Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free takes 50% pay cut to remain with team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Being the same price as Clabo, and being terrible, makes me upset this is the route we chose.

But it's not the same price when you consider the cap implications. If you cut him post June 1st, it's Clabo + Free's Dead Money in 2014 vs. Just Free.

And if given the choice, which scenario would you prefer? Keeping Free on the cheap even though he sucks and could get Romo killed on any given play, or dumping him, taking a cap hit in 2014 and signing Clabo and ensuring that both of our OT spots are secure? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

I've been on record for a while now stating that the scenario I preferred was the one that played out. Based on what we saw of Parnell last year, I think we are far better off giving him a chance, letting Free be an extremely experienced swing tackle, and not mortgaging future cap space for an average player like Clabo.

But my main point in responding to Matts was to point out that it would not, in fact, have been the same price for both options.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we have 3.5M more in cap now. We had ~5M right? So we are somewhere in the neighborhood of ~7M after the recent signings?

We are still going to extend Spencer, I would guess. So where will we be after that? ~$10M? Any targets or do we use that to lock up Lee?

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
So, we have 3.5M more in cap now. We had ~5M right? So we are somewhere in the neighborhood of ~7M after the recent signings?

We are still going to extend Spencer, I would guess. So where will we be after that? ~$10M? Any targets or do we use that to lock up Lee?

I haven't heard anything about extending Spencer. I have heard that it's very likely we look to extend Lee.

^^^Deadpulse
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

Likely we will lock up Lee and Bailey before the start of Pre-Season.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Likely we will lock up Lee and Bailey before the start of Pre-Season.

Makes the most sense. Start locking up our young guys.

^^^Deadpulse
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id be nice to lock up Lee before he starts racking up all-pros. Kind of like how we did on Ratliffs first contract.

plan9misfit wrote:

If we're able to go 11-5 or better, then Garrett and his staff deserve to be coaches of the damned decade.
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Id be nice to lock up Lee before he starts racking up all-pros. Kind of like how we did on Ratliffs first contract.
you can throw Bryant into the mix as well. I would get him while he is still emerging, before he takes his next leap into the All Pro's an Pro Bowls and leads the stat charts. He is going to command a hefty contract if we don't get him a new one sooner than later.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
Being the same price as Clabo, and being terrible, makes me upset this is the route we chose.

But it's not the same price when you consider the cap implications. If you cut him post June 1st, it's Clabo + Free's Dead Money in 2014 vs. Just Free.

And if given the choice, which scenario would you prefer? Keeping Free on the cheap even though he sucks and could get Romo killed on any given play, or dumping him, taking a cap hit in 2014 and signing Clabo and ensuring that both of our OT spots are secure? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Do you really want to get rid of him and take the cap hit next year just because you think he sucks or is it because you think he sucks AND you would get to gripe about the cap hit? Laughing

I wouldn't gripe about the cap hit. I've gone on record numerous times to say that I'd always rather to take the lumps now in order to eliminate future cap problems. I've never deviated from that.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

I haven't heard anything about extending Spencer. I have heard that it's very likely we look to extend Lee.

I'm interested in finding out what the impact of Free's cut does to future caps. We know that we're already ~$30+M over next year's cap, so I'd like to know how much that charge has been lowered with this deal. I don't want to be in a position where we have to restructure Romo's deal next year just as a means of getting under the cap. We've acted too irresponsibly with the cap as it is, and restructuring his deal would only make it worse.

Northland wrote:
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
We know that we're already ~$30+M over next year's cap

I dont think we are 30+... I think its more like 16+. I know that Sportrac has a history of being wrong, but according to that:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap-hit/

We are 5.3 M under before the Free adjustment. So we are 8.8M under right now. That includes the rookies signed so far, but not hargrove. So, its more like 8M with 4 more rookies to sign. **

As for next year:

We are currently at 144M
Assuming the cap doesnt change - it will be 123M

So we are 21M over. If we adjust Free to 3.5 from 8M, that brings us down to 16.5 over.

So, right now with out making any moves and assuming the cap doesn't inflate up (which it will), we are ~16M over, not 30M.

** There is a chance we will be able to carry ~5M to next year as well, if we dont sign anyone else. That makes it more like 11M over.

plan9misfit wrote:

Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - I just read something interesting. If the Cowboys would have cut free, he would have been a cap hit of 3.5 each of the next 2 years. so from a cap stand point, Doug is "Free" to the Cowboys over the next two years.

I guess thats a positive. He cost us the same as he would of if we cut him. Even as a back up, those numbers make sense. Laughing

plan9misfit wrote:

buckwild

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
you can throw Bryant into the mix as well. I would get him while he is still emerging, before he takes his next leap into the All Pro's an Pro Bowls and leads the stat charts. He is going to command a hefty contract if we don't get him a new one sooner than later.

Dez is going to ask for Mike Wallace type money, and the Cowboys need to prioritize their FA to be before extending guys.

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
We know that we're already ~$30+M over next year's cap

I dont think we are 30+... I think its more like 16+. I know that Sportrac has a history of being wrong, but according to that:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/cap-hit/

We are 5.3 M under before the Free adjustment. So we are 8.8M under right now. That includes the rookies signed so far, but not hargrove. So, its more like 8M with 4 more rookies to sign. **

As for next year:

We are currently at 144M
Assuming the cap doesnt change - it will be 123M

So we are 21M over. If we adjust Free to 3.5 from 8M, that brings us down to 16.5 over.

So, right now with out making any moves and assuming the cap doesn't inflate up (which it will), we are ~16M over, not 30M.

** There is a chance we will be able to carry ~5M to next year as well, if we dont sign anyone else. That makes it more like 11M over.

If Sportrac is accurate, then the new totals aren't horrible, but we'll still have plenty of work to do to get under the cap, especially since Lee and Dez are going to need extensions.

Northland wrote:
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
If Sportrac is accurate, then the new totals aren't horrible, but we'll still have plenty of work to do to get under the cap, especially since Lee and Dez are going to need extensions.

According to Rotoworld, Dez isn't a FA until 2015, so we do have some time to workout a contract with him.

^^^Deadpulse
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buckwild wrote:
textaz03 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Dez is going to ask for Mike Wallace type money, and the Cowboys need to prioritize their FA to be before extending guys.
if you want to prioritize, then I would say that Dez is the more valuable piece to this team over Lee. Health and contribution.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: