Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So it continues , Freeney and Abraham to visit!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanTuff

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-am/0ap2000000167184/Why-can-t-John-Abraham-get-a-job

2014 Adopt-A-Titan 7 Zach Mettenberger
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
@AdamSchefter 1m

Titans are discussing the possibility of signing former Falcons DE John Abraham to a deal that could be done this week.

Pray

Get it done Ruston.
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehh... I'm still very skeptical. Ok, he had 10 sacks last year. Dude is 35 years old! Are we expecting 10 more sacks this year? How much is he going to accept and how many years? This team is not close enough to a title that we should be tying up future cap space on squeezing the last bit of production from a 35 year old DE.

I'll withhold judgment until I see the deal but I really think we'll be looking back at this a year from now and regretting the signing.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
Ehh... I'm still very skeptical. Ok, he had 10 sacks last year. Dude is 35 years old! Are we expecting 10 more sacks this year? How much is he going to accept and how many years? This team is not close enough to a title that we should be tying up future cap space on squeezing the last bit of production from a 35 year old DE.

I'll withhold judgment until I see the deal but I really think we'll be looking back at this a year from now and regretting the signing.

I don't care how old the guy is if he can still produce.

35 tackles, 10 sacks, 7 passes defended, and 6 fumbles last year.

I want him. We cut Hawk already and I'm sure Amano and at least 1 more WR will be shown the door soon. We will have the cap space to sign him.
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:

Caution: Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future returns.

Before I got married I had six theories about bringing up children; now I have six children and no theories. - John Wilmot
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:

It's probably a one or two year deal, in which case, there's very little risk. We desperately need veterans on this defense that wore down easily last year and had a complete lack of leadership. Plus it doesn't hurt that PFF (which I use as a reference very hesitantly Laughing ) had him ranked as the 6th best pass-rushing DE and fifth best DE in football overall last year.

But my biggest thing here is that it's not like the 10 sack season was some sort of fluke. It didn't come out of nowhere, he was essentially the lone pass-rushing threat on Atlanta (again), and still had plenty of success getting to the quarterback. I mean, his worst year over the last three seasons was 2011, where he still had three more sacks than anyone else on the roster.

He's almost certainly going to get money similar to Osi, who signed a 2 year, $8.5 million. I just don't think that's a big enough commitment to actually look back and regret the move, even if he was to completely flop.
UTMoc10

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
UTMoc10 wrote:

If it was one year of good production I'd agree with you but look at the past three years. 32.5 sacks, 110 tackles, 13 passes defended and 12 forced fumbles.

As titans0021 said he was essentially the only pass rushing threat for Atlanta last season and still put up really good numbers. I think Morgan and Abraham would make a fantastic duo with Wimbley getting more rest so his speed moves are more effective.

Not to mention the potential of having guys like Ayers, Brown and Gooden blitzing. Could be a MUCH improved defense over last season.
Kendall Wright - 25 catches 223 yards, 3TD
Damian Stafford - 3 tackles
Iceman88

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it will be a good signing, regardless of the money we are looking at paying him. It doubtful that he would completely deteriorate where he wont have at least 5 sacks and if we can get that from him and allow him to spell Wimbley I think that would overall improve the team and the depth. Honestly titanrick what other choice do we have we need to add depth unless we feel like Lavar Edwards is ready play significant minutes, who else do we have? IMO we NEED to sign Abraham, Idonije or Freeney. We do not have the depth necessary, I hope we learned our lesson from last season that not enough depth can cripple a team. My final point to anyone who is not sure about signing one DE is, What would happen if Morgan or Wimbley got hurt? We would not have the personnel to run the 4-3 anymore unless you are willing to give Edwards, Solomon or Dawson significant playing time.

Props to Kempes ^
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
If it was one year of good production I'd agree with you but look at the past three years. 32.5 sacks, 110 tackles, 13 passes defended and 12 forced fumbles.

I remain unconvinced. Smile Comparing his numbers as a 32 yr old to what we hope we can get from a 35-36 yr old - with 3-4 more NFL seasons of hits under his belt - is a recipe for disappointment. The guy's not a machine - he's going to begin losing it at some point. I'd rather not be the team paying him as he slowly realizes it's time to hang 'em up. It will be exciting to see what he can do if we sign him, but this feels like a mistake in the making to me, assuming we're going to give him somewhere in the neighborhood of 2 yrs - $8M.

therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTMoc10 wrote:
titanrick wrote:
UTMoc10 wrote:

As titans0021 said he was essentially the only pass rushing threat for Atlanta last season and still put up really good numbers. I think Morgan and Abraham would make a fantastic duo with Wimbley getting more rest so his speed moves are more effective.

Not to mention the potential of having guys like Ayers, Brown and Gooden blitzing. Could be a MUCH improved defense over last season.

Abraham would not start....

He would be the one getting the rest and will be the situational pass rusher.
therealdeal

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
UTMoc10 wrote:

But what else is there to go on? We can't go statistically off of what other DE's have done in the past because that's not necessarily indicative of what Abraham's future may be.

I think it's cool.. As long as it's not a blockbuster signing..

I say, why not..
titanrick

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceman88 wrote:
I agree that it will be a good signing, regardless of the money we are looking at paying him. It doubtful that he would completely deteriorate where he wont have at least 5 sacks and if we can get that from him and allow him to spell Wimbley I think that would overall improve the team and the depth. Honestly titanrick what other choice do we have we need to add depth unless we feel like Lavar Edwards is ready play significant minutes, who else do we have? IMO we NEED to sign Abraham, Idonije or Freeney. We do not have the depth necessary, I hope we learned our lesson from last season that not enough depth can cripple a team. My final point to anyone who is not sure about signing one DE is, What would happen if Morgan or Wimbley got hurt? We would not have the personnel to run the 4-3 anymore unless you are willing to give Edwards, Solomon or Dawson significant playing time.

I haven't spent much time looking at our other options at DE. So it's possible he's the best one left that we can afford. But that phrase in RED just makes my head hurt. Football in the salary cap era means that paying someone more than they are worth means you're going to A) lose someone in the near future that is worth much more or B) be unable to sign someone in the near future that is worth much more.

It should be obvious that no one begrudges Abraham whatever money some team thinks he is worth. And the less money Bud Adams has to spend on his wardrobe, the better. But there are consequences to each contract.

I can only hope the slow nature of his signing is due to him coming to grips with the fact that he's not going to be offered what he likely wants in terms of guaranteed money and years.

ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the downside in signing Abraham. He's the best pass-rusher available on the market and still is capable of getting to the QB. He'll likely rotate in alot with Wimbley which is great for both. Lets us bring the young guys in Solomon and Edwards along slowly. 1 year deal is ideal in my opinion.

Driver of the Brad Kaaya Hype Train
Adopt-A-Titan:
Bishop Sankey
DaQuan Jones
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

titanrick wrote:
Iceman88 wrote:

I haven't spent much time looking at our other options at DE. So it's possible he's the best one left that we can afford. But that phrase in RED just makes my head hurt. Football in the salary cap era means that paying someone more than they are worth means you're going to A) lose someone in the near future that is worth much more or B) be unable to sign someone in the near future that is worth much more.

It should be obvious that no one begrudges Abraham whatever money some team thinks he is worth. And the less money Bud Adams has to spend on his wardrobe, the better. But there are consequences to each contract.

I can only hope the slow nature of his signing is due to him coming to grips with the fact that he's not going to be offered what he likely wants in terms of guaranteed money and years.
But my issue is that, if it's a one or two year deal, the money means nothing. Clearly we have to be under the cap this year, and he's simply not going to get big money or huge guarantees. The contract is going to be very team-friendly as has been evidenced by every DE contract this offseason, which is why this would be a low-risk, very high-reward signing.
titans0021

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167328/article/john-abraham-titans-could-reach-deal-by-weeks-end
Quote:

Signing Abraham would "not necessarily" mean the end of the Titans' interest in Dwight Freeney, one of the sources tells Rapoport.

Just can't imagine that would be true.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tennessee Titans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: