Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So it continues , Freeney and Abraham to visit!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
titanrick wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
I agree that it will be a good signing, regardless of the money we are looking at paying him. It doubtful that he would completely deteriorate where he wont have at least 5 sacks and if we can get that from him and allow him to spell Wimbley I think that would overall improve the team and the depth. Honestly titanrick what other choice do we have we need to add depth unless we feel like Lavar Edwards is ready play significant minutes, who else do we have? IMO we NEED to sign Abraham, Idonije or Freeney. We do not have the depth necessary, I hope we learned our lesson from last season that not enough depth can cripple a team. My final point to anyone who is not sure about signing one DE is, What would happen if Morgan or Wimbley got hurt? We would not have the personnel to run the 4-3 anymore unless you are willing to give Edwards, Solomon or Dawson significant playing time.

I haven't spent much time looking at our other options at DE. So it's possible he's the best one left that we can afford. But that phrase in RED just makes my head hurt. Football in the salary cap era means that paying someone more than they are worth means you're going to A) lose someone in the near future that is worth much more or B) be unable to sign someone in the near future that is worth much more.

It should be obvious that no one begrudges Abraham whatever money some team thinks he is worth. And the less money Bud Adams has to spend on his wardrobe, the better. But there are consequences to each contract.

I can only hope the slow nature of his signing is due to him coming to grips with the fact that he's not going to be offered what he likely wants in terms of guaranteed money and years.
But my issue is that, if it's a one or two year deal, the money means nothing. Clearly we have to be under the cap this year, and he's simply not going to get big money or huge guarantees. The contract is going to be very team-friendly as has been evidenced by every DE contract this offseason, which is why this would be a low-risk, very high-reward signing.

This is the exact point that I was trying to make that any deal with either of these three defensive ends wont be long term. We currently have almost $7.5M in cap space and thats without removing bad contracts like Amano.

Rapoport via Twitter:
Quote:
I've mentioned #Titans had Freeney on the radar. They'll try to work out a deal with Abraham this week. Doesn't mean end of Freeney interest

This is interesting does that mean he thinks we may sign both? That would be very interesting. That would be really trying to improve depth and honestly I like it.

Props to Kempes ^
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167328/article/john-abraham-titans-could-reach-deal-by-weeks-end
Quote:

Signing Abraham would "not necessarily" mean the end of the Titans' interest in Dwight Freeney, one of the sources tells Rapoport.

Just can't imagine that would be true.

Why not? This entire offseason has been about improving this team all around and depth is one of the issues. If there is little interest in Freeney and we can offer him a small deal to prove himself, why not? A rotation of Wimbley, Morgan, Abraham, Freeney and Edwards sounds awesome to me.

Props to Kempes ^
therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be pretty sick....

Just remember years ago...

If you have a sick pass rush it could make things pretty interesting... Especially with two 4.4 Linebackers....

Shocked Shocked
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“@terrymc13: Another source says nothing imminent between #Titans and Abraham. So draw your own conclusions on if/when deal might get done.”

titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167328/article/john-abraham-titans-could-reach-deal-by-weeks-end
Quote:

Signing Abraham would "not necessarily" mean the end of the Titans' interest in Dwight Freeney, one of the sources tells Rapoport.

Why not? This entire offseason has been about improving this team all around and depth is one of the issues. If there is little interest in Freeney and we can offer him a small deal to prove himself, why not? A rotation of Wimbley, Morgan, Abraham, Freeney and Edwards sounds awesome to me.
I just don't see the need. Derrick Morgan was one of, if not our best, defensive player last year and I'd like him on the field for more than half the snaps. John Abraham still has it in him to play 3/4 of the snap as does Wimbley. There's just no reason to add Freeney and risk frustrating all of our ends with a lack of snaps.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titans0021 wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:
titans0021 wrote:
Quote:

I just don't see the need. Derrick Morgan was one of, if not our best, defensive player last year and I'd like him on the field for more than half the snaps. John Abraham still has it in him to play 3/4 of the snap as does Wimbley. There's just no reason to add Freeney and risk frustrating all of our ends with a lack of snaps.

Keeping players fresh is always good and if we are winning games do you really think the d-ends will care about the number of snaps they get per game? I would rather have too much than too little, I mean look at our o-line last season. And look how we upgraded it this offseason, two stars and tons of good depth.

Props to Kempes ^
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see the need for him. Plus, I simply don't like Freeney nearly as much as Abraham. He's not an upgrade over Morgan and I'm not sure he's even an upgrade on Wimbley as a pass-rusher (in fact, I don't think he is). I love depth as much as the next guy, but three defensive ends that are all competent starters is plenty, plus I'd like to leave at least a few reps for Edwards.

A DL rotation of Morgan, Casey, Hill, Martin, Klug, Wimbley, Abraham, Edwards is a significant upgrade over last year and I just don't really see Freeney as a guy that would fit in there. He's a pure pass-rusher at this stage of his career and we'd already have two ends that fit that billing.

2014 Adopt-a-Titans
1. Justin Hunter, WR - 12 receptions, 237 yards, 1 touchdown
2. Brian Schwenke, C.
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any downside to signing Abraham. The only common concern I keep hearing is about his age. Frankly, I don't care if the guy was in his late 40s, if he can still bring it, then we could definitely use his kind of production in our pass rush. What I find intriguing about Abraham is his production has been very consistent over the last several years. As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't necessarily have to wrack up the actual sack count. He just needs to be disruptive and rattle the QB and bust up the play. There's been nothing said to make me believe that he can't still bring the noise and get it done. So if the price is right and we can pull the trigger, then I say aim and fire.
TitanLegend

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Titans are in discussions about signing free agent John Abraham in a move that could be finalized as soon as this week.
Abraham is coming off a ten-sack, six-forced fumble season while grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 5 overall 4-3 defensive end. The Titans are in all-out win-now mode, hitting free agency hard and trading away a future third-round pick for the six-spot jump in the draft's second round that landed them Justin Hunter. Abraham would fit that criteria because he is 35 years old. May 6 - 2:59 PM

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Yes please.
Niznag74

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want us to get Abraham, that would really help us out. As for bringing in Freeney even if we sign Abraham, I wouldn't mind that. It all depends on how the unit works together and if they get the job done. If we can bring in both of them and add them to the rotation that would be nice. If they both understand the role they have at this stage in their career I think it wont be a problem of who is getting what number of snaps. Morgan and Wimbley would be the starters with Abraham and Freeney being the depth to come in and keep everyone fresh. They would be great in at 3rd and long to pin back their ears and get the QB.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niznag74 wrote:
I really want us to get Abraham, that would really help us out. As for bringing in Freeney even if we sign Abraham, I wouldn't mind that. It all depends on how the unit works together and if they get the job done. If we can bring in both of them and add them to the rotation that would be nice. If they both understand the role they have at this stage in their career I think it wont be a problem of who is getting what number of snaps. Morgan and Wimbley would be the starters with Abraham and Freeney being the depth to come in and keep everyone fresh. They would be great in at 3rd and long to pin back their ears and get the QB.

Amen, I would much rather have the depth if there is an injury or anything like that. That is why I have no problem with signing Abraham and Freeney, I would rather have Idonije than Freeney. But we all are writing Freeney off and he is still not over the hill. At age 33 in a system that he did not fit in he had 5 sacks last season, thats not too shabby if it is on a cheaper deal.

Props to Kempes ^
coleman51

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have two defensive end starters, Wimbley and Morgan.

But that doesn't mean you can't have 4 pass rushers on the field (or just 3 for that matter). They could have 3 of them on the field with Klug or Casey. Both excel at pass rushing.

If they are signed, they'll find a way to get them on the field. But as someone said earlier, having FRESH defenders of a quality level is important. We all know we were on the field defensively too much last season.

I too would prefer the combination of Abraham and Idonije, because I think Idonije is better against the run. He doesn't necessarily have the pash rush moves of Freeney, but just seems like a better fit.

Quote:
@jwyattsports 1h
#Titans safety Bernard Pollard on #Chiefs: “I’m mad at the fact they’ve decided to come here and play football in our stadium."

RIP Stylish313
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a twist if we sign both of them.

I wonder if these big names we are adding to the roster could help get more press coverage.

2014 Adopt-A-Titan 7 Zach Mettenberger
Dionysus

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
Niznag74 wrote:

Amen, I would much rather have the depth if there is an injury or anything like that. That is why I have no problem with signing Abraham and Freeney, I would rather have Idonije than Freeney. But we all are writing Freeney off and he is still not over the hill. At age 33 in a system that he did not fit in he had 5 sacks last season, thats not too shabby if it is on a cheaper deal.

I'm with all of this. What this is showing me is, whether they're able to get any of these guys or not, Munchak and Co. are serious about winning right now. If we're only able to get one, then I want Abraham first and foremost. If we're able to get Freeney as well, then let's do the damn thing. Abraham is 35 and Freeney (33) coming off a down year in a system that didn't favor him, and people want to believe that they're finished. If they were trying to be permanent starters, there might be some legitimate concern to that notion. But as rotation players, they should fit with us perfectly. I'm sure they're gonna have plenty of fire in their guts to show everybody that they can still bring it.
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coleman51 wrote:
We do have two defensive end starters, Wimbley and Morgan.

But that doesn't mean you can't have 4 pass rushers on the field (or just 3 for that matter). They could have 3 of them on the field with Klug or Casey. Both excel at pass rushing.

If they are signed, they'll find a way to get them on the field. But as someone said earlier, having FRESH defenders of a quality level is important. We all know we were on the field defensively too much last season.

I too would prefer the combination of Abraham and Idonije, because I think Idonije is better against the run. He doesn't necessarily have the pash rush moves of Freeney, but just seems like a better fit.

I wonder if the reason that we have not signed Idonije is that he is looking for a multi-year deal. He had a decent season and is only 32. While Abraham is older and Freeney is coming off a bad season so they will likely have to settle for a 1 year deal. While I would have no issue offering Idonije a 2 or even a 3 year deal as our 3rd defensive end, I think Webster is worried about offering vets multi-year deals since if this team does not fair well there will be a new coaching staff come next year. Hence why we are targeting Abraham and Freeney.

Props to Kempes ^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: