Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sanchez, Geno, Garrard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikejets22

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
Wow - a lot of Sanchez hate going on. I get why though but still a bit harsh and dare I say emotional response to last year's performance.

Let's be honest about last year, no doubt Mark was one of his worst enemies last year but it is also no doubt the deck was very much stacked against him. Let's examine:

1. Sporano - never thought I would say this, but this guy was a worse game caller then Schotty. On top of it, it looked as though the offense was not even prepared some weeks.

2. Tebow - being nice .. just a silly move. Did Mark deal with it well, no of course not, but this was just a bad bad move to start with.

3. I have to throw to who? Basically did not have Keller or Holmes all year. At times in the season we had guys named White, Hill (not Stephen),& Gates as our options on the field. Not to knock Kerley, as I liked the guy at TCU and like him here, but he is not a number one in the NFL - he WAS our no. 1 last year. Cumberland was our second leading receiver last year with ... wait for it .... 29 receptions and 359 yds.

4. Lack of Playmakers - see above for the WR part of this - just think none and mean none of our receivers could separate. I have a great view from my seats in the 2nd level ... I still can not believe how it seemed DBs and LBs knew our patterns. But we made up for it because we had a RB that was a threat to take it to the house on every touch ... LOL ... you get the point, while Greene ran for over a 1K he certainly was not a back that opposing D coordinators feared.

So again, not saying Mark did himself any favors last year but to me he gets a reprieve and should be here to compete. Not to be given the job but let's see if he can win it.

Here is what I expect:

As others have stated, this is really a three horse race among Geno, Mark and Garrard. I think McElroy will only figure in if Mark is cut (I really don't expect this to happen though) or if Garrard gets hurt (very likely). And McElroy is really only competing for a roster spot.

Here is my crystal ball and crazy prediction:

I expect Sancheze to win the job out of camp
I expect Garrard to get injured early in camp but make the team as a backup or 3rd string guy who is a calming voice for Mark and mentor for Geno
I expect Geno to make some early mistakes but start to play better as the preseason progresses

Then (and I know some of you may say I am crazy for this), I see Sanchez actually playing well but Geno will actually show a ton of potential in practice. So, because Sanchez proves to be a starter we trade him for a 2nd round pick next year to Arizona. Geno takes over as his play in practice (and perhaps some games if we are out of the hunt) and his upside is just greater. Take it to the bank and remember who said it first ... Laughing

I don't think that's totally outlandish at all.

I still maintain that had Sanchez been developed by any sort of competent offensive mind he would have been a solid quarterback. Is it too late for him in NY? Well, it would be a hard sell even if Sanchez plays well there will be those calling for Geno simply because of hatred, emotions, etc.

At this point, I don't think Sanchez can or will be the QB he
could have been if handled properly, so if we end up getting a 2nd round pick for him next year and Geno is handled better than Sanchez was, that is a win-win-win.

Sanchez gets a fresh start, Jets get a great pick, Geno gets a shot to be developed by a strong offensive mind and a team built around him.

A lot of ifs, though. But I see no reason why Sanchez doesn't at least return to "game manager" form this year with a strong defense and improved oline and run game.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch that interview where Sanchez says he is a franchise QB??? Can he be done with the girls headband??? seriously your a football player at least try and look like one. You're hair isn't even long enough to get in your eyes.... Can we be done with this guy in general.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
Did anyone watch that interview where Sanchez says he is a franchise QB??? Can he be done with the girls headband??? seriously your a football player at least try and look like one. You're hair isn't even long enough to get in your eyes.... Can we be done with this guy in general.

lol Well maybe we should hope for a Eli & Flacco situation. They said they were elite and they both won a superbowl that same year. Sanchez said he is a franchise QB, maybe he will start playing like one.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
Quote:
Jets . Heat . Georgia State FB . Syracuse BB . ATL MLS .
Raoul Duke

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetsFan15 wrote:
Wow - a lot of Sanchez hate going on. I get why though but still a bit harsh and dare I say emotional response to last year's performance.

Let's be honest about last year, no doubt Mark was one of his worst enemies last year but it is also no doubt the deck was very much stacked against him. Let's examine:

1. Sporano - never thought I would say this, but this guy was a worse game caller then Schotty. On top of it, it looked as though the offense was not even prepared some weeks.

2. Tebow - being nice .. just a silly move. Did Mark deal with it well, no of course not, but this was just a bad bad move to start with.

3. I have to throw to who? Basically did not have Keller or Holmes all year. At times in the season we had guys named White, Hill (not Stephen),& Gates as our options on the field. Not to knock Kerley, as I liked the guy at TCU and like him here, but he is not a number one in the NFL - he WAS our no. 1 last year. Cumberland was our second leading receiver last year with ... wait for it .... 29 receptions and 359 yds.

4. Lack of Playmakers - see above for the WR part of this - just think none and mean none of our receivers could separate. I have a great view from my seats in the 2nd level ... I still can not believe how it seemed DBs and LBs knew our patterns. But we made up for it because we had a RB that was a threat to take it to the house on every touch ... LOL ... you get the point, while Greene ran for over a 1K he certainly was not a back that opposing D coordinators feared.

So again, not saying Mark did himself any favors last year but to me he gets a reprieve and should be here to compete. Not to be given the job but let's see if he can win it.

While I agree that the Jets didn't necessarily make it easy for him, the next time Sanchez shows awareness in the pocket, reads a blitz properly, calls a protection at the line or audibles and exploits a weakness he reads in a defense it will be the first time.

Sanchez has the potential to be good enough if he has a great defense, a strong running game and very good players at the offensive skill positions. But he doesn't make anyone around him better.

NFL players always talk about how suddenly the game slows down for them. He's going on his 5th season. If it doesn't slow down for him now, I don't think it ever will.

- Cliff Burton
teamorange

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
If Mark Sanchez starts another game for this franchise I will have no faith in anybody involved or responsible. Mark is horrible and is as mentally weak as a little boy. Move on from this fraud.
ekill you crack me up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL im obviously being a little harsh, but every time I hear this dude talk I just want to punch him in his face. "I expect to be starting" Really Mark? Is it because you've been handed the job since day one and never had to beat anyone out? Obviously I don't expect him to say "I expect to be cut" but at least be objective and go out and compete for once.

And as far as rushing Geno...QBs start from day one. This isn't a pitching prospect were bringing up fro Low-A ball and letting him get his t!ts lit and destroying his confidence. Starting Geno week one would be the beginning of his growth process in a year were not supposed to win. Thats just my take. I wouldn't mind Garard to start at first though. Only reason I say start him, is because he was a 2nd round pick and theres no big contract attached to him, see what hes got right away and maybe we dont have to take a QB next year. Im personally praying Geno is the answer and we can FINALLY draft a legit WR or two.

QB is largely a confidence position. We shouldn't play him unless he is ready. If he starts to suck the NY media is never gonna give up on call him a fraud. That really weighs on a player.

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

ekill08x

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
If Mark Sanchez starts another game for this franchise I will have no faith in anybody involved or responsible. Mark is horrible and is as mentally weak as a little boy. Move on from this fraud.
ekill you crack me up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL im obviously being a little harsh, but every time I hear this dude talk I just want to punch him in his face. "I expect to be starting" Really Mark? Is it because you've been handed the job since day one and never had to beat anyone out? Obviously I don't expect him to say "I expect to be cut" but at least be objective and go out and compete for once.

And as far as rushing Geno...QBs start from day one. This isn't a pitching prospect were bringing up fro Low-A ball and letting him get his t!ts lit and destroying his confidence. Starting Geno week one would be the beginning of his growth process in a year were not supposed to win. Thats just my take. I wouldn't mind Garard to start at first though. Only reason I say start him, is because he was a 2nd round pick and theres no big contract attached to him, see what hes got right away and maybe we dont have to take a QB next year. Im personally praying Geno is the answer and we can FINALLY draft a legit WR or two.

QB is largely a confidence position. We shouldn't play him unless he is ready. If he starts to suck the NY media is never gonna give up on call him a fraud. That really weighs on a player.

Its true. Well see how it plays out. I really just dont ever want to see Sanchez start another game for this team.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
jamax99

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's my take. .,geno can win games with average help around him, he has a gun , and can run . He can take over a game . I think lol . Sanchez needs p,aymakers around him to be good, But with that said I hope Sanchez starts and looks great for the first few games. . Then we could use him as trade bait. Possibly to Jacksonville. . For a secound rounder. .
rampantjet

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't want to post this in the Geno Sith thread because i can't muddle up something that fun with facts.

But I loved this when i saw it on rotoworld, and it shows how moronic the media is and how well they fact check

Quote:
Jets rookie QB Geno Smith went 4-1 as a starter in cold-weather games (40 degrees or below) at West Virginia.
Smith struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse, but otherwise he was an effective cold-weather quarterback, which matters because the Jets play eight home games in the sometimes-chilly Meadowlands, as well as one game in Buffalo and another in Foxboro each year. Smith's stats in cold-weather college games: 90-for-126 (71 percent), 1,215 yards, and a 10:0 TD-to-INT ratio.

GJ media, you really nailed that one. To bad we took Geno. Also GJ Buffalo, taking a guy who played in FL because he would be good in cold weather... and this guy wouldn't be.... NAILED IT.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamax99 wrote:
He's my take. .,geno can win games with average help around him, he has a gun , and can run . He can take over a game . I think lol . Sanchez needs p,aymakers around him to be good, But with that said I hope Sanchez starts and looks great for the first few games. . Then we could use him as trade bait. Possibly to Jacksonville. . For a secound rounder. .

I don't see any scenario where we get more than a 6th or 7th rounder for Sanchez and even then he may not be tradable
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:
Didn't want to post this in the Geno Sith thread because i can't muddle up something that fun with facts.

But I loved this when i saw it on rotoworld, and it shows how moronic the media is and how well they fact check

Quote:
Jets rookie QB Geno Smith went 4-1 as a starter in cold-weather games (40 degrees or below) at West Virginia.
Smith struggled in the Pinstripe Bowl against Syracuse, but otherwise he was an effective cold-weather quarterback, which matters because the Jets play eight home games in the sometimes-chilly Meadowlands, as well as one game in Buffalo and another in Foxboro each year. Smith's stats in cold-weather college games: 90-for-126 (71 percent), 1,215 yards, and a 10:0 TD-to-INT ratio.

GJ media, you really nailed that one. To bad we took Geno. Also GJ Buffalo, taking a guy who played in FL because he would be good in cold weather... and this guy wouldn't be.... NAILED IT.

this means more than people think. The media hates us for everything.
KBS756

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think Garrard will win the job out the gate and will last a couple weeks before obviously getting injured again when Geno will take over.

Geno has all the talent in the world but I do believe he needs a little time to see how its done in the NFL. Without a doubt I expect him playing when we come back from our bye week
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on his statements before the draft, I think Morningwhig had his hopes set on rehabbing Sanchez, at least to a modest level of performance. I don't know if the addition of Smith changes that or not.

On one hand, these coaches won't want to turn the keys over to a rookie without some job security. If Geno looks the part and the owner decides he wants to wipe the slate clean of Sanchez, he might do that and sign Rex to a contract extension, which I'm sure everyone involved would be happy with.

On the other hand, if Smith looks raw, I think the coaches will push to keep Sanchez, and see if they can get anything out of him before going the Garrard route. If they cut Sanchez, and play Garrard for a few games before putting Smith in, and he looks lost, it would probably be curtains for the coaching staff. I think that's the least favorable scenario for everybody.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the more Geno I watch, the more average he looks.

After we drafted him I've been really trying to convince myself otherwise. I just don't know that he would have been so hyped if it weren't for Austin and Bailey. Yes, Geno is quick and fairly accurate with shorts routes and screens and letting his guys tear it up - but aside from that he looks fairly underwhelming. I hope I'm wrong (obviously) but I still think we may have been better suited going in a different direction in the second - safety, TE, WR etc. There were some stellar options still available.

Oh well, it's in the past now and here's to hoping I'm way off on the kid, but I just think he got way overrated/hyped his senior season.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikejets22 wrote:
Man, the more Geno I watch, the more average he looks.

After we drafted him I've been really trying to convince myself otherwise. I just don't know that he would have been so hyped if it weren't for Austin and Bailey. Yes, Geno is quick and fairly accurate with shorts routes and screens and letting his guys tear it up - but aside from that he looks fairly underwhelming. I hope I'm wrong (obviously) but I still think we may have been better suited going in a different direction in the second - safety, TE, WR etc. There were some stellar options still available.

Oh well, it's in the past now and here's to hoping I'm way off on the kid, but I just think he got way overrated/hyped his senior season.

what dont you like

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
teamorange

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rampantjet wrote:

Quote:

What teams did he play in the cold weather?

Care to offer some sort of insight instead of just being obnoxious? Rolling Eyes
I don't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: