Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Explaining Player and Playmaker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neauone

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Explaining Player and Playmaker Reply with quote

I read some of the threads here about our 2 top draft choices and for that matter our QB of the future in Geno Smith.
There is a difference between a player and a playmaker, as much as I like Mike Devito, he was nothing more than an experienced player who was good at stopping the run and nothing more. To attribute more to him is stretching his value more than we need to. Revis was a playmaker and a difference maker.
These players garner more attention because they can change the outcome of a game.
Enter Dee Milliner, he will and can change the pulse of a game, he can be a game changer. He is not just another CB to fill a need. The kid is good.
Sheldon Richardson fits the same critique, he is a player who is a playmaker and can change the complexion of a game.
He is disruptive and has to be accounted for.
When you know a defensive lineman or CB or QB only is one dimensional,
It gives the Offense various avenues to succeed.
Milliner and Richardson along with some other key players on the Jets could change the outcome of a game more than others.
You just don't draft players, you want to draft playmakers,
difference makers.
Geno Smith has the same potential and he has shown it his entire college career.
Give me 3 potential game changers and I'm on board.
The Jets have drafted their Kellers, and Greenes
and they have been good players but hardly game changers.
Yes the Jets could have drafted a particular guy, here and there,
but believe it or not we drafted 3 game changers with our first 3 picks.
This is not to take anything away from a good OL , WR, or RB.
I hope next year, I can be threading something along the same lines.
The Jets as a team have made some significant strides in the draft this year.
Lets keep grabbing players who can make an impact in a game and not just another body.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drafting difference makers & Playmakers is everyone's goal. Idzik's focus was to bring potential to the offensive side of the ball and bring talent & depth to the D/O lines. If Williams, Winters, and Howard or Oday can lock their positions down, we won't have to worry about a the offensive line for at least another 4 years. Same goes for the Dline if Richardson and Ellis play well.

I've always had playmakers/Game changers separated from difference makers. Defensive Examples;

Difference makers:
Revis's ability to play the run and take out the #1 WR gave the defense freedom to be creative with blitzing. Without him, we have to pay more attention to that side of the field.

Playmaker/Game Changer: Ed Reed
His ability to intercept the ball and score can change the momentum of the game at any given moment.

On offense we have potential.

Playmaker: Stephen Hill
If he can catch, he will be able to turn a simple hitch route into a 80 yard touchdown with his game breaking speed.

Difference maker: Chris Ivory
If Healthy, can become a chain mover and the focus of our offense.

So there is a chance we could already have the talent on this roster. We just have to wait it out and see what happens this season. Defensively, we need playmakers at the oLB position and the middle of the field. It's harder for QB's to hide away from them.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU PANTHERS (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
rampantjet

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of playmakers and difference makers i watched this today and it is possibly the most hilarious thing i have ever seen.

It is a video of Jadaeveon Clowney in High School.... I thought he looked dominant in college. This is the equivelent of watching Lebron play against HS kids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTkmiBdoBDc

Enjoy

I would consider trading away most of our 2014 draft for him lol.
imaiden6669

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:

couldnt agree more the Falcons traded there whole draft for Julio cause they knew he was a difference/play maker

well Clowney is the best defensive prospect since LT and thats not an unfair comparision HES THAT GOOD his impact on a defense could potentially be better then Julio was for Atlanta offense and then some

so if the Jets show this season that they are competitive and add alot of pieces in next years free agency i would give up most of my draft to get Clowney and simply enjoy him for the next 10-15 yrs

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imaiden6669 wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

couldnt agree more the Falcons traded there whole draft for Julio cause they knew he was a difference/play maker

well Clowney is the best defensive prospect since LT and thats not an unfair comparision HES THAT GOOD his impact on a defense could potentially be better then Julio was for Atlanta offense and then some

so if the Jets show this season that they are competitive and add alot of pieces in next years free agency i would give up most of my draft to get Clowney and simply enjoy him for the next 10-15 yrs

Clowney is a FAR more dominant and impressive prospect than Julio Jones coming out. Nothing against Julio he is a beast, but he wasn't even the top WR picked in his class. If Clowney isn't the first PLAYER picked much less pass rusher I will take it as a sign of the end of the world
green24

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
imaiden6669 wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

Clowney is a FAR more dominant and impressive prospect than Julio Jones coming out. Nothing against Julio he is a beast, but he wasn't even the top WR picked in his class. If Clowney isn't the first PLAYER picked much less pass rusher I will take it as a sign of the end of the world

First non-QB. I think Teddy Bridgewater goes before him.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
rampantjet

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually doubt that, but it is really going to depend on who the team is and what their QB situation is.
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need all kinds of players to win a championship. Obviously you want "playmakers" but I really want guys that make plays.

DeVito may not have been as physically gifted as other guys but he gave 100% every snap and did a lot of the things you need to do to win championships.

But I agree with your point; they drafted talented players.

- Cliff Burton
imaiden6669

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
rampantjet wrote:
imaiden6669 wrote:
rampantjet wrote:

First non-QB. I think Teddy Bridgewater goes before him.

your proving my point Clowney IS far and away better then Julio was hence it would not bother me to trade my whole draft away for this guy
and if for some reason we are the worst team and we are picking first i dont care how QB needy we are i am willing to pass on bridgewater to draft a player like Clowney but lets hope that isnt the case

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine drafting Jadeveon, the headline would write itself

"Circus adds a Clown-ey"

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jamax99

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every team, is going to try to get him. Maybe sanchez starts out great , and has a great year. And we could get a draft pick . Maybe Jacksonville.lol .
jetsfan4life51

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney-Richardson-Wilkerson-Coples would be so unfair but I wouldn't like our LBs one bit.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetsfan4life51 wrote:
Clowney-Richardson-Wilkerson-Coples would be so unfair but I wouldn't like our LBs one bit.

Davis and Harris should be very good.

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
jetsfan4life51 wrote:

Davis and Harris should be very good.

3-4 Defense

Wilkerson-Ellis-Richardson
Clowney-Harris-Davis-Coples

4-3 Defense

Clowney-Wilkerson-Richardson-Coples
Barnes/Sapp-Harris-Davis

we can literally throw out a different front every series

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
green24

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love our defense with Anthony Barr as well.

Wilkerson-Ellis-Richardson
Coples-Davis-Harris-Barr

aceinthehouse wrote:
Call it a hunch. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: