Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

FF Front Page Draft Grades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillersenat

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: FF Front Page Draft Grades Reply with quote

RD gives his grades of the draft.

Ours:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers: A

Best pick: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia(Round 1). Forget how he tested out. The kid is one of the draftís difference makers, and he will be a force off the edge for Pittsburgh.

Keep an eye on: Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse(Round 4). The Steelers have had issues at the safety position over the years because of durability issues. Thomasí aggressiveness fits the Steeler mold at safety, and he can provide depth at both spots.

Overall: A. The Steelers do a great job of letting the draft come to then, and this is another example. They didnít reach for a wideout at 17 because Mike Wallace left. They took the best available player, and added a difference maker at OLB. The offense got a boost with 2nd round RB LeíVeon Bell and 3rd round WR Markus Wheaton. The fourth round also gave the team two players with upside in Shamarko Thomas and QB Landry Jones.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/afcgrades.html

The only other team with a grade of "A" for the draft- Rams.

CaptainParker wrote:

Bubby outplayed Elway in everything....
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: FF Front Page Draft Grades Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
RD gives his grades of the draft.

Ours:
Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers: A

Best pick: Jarvis Jones, OLB, Georgia(Round 1). Forget how he tested out. The kid is one of the draftís difference makers, and he will be a force off the edge for Pittsburgh.

Keep an eye on: Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse(Round 4). The Steelers have had issues at the safety position over the years because of durability issues. Thomasí aggressiveness fits the Steeler mold at safety, and he can provide depth at both spots.

Overall: A. The Steelers do a great job of letting the draft come to then, and this is another example. They didnít reach for a wideout at 17 because Mike Wallace left. They took the best available player, and added a difference maker at OLB. The offense got a boost with 2nd round RB LeíVeon Bell and 3rd round WR Markus Wheaton. The fourth round also gave the team two players with upside in Shamarko Thomas and QB Landry Jones.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2013/afcgrades.html

The only other team with a grade of "A" for the draft- Rams.

Just depends how you value the players and picks.

I wouldve given it an A+ if not for Bell and Jones. Ive warmed up to the picks since, but I still PERSONALLY wouldve much preferred Arthur Brown in the 2nd and Jesse Williams in the 4th.

I give the draft a B+, so those two preferences are the only thing that divides us.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Baltimore draft. It has a lot of the players that many of us liked.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but it would have been better if we went with Arthur Brown and waited on Bell. If not him; then another RB that could make an impact.

We have a franchise QB, a growing OL, and a system that caters to our young, speed WR's. I like the Bell pick, but why the hell did we go with a RB so soon when our system isn't based around whether or not he's producing?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I love the Baltimore draft. It has a lot of the players that many of us liked.

Brown is the only one I LOVED.

Mellette was the only other guy they got I wouldve liked.

Every other pick of theirs didnt really appeal to me.

Overall, I liked our draft more than theirs.

I actually had Shamarko Thomas ranked higher than Elam. I knew Elam would go sooner, but I had a 3rd round grade on Elam and 2nd-3rd on Thomas.

CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Haley's system is catered to the WR's. It sure wasn't last year. The team wants to run the ball more and do it effectively. If the team wanted one of the top RB's, the way things played out it looks like the 2nd round was the time to do it. Bell was their guy. Hopefully he becomes the workhorse, thee down back they think he is.

I think the team got the players they wanted on the whole. This draft went how I think they planned.

The first two picks both scare me a bit, but I'm still a Jones fan and Bell should be at least a contributor. I'm a huge believe in Thomas and Wheaton. If your first four picks are guys who will play for you, it's a pretty good draft.

Graders are usually too generous. No D's or F's?

I'm not a huge Elam fan, either. We'll see if he becomes the star BAL thinks.
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I actually had Shamarko Thomas ranked higher than Elam. I knew Elam would go sooner, but I had a 3rd round grade on Elam and 2nd-3rd on Thomas.

Really? I felt Elam was the better prospect and would go sooner. I figured early 2nd Elam and late 2nd for Thomas.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Really? I felt Elam was the better prospect and would go sooner. I figured early 2nd Elam and late 2nd for Thomas.

Everyone has their own rankings of players.

Ive never been impressed by Elam.

And if not for his size, Im fairly certain Thomas goes before him.

steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Everyone has their own rankings of players.

Ive never been impressed by Elam.

And if not for his size, Im fairly certain Thomas goes before him.

Definitely agree there. Size was something that was a huge concern to me, for Thomas.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll never understand that. Elam and most of the leagues top safeties are at most an inch or two taller. Thomas is a workout warrior gymrat and built.

My biggest issue with Elam is he has a habit of preening a lot, even when he hasn't done anything special. Add to that that he isn't the fastest guy, and I'm not sold on him being a top flight safety. I don't see a single thing Elam does better than Thomas.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Size may be an issue for Thomas. His excellent vertical is often pointed out when his size is mentioned. His vertical will neutralize his lack of size on deep balls. However, it won't help him on short/intermediate routes. His physicallity/strength may. There wasn't the "perfect" safety in this draft. Considering the deficiencies of all the Safeties in this draft class, you can make an argument that Thomas is the best of the bunch.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I look at Baltimore & Pittsburgh's drafts the same way..

They appear to be 'so good' that they could actually turn out to be horrid busts (I don't think that'll be the case)

I think the entire AFC North in general had good drafts. It's hard for me to look at Cincy & Cleveland however and say "yep they did good" because the moment you start to give them credit, they fall apart. We see it all the time. Maybe that's just my brain being so trained and so used to the fact that those teams are generally in the basement that I'm still unable to come around to the fact they genuinely may be improving for good. I think the AFC North is going to be a hellish division and the non-division opponents we have this year are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft grades depends on the writers rankings of certain players. If the writere views Le'Veon Bell in a higher standard then someone else then the rankings probably will be higher.

Le'Veon Bell along with Landry Jones have skewed somes grades because of spot taken and potential value.

While I will say that I think Landry Jones wasn't a real need pick. I understand that the Steelers want to get a young player to groom. Big Ben isn't getting any younger and his injury history isn't getting shorter.

Le'Veon Bell is a player that I liked alot, but had a tough time believing he'd be around in the 3rd round. The more I watch him play the better I feel about his selection even though I was never down on it to begin with.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Size may be an issue for Thomas. His excellent vertical is often pointed out when his size is mentioned. His vertical will neutralize his lack of size on deep balls. However, it won't help him on short/intermediate routes. His physicallity/strength may. There wasn't the "perfect" safety in this draft. Considering the deficiencies of all the Safeties in this draft class, you can make an argument that Thomas is the best of the bunch.

Troy had some of the same issues and knocks about him. He is taller than Thomas but not by alot, but even coming out, many felt he would struggle in coverage, and at times he did, but Troy's playmaking ability and how dynamic he was more than made up for it. Thomas isnt the caliber of prospect Troy was, but he has alot in common with him coming out.

I think Thomas can be a beast in the box and rushing the passer. And with his instincts and athleticism, I think he will be fine in coverage...but that will never be his strength.

FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that while I didnt like the Bell pick, I am behind the guy 100%. He seems very mature and like a hard worker, and its hard not to support a guy like that. Really hoping he turns me into a believer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: