Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

duo with the biggest impact in 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

bigger impact
Michael Huff and Elvis Dumervil
84%
 84%  [ 11 ]
Matt Elam and Arthur Brown
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 13

hemm68

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: duo with the biggest impact in 2013 Reply with quote

Slow part of the year. So my question is which duo is gonna have a bigger impact on defense

A. Michael Huff and Elvis Dumervil

Michael Huff career NFL stats.

419 tackles 5.5 sacks 11 Interceptions

Elvis Dumervil career NFL stats

225 tackles 63.5 sacks 1 interception

B. Matt Elam and Arthur Brown.

Matt Elam career college stats

176 tackles 5 sacks 6 interceptions

Arthur Brown career college stats

218 tackles 3 sacks 3 interceptions
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff and Doom. They're veterans. Doom is an ace pass rusher which is more valuable than ILB or S.

Free Ray Rice
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Huff and Doom. They're veterans. Doom is an ace pass rusher which is more valuable than ILB or S.

You're point is valid, I voted (from an outsiders perspective) Elam & Brown, primarily because of Brown, who I think not only brings strong talent to the team, but strong leadership.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

You're point is valid, I voted (from an outsiders perspective) Elam & Brown, primarily because of Brown, who I think not only brings strong talent to the team, but strong leadership.

To piggy back off of the leadership aspect, did anyone read the article on BR.com about our picks? Four of our picks were team captains in college (Elam, Brown, Lewis-Moore and Simon) which appears to have been a focus in this draft.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Refuel-With-Young-Leaders/44868576-62cb-4c5b-a5de-9909a07a49a0

Maybe it happens all the time, I don't know -- but it's pretty cool to see the scouting really go beyond just their play on the field -- the Ravens lost some leaders and the heir to the throne, Sizzle, is up there in age too. Now we just got a bunch of good football players who all have leadership experience and personalities to hopefully mold and have them take over the torch when Sizzle is gone.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are talking about this season, then I see Huff and Doom making the bigger impact more from the point of view that Doom is a pass rusher that will provide less time for opposition QBs to sit in the pocket and pick apart the secondary and give ball hawks like Huff and Webb chances for interceptions.

If we are talking about long term, then I see Elam and Brown making the bigger impact. It might be 2,3,4 years down the line but I expect Elam and Brown to be the next leaders on D. I don't think anyone can ever be another Ray Lewis or Ed Reed but these 2 guys are cut from the same cloth and I can't wait to see them develop. It's going to be fun to watch them flying around the field like Ray and Ed in their primes.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this is easily Arthur Brown and Matt Elam. I understand that Doom and Huff are veterans and everything, but they're new to the defense as well.

And when I look at it head to head, it becomes easy.

Matt Elam vs. Michael Huff... Huff is going to be a nice assignment guy to do his job, but not many players make as many splash plays as Elam... if there is a rookie safety with the best chance at winning DROY, then it's probably Elam. I'm serious, just look at his college career totals compared to all the other safeties... and dude has more splash stats than nearly all of them (INTs, FF, TFL, Sks) while having started one less season. Elam may not always play at his best, but when he does, he can be just a downright dominant playmaker. So you've got Huff, a guy who has never really been known as a playmaker vs an uber playmaker. I'm sure there will be some NFL growing pains for Elam, but even with that, his defensive impact should be felt much more than his counterparts IMO.

Arthur Brown vs. Elvis Dumervil... Now I understand the value of a pass rush in the NFL, I do. But talk about value. Dumervil is going to be in a rotation with Upshaw. He's probably only going to see maybe... 55-60% of the snaps on the outside. And while he has a pass rushing talent and that will be huge... I still say no dice. Though I think this comparison will be extremely close. All in all, we're probably going to be talking Doom finishing with around 43 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 4 FFs... those would be some great numbers to have, especially if Suggs is back to his former self.

But when I see Luke Kuechly, Bobby Wagner, and Lavonte David and the kinds of impacts their presence had on the play of their defenses... and I see Arthur Brown, IMO the best inside linebacker in this class, a guy that I compare to Lavonte David but just a decent bit more athletic... and there's no way I can vote against his impact. Here we're talking about a player that's going to play something close to 100% of the defensive snaps, a guy that's most likely going to wear the "defensive 'QB' helmet", and a guy going to be asked to lead others into place. There might not be a position that translates faster in terms of collegiate impact to professional impact than that of inside linebacker. Running backs usually translate quickly as well, but it usually takes their second season before they really hit the ground running, ILB talents are usually hitting their stride by the midpoint of their rookie season. Brown is instinctive, an athlete, and is known for his preparation. I can't see him not being one of those guys that translates his ILB impact to the pro game fast like the aforementioned guys.

So what do we have? With Brown I think we see a guy who finds his groove and then starts to take over. I see him going for something like 140 tackles, 7 STFs, 7 PDs, 2 sacks, 2 INTs, 1 FF. And what the stats probably won't show, buy will be impactful in watching the games is Brown's athleticism in covering RBs and TEs. So while sacks may be king (so to speak), I think Brown will edge Doom out in defensive impact.
-----------------------
So Elam should have a nice edge on Huff in defensive impact and Brown has what should be a slight edge over Doom, so I think that's a definite win for their tandem over the other.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: