Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Anyone else concerned about our Defense?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Anyone else concerned about our Defense? Reply with quote

What are your concerns? What can we do to fix these concerns? Should there be concerns?

Projected defense as of right now:

DEFENSIVE LINE

Concerns i have: Age, depth, size, run stopping ability

Age, Spencer 29, ratliff 31, hatcher 30, Ware 30

Depth: this is very concerning as well. Rat is always hurt, hatcher seems to miss a few games a season, Ware has shown signs of wearing down. Im even less comfortable about our depth if one of these guys do down.

I think we are going to have troubles stopping the run. We are undersized on the outsides and not very big on the inside either.

DE--Spencer, Albright?
DT--Ratliff, Lissemore, Price,
DT--Hatcher, Crawford, Calloway, Bass
DE--Ware, Wilber?

LINEBACKERS

Concerns i have: if i had to choose something it would be depth, but i think we will be fine.

If healthy we should see some great play from our linebackers. Carter and Lee are beasts. Durant will be solid. In Hollowman and Magee we got some good young depth and Sims filled in nicely last season (better yet he fits the 4-3 better than the 3-4).

SLB-- Durant, Hollowman, Albright?, Wilber?
MLB-- Lee, Magee, seen Albright here???
WLB--Carter, Sims, Magee?

CORNERBACKS

Concerns: none really. I hope that claiborne improves and shows he was worth giving up a second to go and get him last season.

CB--Carr, Claiborne, Scandrick, Webb, Moore

SAFETY

Concerns: Church's achilles, Johnsons hamstring, Wilcox's ability to make the transition from small school, McCray being on the field. How good is Will Allen?

Everyone knows the concerns here.

SS--Church, McCray
FS-- Johnson, Allen, Wilcox

OVERALL

I realize that things could turn out just fine if we remain healthy. There are a lot of big names projected to start, but names dont mean everything. That defensive line concerns me and so do the safeties.

DEPTH, DEPTH, DEPTH.
DLINE AND SAFETY.

Before the draft Defensive line and Safety were huge concerns. Safety was "addressed" i like wilcox, but we dont know if he helps that department yet or not. Defensive line was entirely ignored. We need to get pressure.

WHO CAN HELP US?
Im going to list a lot of names. I realize some are unrealistic, but im listing all options.
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42077/309/2013-nfl-free-agents?pg=3

Defensive ends available in FA:
Quote:
John Abraham
Israel Idonije
Dwight Freeney
Juqua Parker
Kyle Vanden Bosch
Ray Edwards
Jonathan Fanene
Antwan Applewhite
Trevor Scott
Dave Tollefson
Matt Roth
Antwan Odom
Derrick Harvey

Defensive Tackles

Quote:
Richard Seymour
Corey Williams
Sione Pouha
Spencer Johnson
Casey Hampton
Rocky Bernard
Shaun Cody
Sedrick Ellis
Maake Kemoeatu
Ron Edwards
Leger Douzable
Antonio Johnson
Justin Bannan
Trevor Laws
Amobi Okoye
Matt Toeaina
Andre Neblett
Vonnie Holliday
Marcus Thomas
Ty Warren
Albert Haynesworth
Nick Eason

^^Thanks to Kempes for the sig.^^
Desperado82

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly...I'm excited to see what Marinelli can do with Crawford and Wilber, and if Price can turn it around and live up to his potential he may just end up being Ratliff's replacement.

^^^Deadpulse
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Im not concerned. If we are healthy, we will be good. I'm more concerned we are going to give Spencer and extension
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree. We COULD be good if we remain healthy. I just cant imagine if we lose rat and another starter on the defensive line. We are deep enough to make up for one injury, but i think if two of them were to get injured it would be completely devastating for the defense as a whole. This is why i feel like we need to add a player or two yet.

Kiffin and Marinelli want to run a defense like seattles, well Seattle went out and beefed up their already beefed up defensive line. Its obvious that they put a huge emphasis on this and that if we want to be like them we probably should do that as well.

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
No. Im not concerned. If we are healthy, we will be good. I'm more concerned we are going to give Spencer and extension

This.

I know when I play Madden once you reach 30 I kick you off the team, but in real life you can have very productive careers late in life. I am not concerned yet about the DL, but I think we are in a prime position to start acquiring individuals for the future to rotate at first to learn and then take over.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:

This. I'm actually excited. When you have a lot to remember, you play slow. Keep it simple and let your players make plays. I want to see turnovers, the thing that has hamstrung us for years.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm concerned about depth behind Ware. Not yet sure if Wilber's the player I think he is.

I think Crawford will be solid depth at LDE and both tackles. I think Lissemore is also solid depth. I don't think DT is an issue at all.

If Brian Price pays off, DT becomes arguably the strongest position on the team.
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the defense is 100% healthy I think we can at least hold our own and may be quite good. However, every year nearly every team loses a key defensive player. Which player can we least afford to lose?

Sig Courtesy of thesickness89
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
If the defense is 100% healthy I think we can at least hold our own and may be quite good. However, every year nearly every team loses a key defensive player. Which player can we least afford to lose?

Ware. Hands down.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel good about our starting 11 and nickel package. But outside of cornerback, we can ill-afford any injuries. We are going to need to stay healthy.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe what people are failing to realize is that the Dallas Cowboys are switching the way they build their team. Instead of throwing money to 6-7 free agents we will sign young free agents to small contracts and here and there a big splash, but overall we are looking to build through the draft even if it means we do not fill all our needs. This will cause us to see what we have on our team currently and then go from there. Many of the great organizations do this like the Packers and Steelers.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, my biggest concern is the health. The defense was our biggest area last year where we lost so many players to injury.

I'm not worried about Depth or the lack of size.

height/weight/age

Albright - 6-5 / 260 / 25 (he is an unkown right now, LB or DE???)
Bass - 6-5 / 283 / 23
Callaway - 6-5 / 324 / 25
Crawford - 6-4 / 285 / 23
Hatcher - 6-6 / 305 / 30
Hayden - 6-4 / 300 / 27
Igbinosun - 6-4 / 288 / 22
Lissemore - 6-3 / 303 / 25
Price - 6-1 / 303 / 24
Ratliff - 6-4 / 303 / 31
Spencer - 6-3 / 250 / 29
Taylor - 6-5 / 266 / 24
Ware - 6-4 / 254 / 30
Wilber - 6-4 / 246 / 24

Now, all these measurements are from last season, DC.com has not updated their measurements and probably wont until TC or at the minimum the full squad Mini-Camp. So, it's hard to say where everyone currently is.

We do have some size on the line. The thing is with the Tampa-2, we need guys who will be disruptive. I have gone back and looked at the guys that Kiffen has had on his line, and they all where generally smaller at their position compared to a true 4-3 defense, I posted that several months ago.

The one guy that really intrigues me, is Callaway. 6-5 324lbs is a big man for our line. I want to see what Kiffen and Rod can do with him. He may be my pet cat for this Dline.

And one final note, out of all those players, there is only 3 over the age of 30. And the Average is 25.8 years old. That is not bad at all for that squad.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
DKDALfan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the only concern I have is about the depth at DE, But that can be worked out by moving some players to different positions in case of injury (Spencer to LEO/WDE, Crawford to SDE for an example).

I'd say we have pretty good depth at DT (I think Crawford mainly is going to be a DT when in the 4-3)

I obviously fear about another injury season for our LB'ers. I expect to see Church in the LB'er hybrid role often anyway and Spencer as one of the LBer's as well as the Seahawks use one of their LB'ers especially when they do the LEO thing with a big SDE.

My concerns about the depth for DB's have been helped by the draft.

I think the age thing is a non-issue this year. No one of them is at the age where it seriously should start to go down hill.

- I will say, I'd wish that we had Brent on the team.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

textaz03 wrote:
The one guy that really intrigues me, is Callaway. 6-5 324lbs is a big man for our line. I want to see what Kiffen and Rod can do with him. He may be my pet cat for this Dline.

Maybe you are on to something with him. I believe we plucked him away from the Lions a couple years ago after he looked impressive in the preseason. At the time the lions had way too many good DT's that they just couldn't keep him, but many lions fans were sad to see him go. He hasnt shown much while in Dallas, but we were in the 3-4 instead of the 4-3 that he had shown promise in. Maybe the scheme switch can bring out what he showed with the lions.

Really the main concern for me is DE depth, but i do realize that hatcher and crawford might be able to fill in there a bit. Id like to see us sign at least one FA still. If someone out of Price, Calloway, Bass, and wilber can show something i will feel a bit more comfortable.

WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cautiously optimistic.

Would have liked to have seen the team draft DE and DT. Have some concerns about the DL and FS.

Been out of the loop, so not sure what Rat's status is after his DUI. Really hoping Price and Crawford are as good as I believe they will be. And, not sure what to make of the FS spot.

^^Kiltman^^
Ace5 wrote:
OH GOD ITS ALL OVER THE WALLS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: