Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bulaga to LT, Sitton to LG, Lang to RG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NCPackFan


Joined: 12 Jan 2013
Posts: 2161
Location: Kinston, NC
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break.


well here's the next question: if that ability/bend/movement was in fact lost, does that make him better off as a Guard rather than a Tackle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
packfan4


Joined: 22 Mar 2007
Posts: 10821
Location: South Jersey
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this thread shows me is out crappy our luck with injuries is...

Collins, Terrence Murphy, Sherrod, Harrell, Jeremy Thompson.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
{Family Ghost}


Joined: 08 Jun 2010
Posts: 1356
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
Heard something about nerve damage with Sherrod. Never a good thing.


Clearly there was a nerve issue or they would not have pulled the pins. That said, I have a very solid tie when it comes to Packers injuries and was told everything has been on the up and up with Sherrod after the 2nd surgery. In that, I don't think they made this move because of a setback. I truly feel this staff now has doubts about what Sherrod might be post injury. Damn shame!

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break. It sucks for Sherrod but at that point the staff would CLEARLY be doing the right thing here. In many ways Sherrod's leg should be looked at the same way one looks at Datko's shoulders. Ya hold hope and the Docs say everything looks the part, but it's always in the back of your mind. If for no other reason than one injury often leading to another. Know what I mean?


I think the Packers are just being more proactive in general. They know they are in a window where they can make some serious noise when it comes to winning titles, and they are getting tired of waiting around for people to get healthy, or grow into their roles.

They have made major changes at Oline and RB in an attempt to get better now. If guys like Alex Green, James Starks, Derek Sherrod, and Andrew Datko can make some noise they can get back into the picture, but it seems the Packers are not going to be counting on people to suddenly put it all together.

They covered themselves a bit with the Bishop injury by signing Brad Jones. He was a decent stater the second half of last year.

Kicker ... they got a guy to compete against the awful Mason Crosby.

Safety is an area where they were not been proactive this year, but the two young guys they are counting on their to fill the spot next to Burnett were somewhat productive last season when Woodson was on the sidelines, plus they are not coming off injury.

Back to Sherrod .. Packers would look silly if they counted on him to beat out Newhouse, and then he failed to make significant progress. It's a smart move to go with Bulaga for now at LT, and then if one of those guys really comes into his own you have plenty of options.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Kuhn


Joined: 07 Dec 2011
Posts: 369
Location: UWM
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

packfan4 wrote:
All this thread shows me is out crappy our luck with injuries is...

Collins, Terrence Murphy, Sherrod, Harrell, Jeremy Thompson.


This.

Hate to be whiny fan cause injuries happen to everybody but we seem to get screwed more than others in that department.
_________________
ChaRisMa wrote:
So get off Ted's cashews people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoPackGo


Joined: 12 Oct 2008
Posts: 3753
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
packfan4 wrote:
All this thread shows me is out crappy our luck with injuries is...

Collins, Terrence Murphy, Sherrod, Harrell, Jeremy Thompson.


This.

Hate to be whiny fan cause injuries happen to everybody but we seem to get screwed more than others in that department.


And with others it's their 7th round dime CB and they're all distraught. "Oh what might have beennnnnnnn..."

Psh, try being a Packer fan!
_________________

God, family, and the Green Bay Packers; in that order.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kal-El


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 3729
Location: Milwaukee, WI. Team: Packers.
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kuhn wrote:
packfan4 wrote:
All this thread shows me is out crappy our luck with injuries is...

Collins, Terrence Murphy, Sherrod, Harrell, Jeremy Thompson.


This.

Hate to be whiny fan cause injuries happen to everybody but we seem to get screwed more than others in that department.



Law of averages, yo.

Other teams make both good and bad picks.

TT only makes good picks, so he has to lose some to injury. The universe demands it.
_________________
stockholder wrote:
Nothing coherent. Ever.

Pro-Johnny Footbawl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kampman74


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 7135
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal-El wrote:
The Kuhn wrote:
packfan4 wrote:
All this thread shows me is out crappy our luck with injuries is...

Collins, Terrence Murphy, Sherrod, Harrell, Jeremy Thompson.


This.

Hate to be whiny fan cause injuries happen to everybody but we seem to get screwed more than others in that department.



Law of averages, yo.

Other teams make both good and bad picks.

TT only makes good picks, so he has to lose some to injury. The universe demands it.


Damn Skippy!!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MNPackfan32


Joined: 22 Sep 2010
Posts: 7979
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break.


well here's the next question: if that ability/bend/movement was in fact lost, does that make him better off as a Guard rather than a Tackle?
He is a "LT Only mind". The guy doesn't have 1 nasty bone in his body. Plus there is a 0% chance of him unseating Sitton or Lang. So, no, no we don't move him to guard. Body type says 4 of 5 but mind really says LT only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gopackgonerd


Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 550
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
palmy50 wrote:

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break.


well here's the next question: if that ability/bend/movement was in fact lost, does that make him better off as a Guard rather than a Tackle?
He is a "LT Only mind". The guy doesn't have 1 nasty bone in his body. Plus there is a 0% chance of him unseating Sitton or Lang. So, no, no we don't move him to guard. Body type says 4 of 5 but mind really says LT only.


I hardly doubt he can only play LT.. If he doesn't have a nasty bone in his body, then why is he playing football?

I remember I saw him come in at RT vs the Falcons and finished that game. He looked pretty damn good.

I don't know how well Sherrod (If that's who we're talking about) will play after this injury but if we take MM's word for it, he's a changed man.

Hope the kid can contribute even if he's a backup.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13867
PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt Sherrod can play RT. Just think it takes away the "special" in him. He sure as hell is not a 1st round RT prospect.

Guard is a little different. I don't even think he would be league average in there. Leverage would be a HUGE issue for him. I don't think he has the mindset to get by with less in there either. Tough kid, but there is not much dog in him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ajhawk5047


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 1160
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With MM mentioning that he wants to try Lang at center, it got me thinking. If Lang plays well there and earns the starting spot, could we see a starting line that looks like this?

LT: Bulaga
LG: Sitton
C: Lang
RG: Barclay
RT: Bakhtiari/Newhouse/Sherrod

Not sure how realistic it is, but I feel like this is the lineup with the highest potential. Palmy has mentioned that he thinks Barclay can be a great interior player, so if lang can handle center I like the looks of this. Still not sure who would play RT for us, but I do think Bakhtiari is definitely viewed as the future at RT.

On a side note, has anyone ever been this excited for a RT battle? We could potentially see a fight between Bak, Newhouse, Barclay, Sherrod and maybe even Datko. Like I said, I'm pretty sure Bak is thought of as the future at RT, but he might be a year or so away from starting. I think he could be an absolute stud there. The only real knock on him is his height (and he's not THAT short. The guy's 6'4).

Any thoughts people?
_________________
Go Packers!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ayt


Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 914
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I don't doubt Sherrod can play RT. Just think it takes away the "special" in him. He sure as hell is not a 1st round RT prospect.

Guard is a little different. I don't even think he would be league average in there. Leverage would be a HUGE issue for him. I don't think he has the mindset to get by with less in there either. Tough kid, but there is not much dog in him.


If Sherrod has any "special" in him he can earn a starting spot at RT this season. If we need to make changes down the line, that is great because it means that Sherrod actually panned out as an LT prospect. As of right now, we don't even know when he'll be ready to compete for the RT job.

If a guy could be a "special" LT, he certainly can win a RT job against the likes of a Newhouse, Barclay, or Bakhtiari. If he can even be an average NFL LT, he should be able to win the RT job without a problem.


Last edited by ayt on Fri May 10, 2013 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13867
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ayt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I don't doubt Sherrod can play RT. Just think it takes away the "special" in him. He sure as hell is not a 1st round RT prospect.

Guard is a little different. I don't even think he would be league average in there. Leverage would be a HUGE issue for him. I don't think he has the mindset to get by with less in there either. Tough kid, but there is not much dog in him.


If Sherrod has any "special" in him he can earn a starting spot at RT and then move to LT as soon as next season.


Maybe, I just have a hard time buying into them doing this all again. If Bulaga grades well at LT, very good chance he stays there long term IMO.

EDIT: as for your add on there. That's just not how it works. Sherrod's game plays much different at RT.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 13867
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ajhawk5047 wrote:
With MM mentioning that he wants to try Lang at center, it got me thinking. If Lang plays well there and earns the starting spot, could we see a starting line that looks like this?

LT: Bulaga
LG: Sitton
C: Lang
RG: Barclay
RT: Bakhtiari/Newhouse/Sherrod

Not sure how realistic it is, but I feel like this is the lineup with the highest potential. Palmy has mentioned that he thinks Barclay can be a great interior player, so if lang can handle center I like the looks of this. Still not sure who would play RT for us, but I do think Bakhtiari is definitely viewed as the future at RT.

On a side note, has anyone ever been this excited for a RT battle? We could potentially see a fight between Bak, Newhouse, Barclay, Sherrod and maybe even Datko. Like I said, I'm pretty sure Bak is thought of as the future at RT, but he might be a year or so away from starting. I think he could be an absolute stud there. The only real knock on him is his height (and he's not THAT short. The guy's 6'4).

Any thoughts people?


I could see something like that down the line but not this year. No way is anyone selling me on EDS not being in this Packers TOP5 this year. Bak needs a little gym work and Barclay would need a little time at guard as well. No way they would grade well enough this year for me to pull Lang from guard even if you take EDS out of it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ayt


Joined: 27 Apr 2009
Posts: 914
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
ayt wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I don't doubt Sherrod can play RT. Just think it takes away the "special" in him. He sure as hell is not a 1st round RT prospect.

Guard is a little different. I don't even think he would be league average in there. Leverage would be a HUGE issue for him. I don't think he has the mindset to get by with less in there either. Tough kid, but there is not much dog in him.


If Sherrod has any "special" in him he can earn a starting spot at RT and then move to LT as soon as next season.


Maybe, I just have a hard time buying into them doing this all again. If Bulaga grades well at LT, very good chance he stays there long term IMO.

EDIT: as for your add on there. That's just not how it works. Sherrod's game plays much different at RT.


What is the alternative? Let Newhouse battle it out at LT after two extremely disappointing seasons at LT against Sherrod, a guy that hasn't played a snap since his rookie year and wasn't impressive as a rook, and, perhaps, a 4th round OT in Bakhtiari?

Sherrod my have a high ceiling as a LT, but thus far he's shown nothing as an NFL player and he hasn't taken an NFL snap since December 18th, 2011. I love his potential, but there is a gigantic difference between his potential as a 1st round pick a couple years ago and where he is now. Given what has transpired for him as a pro, the Packers should have no expectations for him entering this season.

Going into the season with a gigantic question mark in Sherrod as the only competition at LT for a subpar Newhouse would be extremely foolish. Moving Bulaga to LT and letting a handful of players battle it out for the RT spot is the shrewd move. If Sherrod has any future as an NFL LT, he should win the spot fairly easily.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group