Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June 1st-what to do with the money?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I don't want any old veteran players back, honestly. Tired of the hinderance when it comes to them and younger players. Move on let those other players go and stop stunting the growth of younger players.

I'd say unless completely necessary don't sign anyone new. Just re-sign/extend some players and move on.
I agree with this. That being said, if they bring back anyone it would be Starks and Hampton, but I only believe that will happen if the young OTs and young NT's don't look good this training camp and preseason.

On June 1st or before training camp, I don't expect the steelers to sign anyone.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I don't want any old veteran players back, honestly. Tired of the hinderance when it comes to them and younger players. Move on let those other players go and stop stunting the growth of younger players.

I'd say unless completely necessary don't sign anyone new. Just re-sign/extend some players and move on.

I actually do agree with you. I'd also like to see Brett Keisel retire next season. The time for Cam Heyward to be allowed to move into the starting role has long surpassed, he should've been starting LAST YEAR. The one fear I have is that he's not 'winning the job' and if he's not winning the job, what's that say about his future?

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

I actually do agree with you. I'd also like to see Brett Keisel retire next season. The time for Cam Heyward to be allowed to move into the starting role has long surpassed, he should've been starting LAST YEAR. The one fear I have is that he's not 'winning the job' and if he's not winning the job, what's that say about his future?
I'm not too worried. To me what it says is that at this point in time, Keisel is still a better player. Keisel still plays at a high level. Just because Cam isn't beating out Keisel, who's still one of the best 3-4 DEs in the NFL, doesn't mean that Cam couldn't start on most teams in the NFL.

I do believe that this year is likely Keisel's last in the NFL. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point during the season Cam does take over as the starter for Keisel and then Keisel is gone in the offseason and Cam is the starter next year and for the forseeable future.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
I don't want any old veteran players back, honestly. Tired of the hinderance when it comes to them and younger players. Move on let those other players go and stop stunting the growth of younger players..

bingo.

Cam should be allowed to compete for the LDE position. Shame it isn't a real competition
straight ballin

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cksteeler you realize toney Clemons plays for the jags right? Haha
mosteelers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
I don't want any old veteran players back, honestly. Tired of the hinderance when it comes to them and younger players. Move on let those other players go and stop stunting the growth of younger players..

bingo.

Cam should be allowed to compete for the LDE position. Shame it isn't a real competition

I don't get any of this kind of thinking. For one, maybe the Steeler coaches see the young players as not being capable so they have to sign vets, aka Starks because he is at least competent, and the Steelers try to have a competitive team. Signing a vet should bring competition to the spot. Make people compete. Now, I am not for bringing in guys for big contracts, but competition contracts for one year are okay.

The other thing is, and I may be wrong on this, but maybe, just maybe, there is an open competition at the DE spots and Hood is just better than Heyward. I don't think the coaches really try to put a guy in a spot that is worse. Maybe the designate Hood as solely a LDE and Heyward as a RDEl, but I have not heard any of that.

Sig courtesy of miafins23 Thanks
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

bingo.

I don't get any of this kind of thinking. For one, maybe the Steeler coaches see the young players as not being capable so they have to sign vets, aka Starks because he is at least competent, and the Steelers try to have a competitive team. Signing a vet should bring competition to the spot. Make people compete. Now, I am not for bringing in guys for big contracts, but competition contracts for one year are okay.

The other thing is, and I may be wrong on this, but maybe, just maybe, there is an open competition at the DE spots and Hood is just better than Heyward. I don't think the coaches really try to put a guy in a spot that is worse. Maybe the designate Hood as solely a LDE and Heyward as a RDEl, but I have not heard any of that.

If the bolded is true then someone needs to lose their job because they're doing a poor job of drafting. However the evidence of so many young starters would suggest that statement is completely bogus.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
mosteelers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my verb tense was wrong or implication. I meant that IF that sign a vet at a spot the coaches don't see a young guy as capable. That doesn't mean somebody should get fired or the statement is bogus. The Stelers want to have a competitive team and fans want one too. Last year they had to sign Starks.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
Maybe my verb tense was wrong or implication. I meant that IF that sign a vet at a spot the coaches don't see a young guy as capable. That doesn't mean somebody should get fired or the statement is bogus. The Stelers want to have a competitive team and fans want one too. Last year they had to sign Starks.

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't draft guys you don't think are capable. You've gotta initially think they're capable in order to draft them in the first place, or at least you should. If you're drafting guys that you don't think are capable, there's a problem.

If by capable you mean 'ready', maybe we need to improve our development staff, although that's why some of the position coaches were replaced this offseason i'm sure.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
mosteelers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
mosteelers wrote:

What I'm saying is, you shouldn't draft guys you don't think are capable. You've gotta initially think they're capable in order to draft them in the first place, or at least you should. If you're drafting guys that you don't think are capable, there's a problem.

If by capable you mean 'ready', maybe we need to improve our development staff, although that's why some of the position coaches were replaced this offseason i'm sure.

I agree. But sometimes it takes a little longer for some guys to figure it out, and I don't want them to suck during games trying to figure it out. I think if they show something the young guys should be in the rotation. But unless there is a salary cap issue make sure the best guy plays most. The Steelers have always been right at the cap number and I appreciate that.

wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with that. The one thing I will say is that it's not every year you get someone like Kelvin Beachum who gets an opportunity sooner than you'd prefer to give it to him and makes you look like a genius because you drafted him in the first place.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

bingo.

If the Steelers thought so highly of any veteran player previously let go they would of resigned them. Starks is always a option because he has been for years. Hampton I'm I believe at this time is a lateral move.

They can't keep older players till there broken or worn down similar to James Harrison. Got find out what they have so they can draft accordingly.

That's one thing I might have once hated but now loved about Cowhers term as coach. Older players didn't stay long before it was the next man up. Not saying it was all Cowher but it happened alot during his tenure. It should happen more often on Tomlins.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mosteelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

bingo.

bingo! There is no conspiracy, the best players play the most snaps.

CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think politics are apart of every team. Colbert gave Simmons a big contract extension at one point, despite almost the entire fanbase hating him. You don't think that had anything to do with him being a first round pick? There has been clear disagreement on Starks in the organization. I think Hood got the job over Heyward because he has been around longer and was a 1st rounder. He may know the defense better so they had some justification, but from a talent stand point and who was better at that particular spot? I can't believe they think Hood beats Heyward at those attributes.

Foote started over Timmons in 2008. Haggans started over Woodley and Harrison for years.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
mosteelers wrote:
kethnaab wrote:
SteelProven wrote:

bingo.

bingo! There is no conspiracy, the best players play the most snaps.

Perhaps, but only after the "starter" gets injured. Overall I think 97 should start over 99 or 96. Instead he sits the bench. Idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: