Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sanchez, Geno, Garrard
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bergw60

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Sanchez, Geno, Garrard Reply with quote

Just trying to get some feedback on what everyone's thoughts on the "5 Man QB Competition" are. I think everyone in the world can agree that Matt Simms will not win the job, probably not even make the team. McElroy is a little more interesting, because I think he could be a reliable backup in the future. Garrard wont be with us for more than a year or two, but will make the team to either start or mentor Geno. Sanchez has been rumored to be on the out, but said that he thinks he will win the QB competition. And finally, we have Geno, who at this point is the future of the Jets at QB.

What I want to happen...
1) Garrard- start until he gets hurt, or they feel that Geno is ready
2) Geno- sit back and learn from Garrard until he's ready. Garrard might not be Peyton Manning, but he's made a Pro Bowl in 2010 and should be able to teach Geno alot.
3) McElroy- reliable backup who can step in if needed.

**Missing- Sanchez: I think over the pre-season we try and trade him to a team who needs a QB for whatever reason, whether it is injury or whatever and still pay a majority of his salary for this year. If that doesnt work we release him and just eat the money. I really do not want Sanchez around at this point, he brings controversy just by being in the mix. Give Geno the free slate to grow.

What are everyone else's preferred situations?
rickyt31

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to win at this point. I don't care who it's with.

I think we are going into Preseason with Sanchez at #1, Garrad #2, Geno #3 against the Lions. I can see Garrad becoming the starter unless this system will is perfect for Mark.

Quote:
Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it. - Johnny Depp
KBS756

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Garrard starts the season probably for 5-6 games toll he gets hurt
2. Geno takes over for Garrard
3. Sanchez Unless he plays lights out earlier Bench Warmer then cut
4. McElroy ... personally I dont like him get rid of him.
glenearl18

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best case scenario is Sanchez breaking out. That would be sweet.
famousj

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know there is no such thing as a 5-man QB. By training camp, I expect the a 2 man QB competition between Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez had his chance to prove he is started QB in this league. Sanchez flashed some ability but failed to be the franchise QB we are looking for. It is time to give someone else a chance. I think Idzik is trying to trade Mark Sanchez. If Garrard remains healthy through training camp, Mark Sanchez will be traded or cut before Game 1. I dont want Geno Smith starting Game 1 against Revis and the Bucs. If Revis intercepts the rookie, the papers will go crazy with the Revis schooled headlines. I don't want Geno starting against the Brady-led Patriots week 2 either. Too many headlines of Geno -vs- Brady. Geno Smith should start Week 3 at the earliest against Kevin Kolb or E.J. Manuel. Matt Sims and Greg McElroy are non-factors in this QB competition.

Props to Sandwich for Sig

Idzik: SPEND BABY SPEND!!!!
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mark Sanchez starts another game for this franchise I will have no faith in anybody involved or responsible. Mark is horrible and is as mentally weak as a little boy. Move on from this fraud.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
green24

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
If Mark Sanchez starts another game for this franchise I will have no faith in anybody involved or responsible. Mark is horrible and is as mentally weak as a little boy. Move on from this fraud.

I'd rather bite the bullet for a few games with Sanchez than rush Geno out there.
mikemart

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will either go 2 ways. Holmes changes the entire WR core this season and whoever starts from game 1 will have a good season because the WRs aren't running around clueless

OR

All 4 QBs bomb and coaching is blamed. Everyone including Rex is fired. Next draft a WR is taken in round one or a big trade is made. Suddenly Offense plays a lot better

Credit to Jamison

Jets, Yankees, Rangers, Knicks, Syracuse
JMG

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
ekill you crack me up Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

[]_[] Family
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

LOL im obviously being a little harsh, but every time I hear this dude talk I just want to punch him in his face. "I expect to be starting" Really Mark? Is it because you've been handed the job since day one and never had to beat anyone out? Obviously I don't expect him to say "I expect to be cut" but at least be objective and go out and compete for once.

And as far as rushing Geno...QBs start from day one. This isn't a pitching prospect were bringing up fro Low-A ball and letting him get his t!ts lit and destroying his confidence. Starting Geno week one would be the beginning of his growth process in a year were not supposed to win. Thats just my take. I wouldn't mind Garard to start at first though. Only reason I say start him, is because he was a 2nd round pick and theres no big contract attached to him, see what hes got right away and maybe we dont have to take a QB next year. Im personally praying Geno is the answer and we can FINALLY draft a legit WR or two.

JMG

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

LOL im obviously being a little harsh, but every time I hear this dude talk I just want to punch him in his face. "I expect to be starting" Really Mark? Is it because you've been handed the job since day one and never had to beat anyone out? Obviously I don't expect him to say "I expect to be cut" but at least be objective and go out and compete for once.

And as far as rushing Geno...QBs start from day one. This isn't a pitching prospect were bringing up fro Low-A ball and letting him get his t!ts lit and destroying his confidence. Starting Geno week one would be the beginning of his growth process in a year were not supposed to win. Thats just my take. I wouldn't mind Garard to start at first though. Only reason I say start him, is because he was a 2nd round pick and theres no big contract attached to him, see what hes got right away and maybe we dont have to take a QB next year. Im personally praying Geno is the answer and we can FINALLY draft a legit WR or two.
Well we have on of the best slot receivers in the NFL in Jeremy Kerley. The guy you wanted cut after last preseason Razz

But anyway, I really hope Geno is the man that is our franchise QB. I honestly wouldn't even mind all that much if Sanchez is our starter because if he is, he did earn it. I really don't think Rex is going to be biased with anybody at this point because his job is potentially on the line. I just hope Geno doesn't start right off the bat. I'd like to see a Eli/Warner type situation. But hey, if Geno earns the right to start week 1, I can't be mad.

[]_[] Family
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Well we have on of the best slot receivers in the NFL in Jeremy Kerley. The guy you wanted cut after last preseason Razz

But anyway, I really hope Geno is the man that is our franchise QB. I honestly wouldn't even mind all that much if Sanchez is our starter because if he is, he did earn it. I really don't think Rex is going to be biased with anybody at this point because his job is potentially on the line. I just hope Geno doesn't start right off the bat. I'd like to see a Eli/Warner type situation. But hey, if Geno earns the right to start week 1, I can't be mad.

hey we all get it wrong sometimes haha

JMG

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Yeah I feel you man. Sounds like me thinking Mark Sanchez was a future Top 5 QB. Boy was I wrong. Embarassed Embarassed

[]_[] Family
ekill08x

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:
JMG wrote:
ekill08x wrote:

Yeah I feel you man. Sounds like me thinking Mark Sanchez was a future Top 5 QB. Boy was I wrong. Embarassed Embarassed

Lets please both be right about Geno. And well just put those stupidities to rest LOL

JetsFan15

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - a lot of Sanchez hate going on. I get why though but still a bit harsh and dare I say emotional response to last year's performance.

Let's be honest about last year, no doubt Mark was one of his worst enemies last year but it is also no doubt the deck was very much stacked against him. Let's examine:

1. Sporano - never thought I would say this, but this guy was a worse game caller then Schotty. On top of it, it looked as though the offense was not even prepared some weeks.

2. Tebow - being nice .. just a silly move. Did Mark deal with it well, no of course not, but this was just a bad bad move to start with.

3. I have to throw to who? Basically did not have Keller or Holmes all year. At times in the season we had guys named White, Hill (not Stephen),& Gates as our options on the field. Not to knock Kerley, as I liked the guy at TCU and like him here, but he is not a number one in the NFL - he WAS our no. 1 last year. Cumberland was our second leading receiver last year with ... wait for it .... 29 receptions and 359 yds.

4. Lack of Playmakers - see above for the WR part of this - just think none and mean none of our receivers could separate. I have a great view from my seats in the 2nd level ... I still can not believe how it seemed DBs and LBs knew our patterns. But we made up for it because we had a RB that was a threat to take it to the house on every touch ... LOL ... you get the point, while Greene ran for over a 1K he certainly was not a back that opposing D coordinators feared.

So again, not saying Mark did himself any favors last year but to me he gets a reprieve and should be here to compete. Not to be given the job but let's see if he can win it.

Here is what I expect:

As others have stated, this is really a three horse race among Geno, Mark and Garrard. I think McElroy will only figure in if Mark is cut (I really don't expect this to happen though) or if Garrard gets hurt (very likely). And McElroy is really only competing for a roster spot.

Here is my crystal ball and crazy prediction:

I expect Sancheze to win the job out of camp
I expect Garrard to get injured early in camp but make the team as a backup or 3rd string guy who is a calming voice for Mark and mentor for Geno
I expect Geno to make some early mistakes but start to play better as the preseason progresses

Then (and I know some of you may say I am crazy for this), I see Sanchez actually playing well but Geno will actually show a ton of potential in practice. So, because Sanchez proves to be a starter we trade him for a 2nd round pick next year to Arizona. Geno takes over as his play in practice (and perhaps some games if we are out of the hunt) and his upside is just greater. Take it to the bank and remember who said it first ... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: