Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Worm’s overview of Saints 2013 NFL draft picks with grades.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Worm’s overview of Saints 2013 NFL draft picks with grades. Reply with quote

Kenny Vaccaro

Personal scouting report: The prototypical new aged safety, Vaccaro possesses everything you need in a centerfielder of the defense in today’s pass happy NFL. Vaccaro’s blend of size, quickness, coverage skills, instincts and physicality will make him an instant impact player for the Saints regardless of the role Rob Ryan ultimately decides to put him in. The only weakness to Vaccaro’s game is that he at times can be too aggressive and his deep speed is not elite.

Scheme fit in New Orleans: I firmly believe that Vaccaro is the future of the position in New Orleans in the long-term but in the short-term I see him utilized in different packages with both Roman Harper and Malcolm Jenkins. Rob Ryan will basically have three starting safety’s this year with Vaccaro’s versatility utilized in a multitude of positions ranging from SS, FS, Nickel & CB in Ryan’s variety of packages.

Pro Comparison: A bigger more physical Earl Thomas

Draft pick grade: A

Terron Armstead

Personal scouting report: Ideal fit in not only the Saints scheme but in today’s NFL as a franchise left tackle. Great size, length & power blended with tremendous athletic ability. Despite playing at a small school, Armstead is much more polished than given credit for. He displayed the ability to not only play with the big boys at the east west shrine game and senior bowl but he proved he has the potential to be special on the edge in a passing attack. Armstead will need to continue to improve his run blocking but he possesses the physical tools, aggressiveness and nasty demeanor to develop in this area.

Scheme fit in New Orleans: Like a glove! Armstead will compete for the starting left tackle position this season and while he will have a hill to climb to earn the starting gig, he is clearly the future on the blindside in New Orleans and how quickly he develops and adapts to the NFL game will determine how soon that future will be.

Pro Comparison: A young Jason Peters

Draft pick grade: A-

Jonathan Jenkins

Personal scouting report: Massive inside 2 down defender with surprising quickness for his size. Can anchor as a 2 gaper but also displays the quickness to penetrate as a 1 gaper. Also possesses versatility to play multiple positions across the defensive front in a 3 man look as both a NT and 5 tec. Will need to monitor his weight and does wear down quickly due to his conditioning and size. His motor is impressive and he’s known as a hard worker who loves football so maintaining his weight should not be an issue. Will have to be part of a rotation but when fresh has the potential to be a dominate interior force as a 34 NT.

Scheme fit in New Orleans: Gives Rob Ryan the ability to use lots of 1 & 2 gap principals in his scheme. Also allows Ryan to rotate Bunkley and Hicks more at other positions along the defensive front to create matchup problems and confusion to an opposing offensive line. If Rob Ryan can keep him in shape and motivated, the Saints very well may have found the most important piece of their 34 defense… and a good one at that.

Pro comparison: Dan Williams

Draft pick grade: B+

Kenny Stills

Personal scouting report: Can run every route in the route tree and is very smooth in and out of his cuts. Seems to always find open spaces on the field due to his superb route running and displays very dependable hands as a pass catcher. Despite a sub 4.4 40 time at the NFL combine, Stills plays much quicker than fast but uses his deep speed as a deceptive tool on the football field to set up defenders. Very productive college player but limited in size and strength although he does possess the frame to improve in this area. Maturity questions are a concern but overall is a good kid with a great work ethic who will come in with a major chip on his shoulder.

Scheme fit in New Orleans: Stills possesses all the tools to be a lethal receiving threat in Sean Payton’s offense. He will need to get stronger and polish up his inside game at the next level but he has a chance to have a big time impact for the Saints in 2013.

Pro comparison: A more explosive Lance Moore

Draft pick grade: B-

Rufus Johnson

Personal scouting report: Wow… Your guess is as good as mine here. Johnson is the great unknown based on the little people actually knows about him. I have to admit I never even heard of him until his name was announced (I was praying I’d hear Chase Thomas at the time) but since then I have done some research. It’s still hard to evaluate Johnson based on the tape that is available but it’s clear that he was a big shark in a small pond. As far as his physical tools, it doesn’t get any better than 6’6” 270lbs and top notch speed and quickness for his position. It’s clear he’s a physical specimen but due to his ability to dominate on his level in college by simply using a powerful bulrush, he will find out quickly in the NFL that he will need to develop a pass rush repertoire in order to succeed at the next level.

Scheme fit in New Orleans: Johnson seems to be a perfect slab of marble that the Saints hope Rob Ryan can chisel into a stud 34 OLB in time. I clearly see a developmental year ahead of Johnson in 2013 but his physical skills cannot be denied and he may have to be carried on the roster to avoid other teams stealing him away.

Pro comparison: A more athletic Quinton Coples

Draft pick grade: C+

Overall Draft Grade: B
The only reason this grade is not an A is because of the unknown that is Rufus Johnson and I did not included evaluations of UDFA’s. If I had, this would absolutely been a grade A haul and I do believe this class will go down as this regime’s 2nd best class of the Loomis & Payton era.

WHODAT

What’s ya’ll take on this class?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
FLOODx

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up as always Worm.

Vaccaro pick: Wasn't too excited at first since Jones was still on the board, but I warmed up to the pick in about 15 minutes Laughing A Safety with Vaccaro's versatility and the tacking ability of a LB is something every defense should covet. He brings some much needed 'swagger' to our D.

Grade: A

Armstead pick: Loved this pick. Most experts had him in the second, so scooping him up in the third round was great value. Fits with the Saints want to do as an athlete, and could be the future at LT. He seems eager to get to work, and when you mix hard work with the freakish athlete Armstead is you get perrenial pro-bowler.

Grade: A

Jenkins pick: I wasn't really satisfied with Bunkley holding it down at NT. I wanted someone that could truly clog up the interior of a 3-4 defense consistently, and I believe Jenkins can do that, eventually. Great value once again, but he needs to learn to play lower and clean up his technique. I'm going to give this one a slightly lower grade than the last two since we gave up two picks to get him.

Grade: B

Stills pick: Speedy route running technician that comes up big in big games, and catches the ball with his hands. Decent value in the 5th, and isn't as small as people think. Stills measured in at 6'0" 194 at the combine, while Robert Woods measured in at 6'0" 201. With the frame to add some muscle, I'm not too worried about his size. He does need to get more physical in game, and hopefully that something his MMA training can help him with. Wink

Grade: B

Johnson pick: Don't know what to say here. All the other players we drafted after Vaccaro were great value picks, and we took Vaccaro where most had him mocked. This pick came out of left field. I feel like we have too many athletes that are trying to convert to OLB as it is, but I trust Loomis, Payton, and Ryan so I'll stand by them.

Grade: C

Overall Draft Grade: B

Like you said Worm, factor in the UDFAs and I'd give it an overall A.

gopherwrestler on the sig.
Adopt-a-Saint
Cam Jordan: 47 tackles, 12.5 sacks, 2 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: