Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bulaga to LT, Sitton to LG, Lang to RG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
persiandud

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the board fell the way it did, and we got Datone.

Don't know much about Kyle Long, other than some pundits claiming it was a bit of a reach by the Bears taking him where they did. If Long was a sure-fire thing, I'd take him 10 times out of 10 over Jones, because our left side needs fortifying big time.

I keep hearing different things about Sherrod. Is there a possibility his career is over? A broken leg sounds terrible and unfortunate, but it's possible to come back from that sort of thing, right? Or does this sort of injury mean he's no longer suited to man the left side, and is now more likely to be a backup for our line?

What a shame.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard something about nerve damage with Sherrod. Never a good thing.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

I broke both my lower leg bones and there aren't too many nerves down there, and it takes at least a full year for those bones to heal properly. The leg atrophies pretty bad and its my guess on why Sherrod didn't play at all last year. I suspect he should be good to go this year. Recent news on Sherrod is very encouraging so I see him at RT and not attempt LT until he can get some playing time. Moving Bulaga to LT makes sense to me because that is his natural position.
Pugger

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Sherrod's draft was the first I followed remotely close. I was fairly happy with the selection and figured it would be huge to pair an elite set of movement skills with Rodgers' blindside.

Now we may not see that. Rough. Collins, now this.

Collins' injury made him retire. I don't know if Sherrod's injury is career threatening.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

Clearly there was a nerve issue or they would not have pulled the pins. That said, I have a very solid tie when it comes to Packers injuries and was told everything has been on the up and up with Sherrod after the 2nd surgery. In that, I don't think they made this move because of a setback. I truly feel this staff now has doubts about what Sherrod might be post injury. Damn shame!

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break. It sucks for Sherrod but at that point the staff would CLEARLY be doing the right thing here. In many ways Sherrod's leg should be looked at the same way one looks at Datko's shoulders. Ya hold hope and the Docs say everything looks the part, but it's always in the back of your mind. If for no other reason than one injury often leading to another. Know what I mean?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in that case...... schit.

Sad Mad
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Clearly there was a nerve issue or they would not have pulled the pins. That said, I have a very solid tie when it comes to Packers injuries and was told everything has been on the up and up with Sherrod after the 2nd surgery. In that, I don't think they made this move because of a setback. I truly feel this staff now has doubts about what Sherrod might be post injury. Damn shame!

Hard to fight the staff on this move if ability/bend/movement was lost with that leg break. It sucks for Sherrod but at that point the staff would CLEARLY be doing the right thing here. In many ways Sherrod's leg should be looked at the same way one looks at Datko's shoulders. Ya hold hope and the Docs say everything looks the part, but it's always in the back of your mind. If for no other reason than one injury often leading to another. Know what I mean?

My optimistic take on this is that the staff believed that because of the rust, lack of NFL seasoning, and mental hurdle to overcome after injury the staff believed there was no way they could count on Sherrod to protect QB1's blind side this year, and were planning on just giving him the year as Bulaga's backup and see what happens next year.

I'm just trying to find a way to convince myself that there weren't any ability/movement skills lost here. Even if there weren't, it was going to be tough for Sherrod to win the LT gig this year, though.
palmy50

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel ya. I for one just have a hard time buying into the idea of this staff moving Bulaga back to RT if he grades well at LT this year for a host of reasons. At some level, my hopes for Sherrod were lost with this move. Right or wrong.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
My optimistic take on this is that the staff believed that because of the rust, lack of NFL seasoning, and mental hurdle to overcome after injury the staff believed there was no way they could count on Sherrod to protect QB1's blind side this year, and were planning on just giving him the year as Bulaga's backup and see what happens next year.

I'm just trying to find a way to convince myself that there weren't any ability/movement skills lost here. Even if there weren't, it was going to be tough for Sherrod to win the LT gig this year, though.

I'm with you, but we're both in denial.

I have him pencilled in at LT backup... we'll have to see what August brings.
dijatool

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going through some data from last year and remembered just how bad Bulaga was from a penalty standpoint. Through 9 weeks, he was leading the OL in penalties with 6 (5 enforced): 2 false starts and 4 holding calls for 40 yards. Sitton wound up tying him after 18 games.

I hope that trend doesn't continue.
HokieHigh

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
I was going through some data from last year and remembered just how bad Bulaga was from a penalty standpoint. Through 9 weeks, he was leading the OL in penalties with 6 (5 enforced): 2 false starts and 4 holding calls for 40 yards. Sitton wound up tying him after 18 games.

I hope that trend doesn't continue.

I wonder how many of these would have resulted in A-Rod getting pummeled if he hadn't committed them.

In other words, how many of these are mental errors and how many of them are him getting beat?
packfan4

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling Bak is going to be our starting RT Week 1, the more I watch & read about him I think he's going to really bring it in camp. So my official prediction is Bulaga-Sitton-EDS-Lang-Bak.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:

Taking out the pins is because he doesn't need them anymore and has no association with nerve damage. I am sure where the leg was broken that part of the bone is stronger than ever so you take out the pins to enable the player to have future MRI's in that leg if needed. I think the question is his level of rehabilitation and how a year off will effect his development. Sherrod will also have to deal with the fear factor of getting hurt again and perhaps whether the hip also got damaged from the injury. I suspect Sherrod will be able to play again and we will see if he is good enough to start.
blueswedeshoes

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the ground has been pretty well covered in this thread already.

The Packers must have realized, at some point prior to the draft, that their plans at the time of drafting Sherrod were overtaken by events and must be scrapped.

Starting from scratch, with the players they had, with a need to protect the left side better and run better on both sides, how would they draw up a depth chart and what kind of guys would they want to bring in for backing up and filling in the weaker spots on the line?

It was time. Better now than last season, and better now than out of desperation in October.

I don't see Sherrod or Newhouse in the huddle when the best five take the field.
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
I feel ya. I for one just have a hard time buying into the idea of this staff moving Bulaga back to RT if he grades well at LT this year for a host of reasons. At some level, my hopes for Sherrod were lost with this move. Right or wrong.

Sucks because Sherrod had some plus skills before a freak injury, but if Bak or Barclay or Datko or Newhouse take this RT gig and play at a plus level we lose nothing IMO. Bulaga is going to be a great LT, and if we can find someone on the right side than we lose out on a 1st round pick, but just like the loss of Harrell did nothing to damage our long-term, Sherrod will be the same. One of the benefits of having a deep, talented roster, no pressure on that 1st round pick, as long as you hit on 2-3 from the class, you're OK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: