Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bookending our defensive line
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Bookending our defensive line Reply with quote

with plenty of DE's on the roster right now, and with several of them having their contracts expire after this year, how about a conversation about the future of our personnel?

we can start with this:

Jared Allen: Im a Viking this year, Im gonna go out play my heart out and try to win a Super Bowl. I always look at chips fall where they may. My motto is if I take care of my job on the field the rest will take care of itself.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/02/jared-allen-feels-healthy-isnt-thinking-about-possible-free-agency/

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
chuck44

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I questioned some of Spielmans picks after RD 1...after this year our DE positon could be in trouble....Griffen will move in and start...but Robison and Allen both could be gone...Ages 31 and 30 I believe...We cant resign both unless Bryz pulls a miracle..I would have liked to see at least one pick in the later rds to develope

I know the Mike Mauti pick is a feel good story...but the chances of playing after 3 ACL surgeries and being effective are pretty slim...The Two lineman we took could have been found through UDFA..although I do Like Baca

We never seem to draft the long lanky DE projects...like a Quanterus Smith..david BAss in this years draft
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally like to see a future of Allen and Griffen starting at DE.

If Allen keeps up his usual production I'm sure he'll be looking for another big pay-day.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of contracts Griffen and Robison are looking for compared to JA.

I'd like to get Griffen locked up long-term before he has a real breakout season as he's heading into his prime.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
I questioned some of Spielmans picks after RD 1...after this year our DE positon could be in trouble....Griffen will move in and start...but Robison and Allen both could be gone...Ages 31 and 30 I believe...We cant resign both unless Bryz pulls a miracle..I would have liked to see at least one pick in the later rds to develope

I know the Mike Mauti pick is a feel good story...but the chances of playing after 3 ACL surgeries and being effective are pretty slim...The Two lineman we took could have been found through UDFA..although I do Like Baca

We never seem to draft the long lanky DE projects...like a Quanterus Smith..david BAss in this years draft

Robison has a lot less wear and tear than Jared Allen. He has 3 seasons less than Allen in the league, and has only really started full-time for 2/7.

He only played 2 seasons in college as well. He's about as young a 30 as you can get in this league.

I'd wager that our FO and coaches would be the first to emphasize the importance of DE's in this scheme, but when you have 3 starting quality players, with only 1 in danger of retiring soon, you're not looking to spend prime real estate there.

When Allen leaves, I expect the Vikings to draft a DE to groom behind Robison and Griffen.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to hurt, but my gut is that we re-sign Griffen and Robison and let JA walk.

Those two will cost about as much combined as what JA could command, plus they are the younger duo. Robison was the best DE on the team last year, and Jared might be ready to move on (whether its to another team or from football altogether).

It would pain me to see JA go, but that's just my gut feeling right now.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if MN starts planning ahead, this wouldnt be as big of an issue. Allen should have been locked up long term months ago. Would have helped the Vikes cap situation as well.

The way MN is dragging there feet on this issue, i suspect that they will part ways with Allen or Robison, but my guess would be that Griffen is a priority. Perhaps MN is confident in drafting a DE in 2014.

Sure it would have been nice to draft a DE this year, but looking at round 4, LB was a bigger need then DE. Maybe they could have grabbed a DE in round 5 oer punter, but people have been wanting to get a young punter anyway.

MN did sign a couple of decent DE prospects, and also have Jackson, Reed and Johnson under contract. Perhaps one of those guys show enough to replace Robison or Allen, whoever leaves.
chuck44

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed sure looks the part..Lets hope he has listened and learned from JA and B-Rob over the last couple...would like to see him get a chance to show what he has...this is his third year so it is probably make or break for him
twslhs20

Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clowney or bust!

Joe_is_the_best ^^
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:
Reed sure looks the part..Lets hope he has listened and learned from JA and B-Rob over the last couple...would like to see him get a chance to show what he has...this is his third year so it is probably make or break for him

I don't see Reed making it out of camp this year.

He was deactivated in favor of, essentially, a street free agent in George Johnson.
Klomp

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
chuck44 wrote:

I don't see Reed making it out of camp this year.

He was deactivated in favor of, essentially, a street free agent in George Johnson.

I think Jackson makes the team in Reed's spot this year..
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a meandering, psychedelia-tinged Doors song playing faintly in the background...

The Vikings don't have to allow Robison to leave to keep Allen.

Either:

1. keep all 3 with coordinated contract structuring,

or

2. allow Allen to leave, to keep Griffen (obviously) and Robison.

The first option would involve a 1 or 2 year deal for Allen, with pay level of a top 5 DE. The deals for Griffen and Robison would be 5 or 6 years, with some guaranteed money up front, but with low cap numbers while Allen's contract is in force. After Allen's contract ends, both Griffen's and Robison's contracts escalate in salary and salary cap impact.

The second option is based on a guess that Allen's performance might decline soon. So it might be best to keep Robison if he has more effective years ahead of him than Allen.

In the end, something between options 1 and 2 may be the solution, or Robison may be allowed to leave if the Vikings believe Allen has several more years left playing at a high level.
YooAdrian

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck44 wrote:

Mauti was a 7th round pick and IMO out of all the seventh round picks, he has the most potential to make a lasting impact so taking a DE there would have been irrelevant. We traded our mid round picks for our biggest need at WR and instead of taking Smith or another project DE in the 4th we had to address our second biggest need at the time at LB in Hodges. I fully expect the Vikings to resign at least Griffen in the offseason too but as far as I'm concerned, DE isn't a need right now and you can only address so many needs in one offseason. Next year I expect us to use money freed up from Carlson, Johnson, Guion, and probably JA to use on Robison and than we can draft a DE in the early rounds to be groomed and rotate in much like Griffen has done. Patience is virtue, we would have been in trouble at LB or WR if we looked DE this draft.
2013 Adopt-A-Viking: LB Michael Mauti #56

Baseball: Yankees
Basketball: Knicks
Football: Vikings
Hockey: Rangers
NCAA Basketball: Cuse Orange
NCAA Football: THE Ohio State Buckeyes
Krauser

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen is such a great fit for the Vikings, really the face of the franchise right now. I think he'd like to stay if the price is right. Rush DEs have been productive well into their 30s before.

If they can't agree to an extension, what would it cost to franchise him?
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krauser wrote:
Allen is such a great fit for the Vikings, really the face of the franchise right now. I think he'd like to stay if the price is right. Rush DEs have been productive well into their 30s before.

Less than his cap hit this year, that's for sure.
ViKingHopeful

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
Krauser wrote:

Less than his cap hit this year, that's for sure.

I'm probably wrong but I thought you could only franchise a guy coming off his rookie deal, or up to a certain age?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: