Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

June 1st-what to do with the money?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: June 1st-what to do with the money? Reply with quote

The team currently has like 400k in cap space left, but as of June 1st they get 5.5 freed up. What do people spend the money on and why?

Most plausible scenarios:
-Sign Bradshaw (market should have dried up here, should be cheap)
-Sign Hampton
-Sign Max Starks (no one ever seems to want him)
-Sign another FA tackle. Winston Justice, Eric Winston, and Tyson Clabo would appear to be the top guys...not necessarily in that order. Maybe they look at Trai Tressex? Is he still active?

You figure the team wants about 2 mil left for the season. That's about 3-4 to spend in June. I would hardly be against adding Starks along with one of the other tackles or Bradshaw.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starks....mainly because I dont trust anyone else to play LT. Hoping Adams steps up but not counting on it.

Clabo I wouldnt mind, only because he is great...but he is purely an RT.

Hampton Id sign, but make him compete. He would have no problem beating Fangupo, but hope that Ta'amu and McLendon could push for the starting job.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Starks, Hampton and perhaps Steve Breston.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be suprised if they signed someone who hasn't worn the Black&Gold before. If I had to lay down some money, I'd say Hampton. I think they are ready to move on with the younger guys on the OL. For better or for worse.

CKSteeler wrote:
And no, truth is not a 'fact.' Which is why they are two different words.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the team is more willing to role with Mcclendon at NT. They also may prefer their DL depth. Who is there on the roster that can play LT if one of the two guys goes down? They would need to shuffle their OL. Starks can play both tackle spots. So, it's not just as a starter he could return.

You could argue they made add a vet RB still with Bradshaw, but Breaston? Brown, Sanderes, Wheaton, Cotchery, Burress and Brown. Plus Gilreath and Clemons and a few other guys. I don't see what Breaston adds. He isn't even an upgrade on Cotch.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I think the team is more willing to role with Mcclendon at NT. They also may prefer their DL depth. Who is there on the roster that can play LT if one of the two guys goes down? They would need to shuffle their OL. Starks can play both tackle spots. So, it's not just as a starter he could return.

You could argue they made add a vet RB still with Bradshaw, but Breaston? Brown, Sanderes, Wheaton, Cotchery, Burress and Brown. Plus Gilreath and Clemons and a few other guys. I don't see what Breaston adds. He isn't even an upgrade on Cotch.

They mentioned Beachum (yes I know) as a swingman. So, Gilbert, Adams and Beachum manning the 2 OT spots. Would like to have Starks. I just doubt it will happen. Time will tell.

CKSteeler wrote:
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Beachum will be used as the swing guy across the line. Guard and RT in a pinch. If they viewed him as a potential LT, I don't think they would be sniffing around Winston Justice. And if they are really viewing him as the potential future at LG, then...
Dracula58

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think we need another OT... Hampton and everyone else we don't...
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it, the coaches WANT/PLAN to start Gilbert/Adams. I don't see them signing Starks as a backup. He may not even want to be a backup. The signing of Starks retards Gilbert's/Adams'/ progress. They're appear ready to move forward and at least see what they have. Signing Starks would contradict that. Even if signing him makes the OL better THIS year. But then again, you never know.

CKSteeler wrote:
3rivers

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ben will have his old LT back if we have 5.5M freed up as was said . McKinnie signed with ravens, not sure what is left for LT these days.

If adams is healthy and given a chance he will be fine. Last year he was injured and new, not the case now. If he stays on the right side, those are guaranteed yards in the running game with next to DD.

Hampton would be welcomed back, but they won't be able to afford it and who cares about stopping the run anymore ?
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how much of that money would be allocated to sign the rookies but I still would like to see a veteran OT signed for depth purposes. Who knows how long Gilbert can stay healthy if at all not to mention if he can handle the job? Starks coming back would be nice to give the team some insurance. I hope it happens somehow. I'm surprised he hasn't signed with a team that needs a stopgap at LT. I don't see Hampton coming back nor do I see that he needs to. I still don't like the idea of McLendon at NT but I rather see what Ta'amu can do instead of bringing back Big Snack.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
Josh C Smith

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont we need to use some of this money on draft picks?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh C Smith wrote:
Dont we need to use some of this money on draft picks?

No. There is a seperate "account" for that.

CKSteeler wrote:
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm torn on Hampton & Starks but of me says they are the first things we should spend money on. But then the age factor comes into the conversation and that's something they wanted to get away from. I think it is very possible both guys are back. Having said that I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up another Offensive Lineman such as Adam Snyder or Winston Justice. Another guy I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up is TE Kevin Boss. He's not a 'super star' but he can create mismatches and be an adequate fill in for Heath while he recovers.

As far as Bradshaw, I think that if we bring him in, it'll result in the release of both Jonathan Dwyer & Isaac Redman potentially, although, if they're going to carry 4 RBs, Redman would likely be the guy to stay so they can keep their 'power game' intact.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want any old veteran players back, honestly. Tired of the hinderance when it comes to them and younger players. Move on let those other players go and stop stunting the growth of younger players.

I'd say unless completely necessary don't sign anyone new. Just re-sign/extend some players and move on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: