Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

First Reggie Pick to be Cut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Rob

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably the least productive one, i dont see Reggie as the scholarship type...with that said i think his picks will have a longer leash...the TE's for example.. i think Kasa and Rivera make it over Ausberry and Gordon...
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Bergstrom will be the notable name. Doubt he's a scheme fit. The staff was said to really like Nix and there are a couple guys they brought in this year.

Bergstrom will really have to show not only improvement, but ability to play in the PBS.

If he's cut, the Reggie haters will be on him to no end unfortunately.

Crawford IMO has some potential. Everyone is down on him because he didn't do much as a rookie, but come on. He was a 6th round developmental pick. What did you honestly expect?

I understand why he would be cut and I'm not a Reggie hater by any means, but shouldn't he be held accountable for Bergstrom's failures if he's cut? Say what you will about Greg Knapp but Reggie was the one with the final say on draft day, not the offensive coordinator. If he's cut, it was a bad pick.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Bergstrom will be the notable name. Doubt he's a scheme fit. The staff was said to really like Nix and there are a couple guys they brought in this year.

Bergstrom will really have to show not only improvement, but ability to play in the PBS.

Crawford IMO has some potential. Everyone is down on him because he didn't do much as a rookie, but come on. He was a 6th round developmental pick. What did you honestly expect?

Scheme aside Bergstrom can play G/T and we are pretty thin at Guard. He's a 3rd round guy too so I don't see the rush to lose the guy unless he is Bruce Campbell bad.

Crawford shouldn't have made the team. Just because he's a 6th rounder shouldn't make him invincible for Practice Squad. Raw guy with some potential is where he belongs.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamethus92 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

I understand why he would be cut and I'm not a Reggie hater by any means, but shouldn't he be held accountable for Bergstrom's failures if he's cut? Say what you will about Greg Knapp but Reggie was the one with the final say on draft day, not the offensive coordinator. If he's cut, it was a bad pick.

IMO, the draft is a crapshoot. Some picks are going to miss. Bergstrom will be under a microscope because he was Reggie's "first pick", but he was still #95 in the draft.

If a guy like Nix pushes him off the roster, then it's a win. He found a better player.

It's all about finding talent wherever it comes from. You hate to miss on a pick, but that's the nature of the draft.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id say berg but our lack of depth could keep him around way past his expiration date.

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
sandiegoraider1

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
Oh if you're talking about last years class then yeah, Crawford.

Crawford had a pretty strong camp last season I doubt he gets cut.
RaiderX

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandiegoraider1 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

He started off strong with his athleticism but quickly fell off IIRC. Did next to nothing in preseason.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
sandiegoraider1 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

He started off strong with his athleticism but quickly fell off IIRC. Did next to nothing in preseason.

He had a couple sacks if I recall. He was injured some too if memory serves.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
RaiderX wrote:
sandiegoraider1 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

He had a couple sacks if I recall. He was injured some too if memory serves.

Nope. I think we've had this conversation before too. I miss Dominique Hamilton.

SaveourSonics wrote:
dawsonleery

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see Bergstrom hanging around, we are so thin on the o-line and he is a decent swing guy. He'll only get cut if he looks completely horrible in camp.
Professor Oak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderX wrote:
sandiegoraider1 wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:

That's because he injured his foot after Game 2 in the preseason.

They already knew how much of a project he was when they took him so I doubt they'd give up on him. IMO, it's too early to give up on a guy when he was plagued by injuries for much of the year. Additionally, I don't even think they even saw enough of him in games OR practice to make a fair assessment. You never know though.
bitty

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing about drafting older players. They don't have a lot of time to develop. Tony Bergstrom will be 27 at the start of the season that's just to old for someone that's not ready to play right now.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

If a guy like Nix pushes him off the roster, then it's a win. He found a better player.

Someone else would have to push him off the roster. Our G depth chart is full of UDFAs. Bergstrom's versatility would probably still earn him a roster spot.
Jamethus92

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Jamethus92 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

IMO, the draft is a crapshoot. Some picks are going to miss. Bergstrom will be under a microscope because he was Reggie's "first pick", but he was still #95 in the draft.

It's all about finding talent wherever it comes from. You hate to miss on a pick, but that's the nature of the draft.

I agree that the draft is a crapshoot and that one bad pick does not a bad drafter make, but I don't agree that a UDFA beating him out makes it a win. Great that you found a good player but that means that pick could've been spent wisely.

Lets say DJ Hayden flops but Adrian Bushell turns out to be a good player. It doesn't make it a win. Bad selection. Of course, this is all presumptuous and hypothetical. Bergstrom could still turn out to be good.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitty wrote:
Here's the thing about drafting older players. They don't have a lot of time to develop. Tony Bergstrom will be 27 at the start of the season that's just to old for someone that's not ready to play right now.

I think that could be it to his age.

Why keep him over a younger guy that is barely worse then him ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: