Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

41 Players to attend Rookie Minicamp
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With due of respect, sir.

I don't think you understand the difference between UFA and UDFA.

Being UFA, you has to get offered by teams.

Being UDFA, you get to sign a team of your choice; difference is that the contract isn't guaranteed and chance of making a roster is a lot harder.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Being UDFA, you get to sign a team of your choice;

Odd argument here...Yea, you get a choice...of whatever teams offer you a contract. You seem to know this based on other posts, or at least I hope so. It's up to the teams whether they want a guy.

Only difference between a UDFA and a UFA is one has been in the league and the others are out of college. Contracts. It's the same process.
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Being UDFA, you get to sign a team of your choice; difference is that the contract isn't guaranteed and chance of making a roster is a lot harder.

Say I am an undrafted WR

I have to get UDFA contract offers. Say I get them from the Steelers, Browns, and Raiders.

I then get to choose which of the 3 teams I want to sign with.

I cant just say I want to play for the Cowboys and they have to invite me to camp because I said I want to play for them. If you do not get an offer, you can't play for them.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:

Wow... seriously?

I'm very aware of the difference!

Did you read any of my posts? Just because the dude has a Steelers tat and wants to be a Steelers does not mean the Steelers want him. If Steelers do not want him...... he won't sign with the Steelers as a UDFA!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furthermore, Rontez Miles is a UDFA, if he doesn't make the cut in New York, there's a chance in the future he COULD end up in Pittsburgh. But it all comes back to, "Do the Steelers want him?" I don't know if they do or not, but you'd think they would've offered him a contract if they did.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was my understanding that Rontez did receive an offer (I have to find this source, of course).
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
UDFAs actually can sign with whoever, whichever team they think they have best chance to make the roster.

In that case I'm surprised he didn't, wouldn't be a bad idea to see him compete against DCS.
Yes, but both the Team and the Player have to agree to terms. As JDLefebvre said, a player can't sign with a team unless the team wants them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Actually it was my understanding that Rontez did receive an offer (I have to find this source, of course).

IF the Steelers did offer, why didn't he accept? My guess? Perhaps it's an issue with going to a team where he thinks his brother would have a reasonable opportunity to play, knowing that the Steelers don't usually bring people in with off the field issues. (that's if his brother even clears the charges)

Here's an interesting article on Rontez Miles... the schools he received a scholarship offer to might suggest we should have picked this guy up in the draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/college-district/california-pa-safety-has-a-chance-at-the-nfl-661449/#ixzz2SEaA6Ev3

Quote:

By Jacob Klinger / Special to the Post-Gazette
About once a week Vondre Griffin gets 15 minutes to call his half-brother from jail. Griffin won't let Rontez Miles, who is two months older, worry about him.

"He just makes sure I'm OK and he's OK. 'Don't worry about me,' " Miles, 23, said his brother tells him.

Miles and Griffin shared a dream. They would play football together and play it well. Well enough to get away from the streets of Braddock, into college and, as many optimistic 9-year-olds have dreamed, the NFL.

Miles' half of the dream is much closer to reality. He runs riot as a free safety for California (Pa.). Griffin is in Allegheny County jail without bail, waiting to move forward with his trial in connection with a fatal shooting outside Pav's Pub in McKeesport.

Griffin claimed the shooting was in self-defense. No trial date has been set.

Griffin was 9, watching Miles practice for the Swissvale Slashers when he started planning their way out. They'd star in high school, earn college scholarships, then on to the NFL. Miles laughs about it now -- Griffin running around with a high-cheeked smile and their futures figured.

He was mostly right. Both were standouts at Woodland Hills. In 2005, Griffin rushed for two touchdowns, passed for seven, caught one and returned a kickoff and a punt for scores. The punt return came against Connellsville with Miles as Griffin's primary blocker. Nobody touched him.

Miles was destructive in the secondary, teaming up with his cousin Terrence Johnson, who now plays for the Atlanta Falcons.

Griffin and Miles attracted interest from the likes of Pitt and West Virginia. The plan was working.

"Working toward getting into college, making a better life for themselves, using football as a means to get into college helps them do that," Woodland Hills athletic director and football coach George Novak said. He pauses. "Yeah, I was definitely aware of that."

But only Miles received scholarship offers from BCS programs. Griffin's only formal offers came from mid-majors Akron, Temple, Toledo and Kent State. The plan said Griffin and Miles would play out their dream together.

On Jan. 25, 2007, Miles formally rejected Colorado, Pitt and then-No. 6 West Virginia for Kent State.

"It's always been embedded in our head, since we were kids," Miles said. "We both made a plan and we stuck with it."

After a game-less season for Griffin and a Proposition 48, or non-qualifier, year for Miles, the two were called into coach Doug Martin's office. Griffin had struggled with grades and was awaiting a ruling on charges of driving without a license and marijuana possession.

According to Miles, Martin kicked Griffin off the team. Then he asked Miles to stay for the '08-09 season. Miles refused.

"They said 'He's done, we're done with him,' like it was nothing. I didn't trust them with my life, like you could do that to my little brother?" Miles said. "I couldn't, I couldn't trust them. I couldn't do it."

The brothers left for the Community College of Allegheny County where they spent a year taking classes and working at American Freight with an eye toward transferring to Division II California. In fall '09, though, when they went to enroll, Miles said, Griffin discovered he owed Kent State about $17,000 because he was not on full scholarship, preventing him from obtaining his transcripts and transferring.

Miles earned Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (West) freshman of the year and second team all-division honors.

The older brother is a senior now, but at the end of his junior year, when he started getting Facebook friend requests from people representing agents, he asked the California athletic director for advice. He said he was told to ignore the contacts, and did.

But the reality of his half of the dream was sinking in. He might have a future in the pros.

"If he can get into [NFL training] camp he's not going to leave," said Johnson, in his second year in the NFL.

Looking ahead -- past the end of his college career, likely today when the Vulcans play Millersville at home, receiving his family's first college degree next month, the NFL draft or his brother's legal proceedings -- is out of the question for Miles.

But he remembers game days when his brother watched him play or called him from home and cried before he'd explode for breakout games.

And he sees hope for the full dream.

Said Miles: "Anything's possible, I think we can do it. ... We'll see one day."

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Last edited by wwhickok on Fri May 03, 2013 9:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turtle28- read my message above.

Stil waiting to hear from this person. Have looked around, apparently I'm wrong, look likethe steelers didn't offer.
gatek99

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a die hard steelers fan and I would love to play for the Steelers

But for a career choice, I would pass on the Steelers and join a team where myself and my agent think I have the best chance of making a 53 man roster.

I wanted Conner Vernon real bad, however would he have a better chance beating out Cotch or Burress who we love or would he have a better chance at beating out young nobodies in Oakland.

Miles probably thinks he has a better shot to make the Jets team then he does with us

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense. Wouldn't want to leave the team on a bad note if I were a fan too.

Business always get in the way.
gatek99

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know who number 14 was? He is not on the roster

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
Anyone know who number 14 was? He is not on the roster

Derek Moye

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
gatek99

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who took 15 then? J Brown or JDWoods?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: