Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free takes 50% pay cut to remain with team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buckwild

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
If Sportrac is accurate, then the new totals aren't horrible, but we'll still have plenty of work to do to get under the cap, especially since Lee and Dez are going to need extensions.

According to Rotoworld, Dez isn't a FA until 2015, so we do have some time to workout a contract with him.

Sorry, my Bad! But it is something that they should be preparing for in the future.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
. I don't want to be in a position where we have to restructure Romo's deal next year just as a means of getting under the cap. We've acted too irresponsibly with the cap as it is, and restructuring his deal would only make it worse.

Pretty sure we're restructuring Romo next year regardless. The deal seems designed that way, much like Carr's was.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
If Sportrac is accurate, then the new totals aren't horrible, but we'll still have plenty of work to do to get under the cap, especially since Lee and Dez are going to need extensions.

According to Rotoworld, Dez isn't a FA until 2015, so we do have some time to workout a contract with him.

Sorry, my Bad! But it is something that they should be preparing for in the future.

Oh, definitely. I just figure we'll re-sign Lee this year, and work out a contract for Dez next year.

^^^mack
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:

Oh, definitely. I just figure we'll re-sign Lee this year, and work out a contract for Dez next year.

Right about the time Austin amd Scan come off the books

Sig courtesy of mack.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Id be nice to lock up Lee before he starts racking up all-pros. Kind of like how we did on Ratliffs first contract.
you can throw Bryant into the mix as well. I would get him while he is still emerging, before he takes his next leap into the All Pro's an Pro Bowls and leads the stat charts. He is going to command a hefty contract if we don't get him a new one sooner than later.

Dez is going to ask for Mike Wallace type money, and the Cowboys need to prioritize their FA to be before extending guys.
if you want to prioritize, then I would say that Dez is the more valuable piece to this team over Lee. Health and contribution.

If Lee gets injured again in the first half of the season and is gone for the year, I don't want him extended unless it's incentive based. If he refuses it let him play out his rookie contract then franchise or trade him.

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
. I don't want to be in a position where we have to restructure Romo's deal next year just as a means of getting under the cap. We've acted too irresponsibly with the cap as it is, and restructuring his deal would only make it worse.

Pretty sure we're restructuring Romo next year regardless. The deal seems designed that way, much like Carr's was.

Then we're dumber than I thought. We already overpaid a guy who didn't deserve what he got, and now you think that we'll restructure the deal and guarantee him more money and possibly more years? That's not a decision that a smart front office makes.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you on Romo, but you already knew that.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

And you're wrong, but you already knew that, too. You don't hand $55M in guaranteed money to a guy who has one a grand total of one playoff game, personally choked away multiple win-or-go-home games, is 33, turnover prone, and possesses no appreciable leadership skills. And you absolutely don't restructure a horrible contract like that and guaranteed more money and possibly more years. Smart organizations don't make bad decisions like that.

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

And you're wrong, but you already knew that, too. You don't hand $55M in guaranteed money to a guy who has one a grand total of one playoff game, personally choked away multiple win-or-go-home games, is 33, turnover prone, and possesses no appreciable leadership skills. And you absolutely don't restructure a horrible contract like that and guaranteed more money and possibly more years. Smart organizations don't make bad decisions like that.

While I know it's not your point, the same issues can be said of Ware. Although interestingly enough he is considered a HOFer.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

While I know it's not your point, the same issues can be said of Ware. Although interestingly enough he is considered a HOFer.

No, they really can't. Ware isn't a QB. That's the person you look to when you need a win, not a LB.

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

No, they really can't. Ware isn't a QB. That's the person you look to when you need a win, not a LB.

Which is fine. And I am not really even contesting that. But the notion of QB wins or loses games is stupid. This isn't basketball. It's a team sport. Romo can't do anything if he gives us a lead and the Defense gives up a late score.

My point is Ware has 1 playoff win. Is injury prone. Has disappeared when it matters most. And yet he gets a pass.

I also reject your claim that Romo doesn't posses "appreciable" leadership skills. That sounds more like media spin than factual commentary.

My point was Romo deserved to be payed a very large contract. Not saying I liked what he got, but it was expected given his level of play and the demand of the QB position. I, unlike you, don't hold the playoff wins against Romo.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

Which is fine. And I am not really even contesting that. But the notion of QB wins or loses games is stupid. This isn't basketball. It's a team sport. Romo can't do anything if he gives us a lead and the Defense gives up a late score.

My point is Ware has 1 playoff win. Is injury prone. Has disappeared when it matters most. And yet he gets a pass.

I also reject your claim that Romo doesn't posses "appreciable" leadership skills. That sounds more like media spin than factual commentary.

My point was Romo deserved to be payed a very large contract. Not saying I liked what he got, but it was expected given his level of play and the demand of the QB position. I, unlike you, don't hold the playoff wins against Romo.

Romo throwing a collection of back breaking INTs throughout the course of a game and literally melting down on national TV is not on the defense, T_O7. The sad/pathetic thing is that the ONLY people who defend that are Romo supporting Cowboys fans. No one else. I have yet to see any analyst come to Romo's defense when he melts down. And that's because there is no defense for it.

And I'm not giving Ware a pass either, but you can't compare apples to oranges. A LB is not going to have the same impact on a game as a QB, team sport or not. In fact, that "team sport" statement is a blatant cop out as a means of helping prevent a player from being held accountable for anything. If you want to hang your hat on that silliness, are you going to blame the other 21 players for Romo's 3 INTs in the Washington game last year? It's a team sport after all...

Northland wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Romo deserves a lions share of the blame. But I have never been one to attribute 100% blame on one person. If the OL doesn't block and he is forced to throw it us, that's on both. If the WR runs the wrong route, that's on both.

I really wish you stop attempting to make it seem like I am absolving Romo of guilt. His sins are palpable. Just not ALL the sins people manifest for him are. There is this extreme militant thought where if you don't agree 100% on every issue, then you stand against. Which is silly. This is a team sport and that's not a cop out.

In Redball I Trust!
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Nah, Romo deserves a lions share of the blame. But I have never been one to attribute 100% blame on one person. If the OL doesn't block and he is forced to throw it us, that's on both. If the WR runs the wrong route, that's on both.

That's true, and I've never denied that. However, most people use that as an excuse to absolve him of any responsbility for his bad decisions. I wanted to make sure that you weren't doing the same thing.

Quote:
I really wish you stop attempting to make it seem like I am absolving Romo of guilt. His sins are palpable. Just not ALL the sins people manifest for him are. There is this extreme militant thought where if you don't agree 100% on every issue, then you stand against. Which is silly. This is a team sport and that's not a cop out.

Then you should be clearer with your statements. Because what isn't said is just as relevant as what is said. Not holding the win-or-go-home losses on Romo - the ones where he is directly responsible for the losses (Philly, Giants, Washington, etc., etc.) - is disingenuous, and we both know that. And you know that I don't hold the Seattle or Minnesota losses on him, but there are others where I do.

Northland wrote:
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
holding the win-or-go-home losses on Romo - the ones where he is directly responsible for the losses (Philly, Giants, Washington, etc., etc.) - is disingenuous...
FTFY. Romo has one win or go home loss against Philly and I can think of no clearer example of a team loss than a 44-6 drubbing where literally the entire team completely imploded within the first quarter. Romo has two against the Giants,but I really don't see how you can pin either of those on him-- especially the one where he had a 106 passer rating with a busted throwing hand coming into the game while taking six sacks.

That leaves Washington, which is on him, but the critical throw was one with a very well disguised coverage combined with the fortieth or fiftieth free run up the middle by a blitzing linebacker. The guy was on Romo in under two seconds. If the blitzer who fell off had kept coming instead of peeling off while romo was unable to see, then Romo's throw leaves Murray with one DB to beat for a game winning score.

Quote:

and we both know that. And you know that I don't hold the Seattle or Minnesota losses on him, but there are others
such as? I think we've covered the win or go home losses here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: