Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What 2014 Prospects are you watching closely in 2013?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: What 2014 Prospects are you watching closely in 2013? Reply with quote

This is somewhat of a spinoff from JDLefebvre's that talks about our weaknesses. I liked the thread there and I gave my thoughts.

Reality is we can't say for sure how our guys are going to develop, so regardless of need, and we all, for the most part, agree that we draft BPA anyway, what Prospects are you watching out for in the 2013 College Football season that you expect to be available in the draft in 2014?

Mine are as follow:

WR Devin Street/Pittsburgh - He's a Pittsburgh guy, not by any means the next Larry Fitzgerald but currently ranked somewhere around #6 at his position. He's a fast, well sized(6'4" 190 lbs) WR who struggles with consistency but Pitt is making a change to a Pro Style offense, which could really boost his production and value.

TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins/Washington - Likely the best TE in next years draft

LB CJ Mosley/Alabama - ILB of the future perhaps?

OT Taylor Lewen/Michigan - Instant upgrade at LT

OT Seantrel Henderson/Miami(FL) - Probably a 2nd round prospect, again, potential LT.

RB Marcus Coker/Stony Brook - very physical running back but has off the field issues

RB Damien Williams/Oklahoma - Could be a nice compliment to Bell

NT Mister Cobble/Kentucky - He is an absolute wrecking ball and he's got great quickness and mobility...and who doesn't dig that name lol.

S Ed Reynolds/Stanford - Could easily be the best safety in next years draft. A player I would suggest could develop into an elite NFL talent.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

Last edited by wwhickok on Thu May 02, 2013 12:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few things: Austin Seferian-Jenkins is from Washington, not Stanford.

I really have hard time seeing us going LB again in 1st round next season.

Rumors had it Louis Nix is projected to be 3-4 Defensive End at next level which hurt him.

If we were to replace Ziggy Hood and doesn't want McLendon to play DE, i'd like us to get Stephen Tuitt from Notre Dame. A real deal.

There's a sleeper in Brandon Coleman who easily look like a next Calvin Johnson on paper (6'5" 220 lbs, run sub 4.5) from Rutgers but of course, he's young and inconsistent. I like his potentials a lot, can be used as a deep-threat too.

I'm holding on naming few left tackles because some of them lost great guards that helped them and or going through a new scheme. I'd like to wait to see how they do, but i'd like a left tackle as well.

Also as I suspect, next year class for tight ends should be better. I like Stanford's Levin Toilolo or Randall Telfer from USC and Telfer is more tuned up as a tight end, but Toilolo has more upside.

I'm keeping my eye on Ed Reynolds, the free safety of Stanford. Suposely he is Earl Thomas 2.0 for the potential. Ah yeah if Ed have a good season he'll be a top 10 pick.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Few things: Austin Seferian-Jenkins is from Washington, not Stanford.

I really have hard time seeing us going LB again in 1st round next season.

Rumors had it Louis Nix is projected to be 3-4 Defensive End at next level which hurt him.

If we were to replace Ziggy Hood and doesn't want McLendon to play DE, i'd like us to get Stephen Tuitt from Notre Dame. A real deal.

There's a sleeper in Brandon Coleman who easily look like a next Calvin Johnson on paper (6'5" 220 lbs, run sub 4.5) from Rutgers but of course, he's young and inconsistent. I like his potentials a lot, can be used as a deep-threat too.

I'm holding on naming few left tackles because some of them lost great guards that helped them and or going through a new scheme. I'd like to wait to see how they do, but i'd like a left tackle as well.

Also as I suspect, next year class for tight ends should be better. I like Stanford's Levin Toilolo or Randall Telfer from USC and Telfer is more tuned up as a tight end, but Toilolo has more upside.

I'm keeping my eye on Eric Reynolds, the free safety of Stanford. Suposely he is Earl Thomas 2.0 for the potential.

Yeah I meant to add Ed Reynolds from Stanford..which I clearly didn't do, must've had a mental block, that's why it says Austin is from standford lol.

Also Levine Toilolo was drafted by the Falcons THIS year.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what?! Thought he opted to stay? Damn, dumb decision. Guess its Telfer and Seferian-Jenkins lol

It happens, we all get those weird mental block from now and on.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Wait what?! Thought he opted to stay? Damn, dumb decision. Guess its Telfer and Seferian-Jenkins lol

It happens, we all get those weird mental block from now and on.

I get them more than I'd like to admit.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add Andrew Jackson ILB Western Kentucky. At 6'1 260 he would be that thumper this D needs. He had 116 tackles and 16.5 TFL's last season. in 2011 he had 109 tackles and 17.5 TFL even though he missed the last 2 games due to injury. Good instincts and lays a nice hit. Sheds blocks and plays the run well.

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!

Last edited by stefan52268 on Thu May 02, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What 2014 Prospects are you watching closely in 2013? Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
NT Mister Cobble/Kentucky - He is an absolute wrecking ball and he's got great quickness and mobility...and who doesn't dig that name lol..

I want him just for his name.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
Gatoradus

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Lol I do like Mister Cobble as a prospect though.

Also Louis Nix as a 3-4 defensive end (again, if steelers want their aaron smith version, they should look at Louis Nix)

I'm actually a fan of Andrew Jackson but we kind of already have a prospectlike him in Vince Williams although Andrew Jackson can prove he can play in coverage this season ifhe can.
gatek99

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be watching whoever the best ILBs are

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping Sammy Watkins runs a 4.79 40 time.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't think about this stuff till at least the fall. We just got done with the draft I need a break from scouting lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatek99 wrote:
I will be watching whoever the best ILBs are

Frankly, Andrew Jackson and CJ Mosley may very well be the best of the ILB class next season.

Josh C Smith wrote:
I honestly don't think about this stuff till at least the fall. We just got done with the draft I need a break from scouting lol.

I'm usually the same way but it's so bloody boring this time of the year lol. Plus I'm also looking forward to College Football, especially with the new Playoff system on its way.

Sig courtesy of IDOG
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my hope is that the team doesn't need to draft an OT high in the draft next year again, so I'll take OT off the board in round 1 for now. I'm hoping it's more of a mid round need.

1. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
3. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
4. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
5. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
6. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
9. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
10. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
11. HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
12. Anthony Johnson, DE/DE, LSU
13. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
14. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
15. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
16. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

When I look at the Steelers roster, I see a lot of youth on the offensive side of the ball but for Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller.

When I look at the defense, I still see several aging players. The defense still plays well, year in, year out, but it's time to start replacing these players with 1st round and 2nd round studs. The team started the process the a few years ago by drafting Woodley, Timmons, Hood, Heyward and now Jones. I think next year the 1st round defensive player trend continues unless the team has to replace Emmanuel Sanders because he leaves in FA, or "if" Marquise Lee, Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Sammy Watkins ends up being a late first round draft pick.

I see the Steelers drafting around where they drafted this year, hopefully in the 20's though and not the late teens... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What 2014 Prospects are you watching closely in 2013? Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
wwhickok wrote:
NT Mister Cobble/Kentucky - He is an absolute wrecking ball and he's got great quickness and mobility...and who doesn't dig that name lol..

I want him just for his name.
I think there is a strong possiblity he's drafted if the Steelers don't take someone like Louis Nix III or Daniel McCullers in round 1. At this point, I don't think Cobble is a 1st round prospect. (of course that could change) If the team goes LB, CB, S or WR in round 1 and 2, Cobble could be a option in the mid rounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Well my hope is that the team doesn't need to draft an OT high in the draft next year again, so I'll take OT off the board in round 1 for now. I'm hoping it's more of a mid round need.

1. Marqise Lee, WR, USC
2. Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
3. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
4. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT, Notre Dame
5. Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
6. Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma
7. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, CB, Oregon
9. C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
10. Daniel McCullers, NT, Tennessee
11. HaHa Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
12. Anthony Johnson, DE/DE, LSU
13. Andrew Jackson, ILB, Western Kentucky
14. Loucheiz Purifoy, CB, Florida
15. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
16. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame

When I look at the Steelers roster, I see a lot of youth on the offensive side of the ball but for Ben Roethlisberger and Heath Miller.

When I look at the defense, I still see several aging players. The defense still plays well, year in, year out, but it's time to start replacing these players with 1st round and 2nd round studs. The team started the process the a few years ago by drafting Woodley, Timmons, Hood, Heyward and now Jones. I think next year the 1st round defensive player trend continues unless the team has to replace Emmanuel Sanders because he leaves in FA, or "if" Marquise Lee, Austin Seferian-Jenkins or Sammy Watkins ends up being a late first round draft pick.

I see the Steelers drafting around where they drafted this year, hopefully in the 20's though and not the late teens... Wink

I really like that list. The guys I bolded are the guys I think would have the highest and most immediate impact for the Steelers, Purifoy imo would initially be a KR/PR with his speed.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: