Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anyone else concerned about our Defense?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
This year may not be the best for Garrett, but it could be good for Dallas' future. We may be forced this year to find out what we have or don't have in players like Crawford, Wilbur, Johnson, Church, Arkin, Leary, Harris, and Beastley.

I think Williams was brought in to allow Dallas to cut/trade Austin in 2014(8mil cap#). Webb to replace Scandrick in 2014(5mil cap#). I hope either Crawford or Wilbur can replace Spencer, so we don't re-sign/extend him. Romo may get killed, but at least we will know, barring injuries, whether Arkin, Leary, and Parnell are legit starters.

It's pretty clear that our strategy going in was to run a financial management draft this year. We looked for value - and got it in spades in the 3rd round - but were equally focused on finding players who can/hopefully will replace some of the current players who have albatross contracts. While I'm upset that we did next to nothing on o-line (and, as you know, I really liked the Frederick selection) and literally nothing on d-line, we need to have some younger guys at those positions to eliminate the significant cap burdens that guys like Miles Austin and Scandrick have relative to their on-field perfomances.

I think you and I agree here. In my redraft I wanted Frederick, Warford and Moore to go with Williams and our other picks but I can see the strategy they took and understand why they did.

When I was watching the draft, I couldn't believe we had Armstead and Damontre Moore both available. I was hoping we would take Armstead first, and Moore fall to the second pick of the third round. I really had no idea who we would pick in the second after we took Frederick, and Cyprien was drafted. That said, I like the players we drafted. Just wish they had been better prepared for at least a solid backup at RT. I guess it was Free and Reduced or nothing at all.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
plan9misfit wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
This year may not be the best for Garrett, but it could be good for Dallas' future. We may be forced this year to find out what we have or don't have in players like Crawford, Wilbur, Johnson, Church, Arkin, Leary, Harris, and Beastley.

I think Williams was brought in to allow Dallas to cut/trade Austin in 2014(8mil cap#). Webb to replace Scandrick in 2014(5mil cap#). I hope either Crawford or Wilbur can replace Spencer, so we don't re-sign/extend him. Romo may get killed, but at least we will know, barring injuries, whether Arkin, Leary, and Parnell are legit starters.

It's pretty clear that our strategy going in was to run a financial management draft this year. We looked for value - and got it in spades in the 3rd round - but were equally focused on finding players who can/hopefully will replace some of the current players who have albatross contracts. While I'm upset that we did next to nothing on o-line (and, as you know, I really liked the Frederick selection) and literally nothing on d-line, we need to have some younger guys at those positions to eliminate the significant cap burdens that guys like Miles Austin and Scandrick have relative to their on-field perfomances.

I think you and I agree here. In my redraft I wanted Frederick, Warford and Moore to go with Williams and our other picks but I can see the strategy they took and understand why they did.

I understand it as well. From a financial perspective, it was a necessary evil. And, I've gone on record numerous times to say that I'd rather pay the piper now and deal with the pain of cap hell for one year if it means permanently alleviating that burden for future years. A draft like this make the transition more bearable. It's not a perfect situation, but if these guys pan out, then the transition will have a little less friction. We probably can't/shouldn't ask for more than that if it helps us financially.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it seems that Ratliff is pegged to start at the 3 tech spot, i cant help but wonder how anyone can possibly think that hatcher is a 1 tech. I really dont think hes an ideal fit there. Throughout his entire career people pegged him as a 4-3 defensive end trying to play 3-4 defensive end. I know he has gotten a lot bigger since then, but i still feel like his best positions in this scheme are 3 tech and defensive end. Bryan Broaddus:

Quote:
Bryan: I see Hatcher more as the backup to Ratliff as this three technique.

http://prod.preview.cowboys.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-Mailbag/Mailbag-How-Will-Lissemore-Respond-To-The-New-Scheme/77ea5333-b32a-4c8f-b16d-6fbb7eb0b02a

So who is our 1 tech? Too bad Josh Brent made a big mistake, he would be a beast there.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
textaz03

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Since it seems that Ratliff is pegged to start at the 3 tech spot, i cant help but wonder how anyone can possibly think that hatcher is a 1 tech. I really dont think hes an ideal fit there. Throughout his entire career people pegged him as a 4-3 defensive end trying to play 3-4 defensive end. I know he has gotten a lot bigger since then, but i still feel like his best positions in this scheme are 3 tech and defensive end. Bryan Broaddus:

Quote:

http://prod.preview.cowboys.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-Mailbag/Mailbag-How-Will-Lissemore-Respond-To-The-New-Scheme/77ea5333-b32a-4c8f-b16d-6fbb7eb0b02a

So who is our 1 tech? Too bad Josh Brent made a big mistake, he would be a beast there.
there are 2 guys to watch out for at 1 Tech, Lissemore and Price. I have no doubt that Lissemore can do it, but I have my concerned about Price. If he can finally buy his past behind him and focus, he should be a pretty decent guy there.

Read Broddus' take on Price here

http://m.dallascowboys.com/s/30667/newsDetails?itemPos=5&itemUri=-807327654%2F813121114154111133149754151169

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:

Quote:

That would be tremendous if Hatcher spells Rat. I would feel sorry for the left side opposing teams OL when they have to deal with that Rotation & Ware.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Dboys88-82 wrote:

Quote:

That would be tremendous if Hatcher spells Rat. I would feel sorry for the left side opposing teams OL when they have to deal with that Rotation & Ware.

It would keep both of them fresh. I would hope that both of them would be in on passing downs along with Ware and Spencer though. I like that crawford and hatcher bring the ability to play multiple positions to this defense. Again my main problem with the line is who is our 1 tech? Sadly Rat might be the best option, but hes also our best option at the 3 tech which is a more important position. I think its possible we see lissemore starting at the 1 tech.

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
textaz03

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@clarencehilljr: Talked to Dware at rookie minicamp. Said he has added seven pounds of muscle to play de at 262 without any loss of speed or quickness

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
@clarencehilljr: Talked to Dware at rookie minicamp. Said he has added seven pounds of muscle to play de at 262 without any loss of speed or quickness

Thats no easy task. Typically an already fit and athletic individual can struggle to add 2lbs a month and this is an elite athlete in prime physical condition so his ate of gain could have been even harder to overcome. It takes a very precise regiment and diet to add pure muscle without fat and while maintiaining speed and flexibilty. Props to Ware and his team (Woicik?)

Sig courtesy of mack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: