You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Best OLB Crew In The AFC North
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
If we're talking purely OLB, Pittsburgh has Woodley and...?

Jarvis Jones
Jason Worilds (underwhelming so far)
That's all I can think of.

For the first time in a while, they look thin at OLB. I liked Jarvis Jones more than most pre-draft, but I hope he flops now, obviously.


Worilds underwhelming? Sacrilege!!

The Steelers always draft well...want proof? They drafted that stud OLB in the 2nd round who has only missed 9 games the past two seasons...and that was only a mere 7 drafts ago.

But yeah, people say that Worilds, Hood, and Davis aren't going to continue to help the Steelers make the playoffs every year...and every year those guys...um

Wait, who's manning the Steelers front 7 next year and why would I want those guys over the ones likely to play in our front 7 next year?

But seriously, it's too early to tell who the best OLBs are in the AFCN, largely because we haven't seen Kruger, Mingo, Sheard, and Groves play in Horton's scheme yet...nor have we seen Suggs, Dumerville, Scrub#1 and Scrub #2 play together either...

We also don't know if Jones will see much playing time, like several recent Steelers #1 picks...or if Woodley can make it through a whole season...and don't even get me started about THEIR scrub backups...

Now the Bengals...pretty much a mystery to me...as per usual
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 15359
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
If we're talking purely OLB, Pittsburgh has Woodley and...?

Jarvis Jones
Jason Worilds (underwhelming so far)
That's all I can think of.

For the first time in a while, they look thin at OLB. I liked Jarvis Jones more than most pre-draft, but I hope he flops now, obviously.


To be fair, I think most Browns fans thought this when James Harrison took over for Joey Porter. Or when Joey Porter took over for Jason Gildon, or when Jason Gildon took over for Greg Lloyd....

I'm guessing you've got the gist.
_________________
First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
candyman93


Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 59121
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.


See this is my problem. Worilds has not done anything. Then you're talking about their rookie. Why exactly can't Browns fans have the same argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 15359
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

candyman93 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.


See this is my problem. Worilds has not done anything. Then you're talking about their rookie. Why exactly can't Browns fans have the same argument.


Worilds had been developed for a few years in their scheme. Just like Gildon, Lloyd, Porter, Woodley, Greene, etc.
_________________
First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 28488
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbs1988 wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
Let's expand this to front 7

That should be very tough.


I tried to rank them, it was damn near impossible.

Every team has holes in their front 7's

Our biggest hole is at ILB

I think I would take our front 3 against anybody though.


ILB's

The Ravens have Arthur Brown and ???

The Steelers obviously have Timmons

and Cincy has Maualuga

I can honestly say we have the 2nd best MLB group in the AFC North with DQJ/Robertson, and JMJ... and if these young guys develop then look out


Front seven I think we are 1st
ILB I think we are 2nd or 3rd. Why did I think Arthur Brown played outside????

OLB we are 3 or 4.

If McFadden plays like we hope he can, our secondary could be 2nd.
_________________

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
If we're talking purely OLB, Pittsburgh has Woodley and...?

Jarvis Jones
Jason Worilds (underwhelming so far)
That's all I can think of.

For the first time in a while, they look thin at OLB. I liked Jarvis Jones more than most pre-draft, but I hope he flops now, obviously.


To be fair, I think most Browns fans thought this when James Harrison took over for Joey Porter. Or when Joey Porter took over for Jason Gildon, or when Jason Gildon took over for Greg Lloyd....

I'm guessing you've got the gist.


Harrison was a rookie when he took over? I thought it was in his 5th year?

Porter was in year 2...

Gildon was in year 3...

Same with Lloyd (not a rookie--year 2).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 15359
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:


Front seven I think we are 1st
ILB I think we are 2nd or 3rd. Why did I think Arthur Brown played outside????


Pitt, more years than not, have a top 5 overall defense and often the best run defense in the league.

Until they aren't that good, and until we aren't at the bottom of the league against the run, this is going to be viewed by as homerism.

I love your confidence, but Pittsburgh's defense is legit. Don't forget, they're rockin' 3 1st rounders on their DL to go with the best LB unit in the division.
_________________
First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 28488
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:


Front seven I think we are 1st
ILB I think we are 2nd or 3rd. Why did I think Arthur Brown played outside????


Pitt, more years than not, have a top 5 overall defense and often the best run defense in the league.

Until they aren't that good, and until we aren't at the bottom of the league against the run, this is going to be viewed by as homerism.

I love your confidence, but Pittsburgh's defense is legit. Don't forget, they're rockin' 3 1st rounders on their DL to go with the best LB unit in the division.


Ziggy Hood is not performing up to his draft level.

Cam could be very good

Who else is there?

It may be potential, but I love the thought of Rubin, Taylor and Bryant
_________________

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:


Front seven I think we are 1st
ILB I think we are 2nd or 3rd. Why did I think Arthur Brown played outside????


Pitt, more years than not, have a top 5 overall defense and often the best run defense in the league.

Until they aren't that good, and until we aren't at the bottom of the league against the run, this is going to be viewed by as homerism.

I love your confidence, but Pittsburgh's defense is legit. Don't forget, they're rockin' 3 1st rounders on their DL to go with the best LB unit in the division.


It has always been the players...

They no longer have the players. They do NOT have the best LB unit in the division...maybe they will, but they don't right now.

Having 1st rounders doesn't equate to 'good'...and what 1st rounders are you talking about on their DL anyway? Hood? He's not very good...ask the Steelers fans too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
abbs1988


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 550
Location: #freEJGordon
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
There appears to be a few homers in this thread. Cool

Baltimore is clearly number 1. TSizzle and Dumervil are both Pro Bowlers who have previously led the league in sacks. Courtney Upshaw provides nice depth and John Simon is an intriguing rookie.

Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.

Cincinnati is 3rd. Different scheme, but more proven players. Harrison is Harrison. On the decline, but still solid. Burfict had a very solid rookie year.

Cleveland pulls up the rear. Paul Kruger had a good year last season, but he's changing teams and will now be looked at as the teams best pass rusher. Can he handle the extra attention offensive lines will be paying him? Sheard has proven to be solid the past 2 years....but in a 4-3. Mingo is as talented as any rookie in this class. How much he will be able to contribute remains to be seen.

Bottom line is there are too many unknowns to put Cleveland anywhere but at the bottom. I will say however, we have enough talent to make this same discussion very different at seasons end if everyone develops/transitions well.


You don't think Kruger can play better than Woodley, Sheard play better than Worlids, and Mingo play better than Jarvis?

As far as playing better than Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw... that's a whole other beast
_________________

"I Know What Hue Jackson Can Do" -Hue Jackson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nugpimpen


Joined: 18 Feb 2006
Posts: 28488
Location: 10 Miles South of Cleveland
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbs1988 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
There appears to be a few homers in this thread. Cool

Baltimore is clearly number 1. TSizzle and Dumervil are both Pro Bowlers who have previously led the league in sacks. Courtney Upshaw provides nice depth and John Simon is an intriguing rookie.

Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.

Cincinnati is 3rd. Different scheme, but more proven players. Harrison is Harrison. On the decline, but still solid. Burfict had a very solid rookie year.

Cleveland pulls up the rear. Paul Kruger had a good year last season, but he's changing teams and will now be looked at as the teams best pass rusher. Can he handle the extra attention offensive lines will be paying him? Sheard has proven to be solid the past 2 years....but in a 4-3. Mingo is as talented as any rookie in this class. How much he will be able to contribute remains to be seen.

Bottom line is there are too many unknowns to put Cleveland anywhere but at the bottom. I will say however, we have enough talent to make this same discussion very different at seasons end if everyone develops/transitions well.


You don't think Kruger can play better than Woodley, Sheard play better than Worlids, and Mingo play better than Jarvis?

As far as playing better than Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw... that's a whole other beast


I would take Kruger, Sheard and Mingo over Cinci's OLB's.

Our OLB crew is mostly unknown though.

Who knows if Sheard succeeds there? Same with Mingo.

They both should, and if they do, we will be #2 in the division unless Jarvis Jones becomes a beast too.
_________________

2015 Adopt-A-Brown:
Joe Thomas, GOAT
Christian Kirksey, ILB
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 15359
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropy wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
If we're talking purely OLB, Pittsburgh has Woodley and...?

Jarvis Jones
Jason Worilds (underwhelming so far)
That's all I can think of.

For the first time in a while, they look thin at OLB. I liked Jarvis Jones more than most pre-draft, but I hope he flops now, obviously.


To be fair, I think most Browns fans thought this when James Harrison took over for Joey Porter. Or when Joey Porter took over for Jason Gildon, or when Jason Gildon took over for Greg Lloyd....

I'm guessing you've got the gist.


Harrison was a rookie when he took over? I thought it was in his 5th year?

Porter was in year 2...

Gildon was in year 3...

Same with Lloyd (not a rookie--year 2).


I was referring to Worilds.

Thanks for reiterating my point.
_________________
First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LETSGOBROWNIES


Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Posts: 15359
Location: CINCINNATI
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abbs1988 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
There appears to be a few homers in this thread. Cool

Baltimore is clearly number 1. TSizzle and Dumervil are both Pro Bowlers who have previously led the league in sacks. Courtney Upshaw provides nice depth and John Simon is an intriguing rookie.

Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.

Cincinnati is 3rd. Different scheme, but more proven players. Harrison is Harrison. On the decline, but still solid. Burfict had a very solid rookie year.

Cleveland pulls up the rear. Paul Kruger had a good year last season, but he's changing teams and will now be looked at as the teams best pass rusher. Can he handle the extra attention offensive lines will be paying him? Sheard has proven to be solid the past 2 years....but in a 4-3. Mingo is as talented as any rookie in this class. How much he will be able to contribute remains to be seen.

Bottom line is there are too many unknowns to put Cleveland anywhere but at the bottom. I will say however, we have enough talent to make this same discussion very different at seasons end if everyone develops/transitions well.


You don't think Kruger can play better than Woodley, Sheard play better than Worlids, and Mingo play better than Jarvis?

As far as playing better than Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw... that's a whole other beast


I don't think Kruger is anywhere near as good as Woodley.

Worilds has had a chance to develop in the system. You, nor I, nor the coaching staff have any idea what Sheard will look like in the 3-4. LeBeau knows exactly what Worilds should give him, you would think anyway.

As far as Mingo vs Jones, only time will tell. Obviously Mingo is the better prospect and athlete, but that was also the case last season when Jones put together the far better season. We'll see.
_________________
First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
Entropy wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
candyman93 wrote:
If we're talking purely OLB, Pittsburgh has Woodley and...?

Jarvis Jones
Jason Worilds (underwhelming so far)
That's all I can think of.

For the first time in a while, they look thin at OLB. I liked Jarvis Jones more than most pre-draft, but I hope he flops now, obviously.


To be fair, I think most Browns fans thought this when James Harrison took over for Joey Porter. Or when Joey Porter took over for Jason Gildon, or when Jason Gildon took over for Greg Lloyd....

I'm guessing you've got the gist.


Harrison was a rookie when he took over? I thought it was in his 5th year?

Porter was in year 2...

Gildon was in year 3...

Same with Lloyd (not a rookie--year 2).


I was referring to Worilds.

Thanks for reiterating my point.


Oh, Worilds, my bad...he's a football player right?

And he has done what in 3 years now? He did stuff like Porter, Gildon, Llyod, and Harrison you say? What stuff?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Entropy


Joined: 16 Jul 2012
Posts: 2736
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
abbs1988 wrote:
LETSGOBROWNIES wrote:
There appears to be a few homers in this thread. Cool

Baltimore is clearly number 1. TSizzle and Dumervil are both Pro Bowlers who have previously led the league in sacks. Courtney Upshaw provides nice depth and John Simon is an intriguing rookie.

Pittsburgh is 2nd. Woodley is a proven guy in LeBeau's 3-4 and a former Pro Bowler. Jason Worilds is the latest in the long line of Pitt OLB's to have been properly groomed and will probably start opposite Woodley. Jarvis Jones will compete for a backup role.

Cincinnati is 3rd. Different scheme, but more proven players. Harrison is Harrison. On the decline, but still solid. Burfict had a very solid rookie year.

Cleveland pulls up the rear. Paul Kruger had a good year last season, but he's changing teams and will now be looked at as the teams best pass rusher. Can he handle the extra attention offensive lines will be paying him? Sheard has proven to be solid the past 2 years....but in a 4-3. Mingo is as talented as any rookie in this class. How much he will be able to contribute remains to be seen.

Bottom line is there are too many unknowns to put Cleveland anywhere but at the bottom. I will say however, we have enough talent to make this same discussion very different at seasons end if everyone develops/transitions well.


You don't think Kruger can play better than Woodley, Sheard play better than Worlids, and Mingo play better than Jarvis?

As far as playing better than Suggs, Dumervil, and Upshaw... that's a whole other beast


I don't think Kruger is anywhere near as good as Woodley.

Worilds has had a chance to develop in the system. You, nor I, nor the coaching staff have any idea what Sheard will look like in the 3-4. LeBeau knows exactly what Worilds should give him, you would think anyway.

As far as Mingo vs Jones, only time will tell. Obviously Mingo is the better prospect and athlete, but that was also the case last season when Jones put together the far better season. We'll see.


How do you or I know as much as the coaching staff about Sheard's potential in a system that Horton runs? Answer: we don't...Horton does have a pretty good idea though...you and I have to wait and see what Horton does with him, however.

Kruger isn't 'anywhere near' Woodley? Are you sure? Oh, are you not talking about right now? Are you referring to a time before the past 2 seasons?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group