Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bookending our defensive line
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViKingHopeful wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
Krauser wrote:
Allen is such a great fit for the Vikings, really the face of the franchise right now. I think he'd like to stay if the price is right. Rush DEs have been productive well into their 30s before.

If they can't agree to an extension, what would it cost to franchise him?

Less than his cap hit this year, that's for sure.

I'm probably wrong but I thought you could only franchise a guy coming off his rookie deal, or up to a certain age?

Nope, anyone can be franchised - see Drew Brees
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's just kind of a slap in the face to franchise an elite vet like Brees or JA. They've given so much to their teams, are worth more than the tag, and deserve to be locked in long-term if that's what they want.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jared Allen said his shoulder is much better after surgery and heís looking forward to being able to do more in offseason training.

Allen: ďMy shoulder is doing good. Iím rehabbing it. Iíve got about 95 percent of my range of motion back. Now itís just the strengthening process trying to get back strength-wise. Iím just excited that I can actually train like I like to train. Last year I was hindered. I could barely lift any weights because my shoulder was so messed up.Ē

ďI canít wait to get this year going. Iím excited about our draft and Iím ready to go out and knock some heads. Iíve got a bad taste in my mouth from getting embarrassed in the playoffs. Hopefully these young guys do too and we can go back and make a run at this thing.Ē

http://min.scout.com/2/1289055.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Heavydan85

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Clowney or bust!

I Personally hope we are not in the position to get Clowney...and if we are I doubt DE will be our biggest issue.

Thanks to Jgoldiscool for the sig
[UMN]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way Allen won't be back is if he retires. I don't see him looking to move to a different team, and if he doesn't sign an extension there is no reason why we wouldn't franchise him. I think his competitive side will win out and he will stick around to chase some of the all-time records, so I don't see him retiring until he can't play anymore.

We Griffen waiting for his chance I don't think Robison will be back (same situation as when we had Edwards/Robison). If Lawrence Jackson can show enough to be a decent #3/4 guy, all we need is a mid round pick to be a rotational pass rusher and we are set at DE.

DT is the much bigger issue. I'm guessing Floyd will play mostly the 1-tech this year, but will move over and replace Kevin Williams next year. I could very easily see the Vikings drafting another DT in the 1st round next year. Going forward past this year I think the DL depth chart will be:

RE: Jared Allen | *rookie*
NT: *rookie* | Fred Evans/Letroy Guion
DT: Sharrif Floyd | Christian Ballard/Everett Dawkins
LE: Everson Griffen | Lawrence Jackson
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking Floyd is in the rotation at 3-tech. I don't see him spending much time as the 1-tech.

He could play some nose in passing situations when Griffen rotates in to the 3-tech.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
I'm thinking Floyd is in the rotation at 3-tech. I don't see him spending much time as the 1-tech.

He could play some nose in passing situations when Griffen rotates in to the 3-tech.

In passing situations, I would guess that the Vikes would be running more of a 4-3 over type look with the DEs lined up in the "wide 9" look and both DTs lined up between the T/G.

But i could see the Vikings trying to get the two best DTs on the field in base, and if that is Floyd or Williams, one will likely be playing out of position at the one technique spot. Nevertheless, id rather have Floyd or Williams out of position over Guion. Id guess that Guion and Evans both figure to be part of that one tech rotation and it may be by a game by game basis. Pass heavy offenses we may see more Floyd and less Evans. Against run heavy teams, i could see the team preferring someone like Evans over Floyd.
SerenityNow!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the bright side Jared Allen just tweeted this.

https://twitter.com/JaredAllen69/status/330771054324752384

He is clearly destined for a fantastic season.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it funny (and somewhat frustrating) the views of many here on the defensive end.

A lot of people are mad that we haven't extended Allen, who's coming off arguably his worst season as a Viking. Then on the other hand people want little to nothing to do with Robison past this year, despite posting arguably the best season of his career.

I know Allen was hurt most of the season, but so was Robison.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I find it funny (and somewhat frustrating) the views of many here on the defensive end.

A lot of people are mad that we haven't extended Allen, who's coming off arguably his worst season as a Viking. Then on the other hand people want little to nothing to do with Robison past this year, despite posting arguably the best season of his career.

Might just be a matter of choosing sides since it seems unlikely that MN will be able to keep both, in addition to Everson Griffen.

For MN to lock up all three long-term, would take quite the effort, and the team hasnt made progress on any of them. Or so it seems.
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:

Laughing

Joe_is_the_best ^^

BWG VIKE wrote:
Teddy needs a Snickers, he looks like Ponder when he is hungry
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Laughing

I fail to find the humor, maybe you can fill me in?
Freakout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Laughing

Probably because Robison's best season would be considered a down year for Jared Allen. There isn't much of a comparison between the two and yet that is what you seem to be doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakout wrote:
Klomp wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Laughing

Probably because Robison's best season would be considered a down year for Jared Allen. There isn't much of a comparison between the two and yet that is what you seem to be doing.

Fully agreed. I've been a Robison supporter since the day he got drafted and I want him to stick around, but I'm not interested in downplaying a great like Allen in the process. He has done a great deal for this organization and we owe him respect for that.

Peppers90 on the sig.
Krauser

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Robison's good but way easier to replace than Allen, who's one of the best in the league.

Even with his worst season in years, Allen was still very productive: played 93% of snaps, 12 sacks, 18 tackles for loss, 79 QB pressures, 45 tackles.

The only way you wouldn't want to resign Allen is if his play is going to decline with age and injuries. By midseason it'll be obvious if he's bounced back and I think he'll be offered a new contract based on that production. It seems that Allen always wanted the chance to play out this season for the original value of his contract (a payday he completely deserves), so I think he'll be open to re-signing for the right price.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: