Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free takes 50% pay cut to remain with team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

YES!

Free Stays!

SUCK IT ALL.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And if he continues to play like he did last year, what then? Hope that Parnell can carry the load? Romo should be upset with this "decision" by our front office because I doubt either of those guys will keep him healthy and upright.

He may continue to play awful. Or he might return to form. I am willing to give it one more year. It's clear so is the team.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
matt79511

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years, $7M is still too much for him based on these last two years. And it's definitely too much for a backup should the starting spot go to Parnell. It's better than keeping him at his current price, obviously, and arguably better than the 2014 cap implications of a post-June 1st cut. But I feel they could've done better.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@fishsports: Source: Free's 2nd yr $3.5M guaranteed ONLY if still with #cowboys 5 days after start of 2014 NFL year (starting Mar 1 or so)

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Matts4313

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the same price as Clabo, and being terrible, makes me upset this is the route we chose.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a smart move financially for the Boys.

3.5 Mil plus 3.2 mil from previous signing bonus his new CAP hit is 6.7 Mil vs 10.02 Mil CAP charge. A savings of 3.5 Mil towards 13 CAP.

Now his 14 salary is not guaranteed unless he is on the roster after the 5th day of the 14 league year. If he is, his CAP hit would be the same 6.7 mil. If we cut him before the 5th day of league year 14, we would take a CAP hit of 7 Mil. In dead money (Prorated salaries and reworks from previous contract). If we cut him after the 5th day out CAP hit would be 10.5 Mil unless we designate him a post June 1st and that would be a hit of 3 mil in 14 and
4 Mil in 15.

So there you go, that is the new financials of his 2 year deal. With this deal his former salaries for 15 and 16 (8 mil each) are totally gone. Basically that contract is torn up.

Runaway Jim

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy with this deal.

Does anyone remember how much cap relief we would have gotten if we had cut him June 1st instead?

The_Slamman wrote:
RJ is officially the Champion
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Runaway Jim wrote:
I'm happy with this deal.

Does anyone remember how much cap relief we would have gotten if we had cut him June 1st instead?

$7mil this year. Forget next year.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Being the same price as Clabo, and being terrible, makes me upset this is the route we chose.

But it's not the same price when you consider the cap implications. If you cut him post June 1st, it's Clabo + Free's Dead Money in 2014 vs. Just Free.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
2 years, $7M is still too much for him based on these last two years. And it's definitely too much for a backup should the starting spot go to Parnell. It's better than keeping him at his current price, obviously, and arguably better than the 2014 cap implications of a post-June 1st cut. But I feel they could've done better.

As do I, especially since we just dropped his salary down to what Clabo was looking for. We opted to pay a dramatically inferior player the same amount of money as what Clabo was looking for. That speaks volumes about the lack of vision with this organization. That kind of stupidity can't be defended.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

But it's not the same price when you consider the cap implications. If you cut him post June 1st, it's Clabo + Free's Dead Money in 2014 vs. Just Free.

And if given the choice, which scenario would you prefer? Keeping Free on the cheap even though he sucks and could get Romo killed on any given play, or dumping him, taking a cap hit in 2014 and signing Clabo and ensuring that both of our OT spots are secure? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

And if given the choice, which scenario would you prefer? Keeping Free on the cheap even though he sucks and could get Romo killed on any given play, or dumping him, taking a cap hit in 2014 and signing Clabo and ensuring that both of our OT spots are secure? The answer seems pretty obvious to me.

Do you really want to get rid of him and take the cap hit next year just because you think he sucks or is it because you think he sucks AND you would get to gripe about the cap hit? Laughing

Arkansas Razorback DE Trey Flowers 2014 Stat Tracker - 22 tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 1 Forced Fumble, 1 Pass Break Up
matt79511

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
@fishsports: Source: Free's 2nd yr $3.5M guaranteed ONLY if still with #cowboys 5 days after start of 2014 NFL year (starting Mar 1 or so)

This would imply to me that there's a good chance he gets cut should Parnell beat him out to start at RT. $3.5M is too much for a backup and it seems that there are no negative cap implications to cutting Free anymore.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

This would imply to me that there's a good chance he gets cut should Parnell beat him out to start at RT. $3.5M is too much for a backup and it seems that there are no negative cap implications to cutting Free anymore.

That's a good thing.

^^^mack
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

That's a good thing.
there are still ramifications for cutting Free. See my detailed post on it above.

Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
matt79511 wrote:
textaz03 wrote:

That's a good thing.
there are still ramifications for cutting Free. See my detailed post on it above.

Still seems as though we won't be taking as large a cap hit under this new deal if we were to cut him before the start of the new league year in 2014. That's a good thing.

Now we just have to hope that Parnell improves upon last season and establishes himself so we have one less area of concern for next year and several years after.

^^^mack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13

Jump to: