austin or Carr.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think youre mistaken on Carr and agree its Scandrick but no way to be 100% sure

Sig courtesy of mack.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I think youre mistaken on Carr and agree its Scandrick but no way to be 100% sure

It's impossible to know right now. I think the biggest factor is whether Carr lives up to his contract. If you are going to pay 1 player 10% of the salary cap... he's got to produce at that level.

Scandrick is JAG. I don't know if the Cowboys would lose much sleep worrying paying him vs cutting him for strictly financial reasons.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching Webb, he plays very big for his size, very willing tackler, so I don't see him necessarily being limited to the slot. But Carr is still young and quite good, so it might be a stretch to say Webb takes that spot...
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

It's impossible to know right now. I think the biggest factor is whether Carr lives up to his contract. If you are going to pay 1 player 10% of the salary cap... he's got to produce at that level.

Scandrick is JAG. I don't know if the Cowboys would lose much sleep worrying paying him vs cutting him for strictly financial reasons.

Carr, more than likely, will be a top level cornerback and just 28 years old, then. I think it's more likely they restructure his contract to reduce the cap hit than part ways with him.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Crawford is a very similar athlete to Henry Melton, IMO. Especially coming out of college. There are reports that Crawford is almost up to 300lbs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they saw his future as the next Henry Melton.

If that's true. Wilber better pan out, or next year we will be either overpaying Spencer or drafting 3 DE's.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:

Murray, IMO, doesn't need to be replaced... rather, we just need a player for when Murray suffers his annual injury who can take over. Murray doesn't count that much against the cap... so I don't necessarily see the need to replace Murray.

Forgot to mention, not so much to replace Murray, but if he never shows the ability to stay healthy, it's easier to let him go with Randle in the stable.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just CHILL: Draft strategy/trade remains puzzling even to Cowboys' scouts

Quote:
The decision to bypass Florida defensive tackle Shariff Floyd, who was ranked as a top-10 pick on the Cowboys draft board was first.

“We are not disappointed in what we drafted at 31, more disappointed in who we passed up at 18," the source said.

Quote:
"Jerry wanted to address the offensive line or safety in the first round; no other options were viable," the source said. "When it was said that [Floyd] was not a fit, that's all he needed to hear."

Curious to know what Kiffin/Marinelli didn't like about Floyd.

Quote:
"You've got to get more than that third-round pick," the source said. "It makes no sense. It is still a sore subject. The scenario had been talked about. A second and third had been talked about. When we did it, Stephen and Jerry weren't in there. It's a learning experience. The decision-makers make the decisions, and we live with it."

I agree with getting more than SF's 1st and 3rd rder, my impression from the source is someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
textaz03

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

doubt it. Fish and the boys at BTB converse regulary on Twitter. That's most likely why he was mentioned.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit to add: not ticked at you, WH, but at the continued irresponsibility and failure to do basic fact checking of today's "journalists"
WizardHawk wrote:

Quote:
"You've got to get more than that third-round pick," the source said. "It makes no sense. It is still a sore subject. The scenario had been talked about. A second and third had been talked about. When we did it, Stephen and Jerry weren't in there. It's a learning experience. The decision-makers make the decisions, and we live with it."

I agree with getting more than SF's 1st and 3rd rder, my impression from the source is someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line.

This is a load of crap. A Second and a Third is an absolute pipe dream. San Francisco would've been idiotic to make that trade. Even by the old chart, which favors the higher rounds more than the new chart(which is a dumb way to go in this draft where the value is in the 2nd and 3rd round) 61 and 74 is almost 200 points in our favor... And we're complaining about 80 here.

Again. NO. EFFING. WAY. And quite honestly, the fact that they implied it makes me want to chuck the whole article as entirely fabricated.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Rogers ‏@BenRogers 14m

Quote:
Dez having type of offseason Cowboys dreamed about. Those close to him say he's never been more ready for absolute beast mode. 2,000 yards?

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Ben Rogers ‏@BenRogers 14m

Quote:
Dez having type of offseason Cowboys dreamed about. Those close to him say he's never been more ready for absolute beast mode. 2,000 yards?

Just hope he stays healthy.

^^^mack
TVScout

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW another new value chart:

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/
Captain Zapp

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVScout wrote:
FWIW another new value chart:

http://harvardsportsanalysis.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/how-to-value-nfl-draft-picks/

This chart holds no credibility at all in determining trade value. Theoretically, according to this chart a team drafting #14 overall could trade up to #7 overall with just its fifth round pick, #142 overall, and that would be adequate compensation. Do you think any GM in their right mind would even consider that trade?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: