Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens agree to a 2-year deal with McKinnie
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Ravens agree to a 2-year deal with McKinnie Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-Reach-Two-Year-Agreement-With-Bryant-McKinnie/d2b725b8-913c-4ad3-ae55-eb29eb711905?campaign=social_20130502_7654524

Quote:
The Ravens reached a two-year agreement in principle with Bryant McKinnie Thursday afternoon, securing the left tackle that helped them pull off their Super Bowl run last season.

McKinnie just finished visits with the Miami Dolphins and San Diego Chargers, who reportedly made him an offer. But he and the Ravens kept in contact throughout that time.

Thank goodness!
dcarey20

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Kind of surprised too. Figured we might be past the point of no return given our history and the fact he was visiting other teams.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Love it. Kind of surprised too. Figured we might be past the point of no return given our history and the fact he was visiting other teams.

Rivers must've scared him away with his facial expressions
hemm68

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I'm wrong but my prediction is he doesn't make it to the second year of this contract.
MLBeast 52

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect him to see year 2, but he'll be useful next year. I doubt he got a great offer from anyone, otherwise he would have signed earlier. He's a useful stopgap and one which the team can afford.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Hopefully he wasn't too costly. The only other OL I could see them bringing in now is a veteran center to compete with Gradkowski and Jensen. They're pretty set otherwise.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waaat. As far as getting what he wanted, goes to show again that Ozzie works this stuff better than anyone else.

But I'm skeptical about the move itself. I just don't trust the guy. Would have preferred Starks among FA tackles, but I guess we'll see what happens.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make all of the money performance related, and the Ravens will have a solid LT for as long as they want.

This is a surprise though, because I felt sure that the Chargers would offer him more than the Ravens would be prepared to. Their current Tackles are a couple of air-filled tube dudes.

This gives the Ravens time to either identify a guy on the roster who can develop to play LT, Osemele, Wagner, Gaines, or find a guy in the draft next year.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Waaat. As far as getting what he wanted, goes to show again that Ozzie works this stuff better than anyone else.

But I'm skeptical about the move itself. I just don't trust the guy. Would have preferred Starks among FA tackles, but I guess we'll see what happens.

"Right player, right price."

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3h
Bryant McKinnie's two-year, $7 million contract includes incentive clauses and a signing bonus, per source

That seems a bit on the high side. Factoring in the cap room needed to sign the rookies as well as McKinnie's deal should take up just about all of Baltimore's current available cap space. They'll get more though when Pollard's June 1st designation comes into effect.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3h
Bryant McKinnie's two-year, $7 million contract includes incentive clauses and a signing bonus, per source

That seems a bit on the high side. Factoring in the cap room needed to sign the rookies as well as McKinnie's deal should take up just about all of Baltimore's current available cap space. They'll get more though when Pollard's June 1st designation comes into effect.

I think the plan is to start him this year so to be honest that's on the cheap side for a starting left tackle. Not to mention its a Max 7 million dollar contract so he has to play very well to get the whole seven. Similar to Jacoby's deal last year if he's on the roster year two it means he probably outplayed his contract or at least met the maximum expectations. If that ends up being the case I can live with that
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incentives are probably going to be based on games started. And if he's starting, he's probably playing decently enough. The $7 million number doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm curious to see what the cap numbers look like. The structure means a lot, if it's backloaded without guarantees then basically we're taking him on without any risk, with him only earning the money if he plays well enough to stay on the roster.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not penciling McKinnie in as the starting LT yet. As much as I don't like it Osemele will probably still get a shot there in training camp. Oher's probably in the conversation too. Like I've said all along I can stomach McKinnie being re-signed if it means Osemele is kept at LG.
BaltimoreTerp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McKinnie is the default starter. There's no way they're bringing him back with the thought that they want him to compete for the spot with the guy they preferably want starting at LG next to him.

If McKinnie shows up out of shape or gets injured, then I still think Oher gets the first crack at LT, regardless of what Ozzie may have said pre-draft. I'd be surprised if we see KO at left tackle at all in 2013. Maybe the year after if we don't re-sign Oher, but for the time being he's pretty comfortably entrenched at guard.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's most like that McKinnie is the LT but after what happened last season I'm not ruling anything out. It'll be interesting to see if the hiring of Juan Castillo will have any noticeable effect on the offensive line even though he was hired as the run game coordinator.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: