Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Romo, Defense and Draft Value (Articles)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Romo, Defense and Draft Value (Articles) Reply with quote

Quote:
Romo's success or failure in his expanded role could affect the Hall of Fame chances of DeMarcus Ware. It could determine the career path of Dez Bryant. It will decide the way history views an entire era of Cowboys history -- either paving over the painful memories of flops against the Seahawks and Giants and Vikings and Redskins or allowing them to define a decade's worth of teammates, coaches and anyone else connected with Valley Ranch.

We knew when they signed him to the extension that the Cowboys believed in Romo as their franchise quarterback. He's shown potential for greatness, and their investment in him is their way of saying they believe his ability can and will override his history of falling short in the biggest games. What we didn't know until this past weekend was the unprecedented extent to which the Cowboys were tying their success to Romo as a leader and a football mind.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/51079/cowboys-betting-everything-on-tony-romo

Quote:
With this I agree. I think the Cowboys' front-seven personnel is well suited for this transition. I think it'll maximize the playmaking abilities of players like Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher. I think DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer will do fine as 4-3 defensive ends. The questions are about depth, especially on the line with Ratliff's health a perpetual question now, and even Ware's becoming an issue in recent years. But the Cowboys think some of their younger players, like Tyrone Crawford and Kyle Wilber, are well suited to 4-3 lineman roles and can serve as quality backups. Ideally, they won't have to find out.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/51128/jerry-jones-talks-cowboys-defense

Quote:
Sherrington: “D. The reason I give them a D grade is not because these guys can’t play. I think there is a very good chance that Jerry (Jones) comes away with three starters and a couple of good back up and if he does that, it will be one of his best drafts in the last 20 years. The reason I give them a D is because you probably could have gotten these guys and some other guys had you just practiced the draft the way you should have. In other words, did you really want to trade down 13 spots in the first round to get a center you could have gotten in the second round? You got a tight end in the second round, but you could have gotten the best tight end in the draft, Tyler Eifert, had you stayed where you were in the first round. I think there are ways you could manipulate this draft where you not only got the same players but maybe even better players.”

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/05/02/4822114/cowboys-believe-their-draft-was.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
“All in all, it was probably the most successful draft we’ve had in a while,” a source said. “We got a guy in the fifth round [running back Joseph Randle] we had on the board in the third. We got good value on guys instead or reaching as we did in the past. Last year, we needed a safety and might have pumped a little air in [fourth-round pick Matt Johnson]. We took him earlier than we needed to. That didn’t happen this year, other than maybe the first round. We got good value.”

While he might have been a reach at the 31st pick overall, the Cowboys truly believe they took a good player in Frederick, who is an immediate upgrade at center and is expected to help the team immensely in 2013.

The Cowboys did their best work, however, on the second and third day of the draft, starting with tight end Gavin Escobar in the second round. No one questions his talent or potential. He was considered the second- or third-best tight end in the draft, and the Cowboys got him right where he was projected to go.

The best selection, however, might have been Baylor receiver Terrance Williams with the controversial pick they got from the San Francisco 49ers in the third round.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/05/02/4822114/cowboys-believe-their-draft-was.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if Cleveland and us were in denial, but they've been running a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel, and we ran a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel. Bout time we both smartened up. I just hope that Wilber and Crawford get significant time at DE and Johnson at S to see what we have.

As far as the guy's comments about being able to Frederick in the 2nd round, that's his opinion. The Giants took Pugh in the 20's, who was projected a 2nd round pick. Who knows someone else didn't want Frederick in the early 2nd? You like the player take him.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least Graziano understands what's really going on. 2/3 of the DALLAS sports media still thinks Jerry was calling Romo out for not spending enough time in the film room, rather than promoting Romo to de facto Assistant OC
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
At least Graziano understands what's really going on. 2/3 of the DALLAS sports media still thinks Jerry was calling Romo out for not spending enough time in the film room, rather than promoting Romo to de facto Assistant OC

Graziano seems like one of the most level headed writers out there. I think its because he came from Baseball and does not have the preconceived notions of the NFC E teams.

I enjoy reading his articles, even if I disagree with some.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
I don't know if Cleveland and us were in denial, but they've been running a 4-3 with 3-4 personnel, and we ran a 3-4 with 4-3 personnel. Bout time we both smartened up. I just hope that Wilber and Crawford get significant time at DE and Johnson at S to see what we have.

As far as the guy's comments about being able to Frederick in the 2nd round, that's his opinion. The Giants took Pugh in the 20's, who was projected a 2nd round pick. Who knows someone else didn't want Frederick in the early 2nd? You like the player take him.

Crawford is a DT

Sig courtesy of mack.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

Crawford is a DT

Crawford is a prototypical LDE.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team has said they plan to use him at both.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

Perhaps on passing downs they could move him inside like the giants do with JPP. But, as an every down player, he is a LDE.
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Perhaps on passing downs they could move him inside like the giants do with JPP. But, as an every down player, he is a LDE.

Personally, I think he seems to be a guy who would be a better DT then DE in the 4-3. Especially if it's true that he now weights about 300 pounds.
- I could see him play some DE on run downs and when we are in the typical Seahawks formation. Besides that, I think he is going to be a big part of the DT rotation and the guy they want to have taking over from Hatcher if they don't re-sign him next season or Ratliff when his time is up.

I think it all depends on how our scheme looks (which we really still are only guessing about) by the beginning of the season where he will get most playing time, at DT or DE.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the idea of a heavy package that has him at LDE and spencer at Sam, or even going, say Hatcher at LDE, Ratliff and lissemore in the middle, and Crawford at RDE, with Spencer and Ware at Sam and Will. That would allow for some very creative blitz packages, with Ware and Spencer having the athleticism to play zones as well...
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:

Crawford is a DT

Crawford is a prototypical LDE.

According to Monte hes a DT now and Wilber will be a DE. It was posted on dc.com

Sig courtesy of mack.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crawford is a very similar athlete to Henry Melton, IMO. Especially coming out of college. There are reports that Crawford is almost up to 300lbs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they saw his future as the next Henry Melton.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Crawford is a very similar athlete to Henry Melton, IMO. Especially coming out of college. There are reports that Crawford is almost up to 300lbs. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they saw his future as the next Henry Melton.

I believe hes slated at 3T

Sig courtesy of mack.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witten Wisdom: The Cap-Related Secret Behind Cowboys’ ‘Replacement’ Draft Picks

Quote:
*This is the part of the Cowboys’ draft that Jerry and Stephen Jones indisputably got right, the part that is beyond the scope of the personnel department. The scouts rate players; the Joneses are charged with listening to those rankings while also trying to “Asset-Manage’’ the entire organization.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Witten Wisdom: The Cap-Related Secret Behind Cowboys’ ‘Replacement’ Draft Picks

Quote:
*This is the part of the Cowboys’ draft that Jerry and Stephen Jones indisputably got right, the part that is beyond the scope of the personnel department. The scouts rate players; the Joneses are charged with listening to those rankings while also trying to “Asset-Manage’’ the entire organization.

You know what funny about this... On Monday, I said the exact same thing and actually gave the break down of how much the team would save if this draft class is able to replace the high price players...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=522245&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: