Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Quinton Patton is already Jim Harbaugh’s favorite rookie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
757-NINER


Joined: 08 Jan 2013
Posts: 423
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

48 1/2ers wrote:
Kikuchiyo wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
757-NINER wrote:
Why would he bump AJ off the roster? Him getting drafted has ZERO to do with Jenkins. Patton was a BPA pick, in the 4th round. Now if Patton would have been a first round pick, you might have a point. It wasn't a indictment on AJ, its called solid drafting. Even if AJ had been the reigning ROY, we still needed depth at WR with two main guys trying to comback from major knee surgery. The AJ hate by our fanbase is very misguided. As long as he continues to work hard and get better at his craft, he will be fine.

What proof is there that he has been working hard? Joe Hastings showed more than him.


What proof is there that he hasn't? Hastings did not show more than him. That is a gross exageration. Neither player produced at all in the regular season, and Hastings wasn't even on the 53 man roster until injuries forced him to be called up from the PS.

The complete lack of faith the coaching staff and his QB had in him last year. The fact that he came in to camp out of shape last year. Working "hard" means you are going above and beyond. he needs to show me that he isnt a dud...I'm not saying he's a bust get him off the roster now, I am just saying there is no excuse for him not contributing anything last year he needs to step up or guys like patton, and Kdub will push him off the roster next year.


See this is what I mean. Gross exaggeration with this fanbase when it comes to WRs. It was the same thing with Crabtree. He's this, he's that. He's lazy. He's a malcontent. Then when he finally gets healthy and has a QB that can get him the ball consistently, everybody wants to be his biggest fan.

First let's get some facts straight. He didn't show out out-shape, he didnt show up in NFL shape, which is common for most rookies. And if you read the comment from Harbaugh, he actually implied that ALL the rookies were not in NFL shape. He wasn't sitting at home, eating chicken wings, just chillin. He said he thought he was in great shape when he got here but didn't realize how intense and fast-paced JH pratices are. That's hardly something that proves he doesn't work hard. The fact that he spent all off-season in ATL working out and catching passes with CK proves he's been working hard and wants to be better.

As far as production, he had a grand total of ONE target. So excalty how is he supposed to produce when the ball isn't coming his way? CK obviously had greater chemistry with guys like Crabtree and VD. Less with others. Even Moss said that their chemsitry wasn't great after the season, for whatever reason. That's why Jenkins went to Atlanta, so he and CK could develop better chemistry. What more do you want?

One of the beat writers eluded to the fact that Jenkins had problems picking up the playbook and that could have been the main reason why he wasn't used more. Don't know how true that is but if he did have problems with the playbook, they probably only taught him one position, which would limited his snaps if he didn't know the other WR positions and was limited to just working out of one spot. I said the moment he was drafted, he wouldnt do much at all as a rookie but should contribute in 2013 and beyond. His functional strength coming into the league needed to improve. Jenkins rarely faced press coverage in college and I knew that would hinder him as a rookie because of his slight frame and the fact he lacked power in his base. Even though he was a first round pick, he was more of a project in my mind. And his rookie season reflected as much, though the 0 catches was far less than I was expecting. But the point is, I knew his impact as a rookie would be minimal. I think Baalke knew it to, which why he went and brought in Moss and Manningham before the draft.

So yes, there are excuses as to why he didn't contribute more as a rookie. And last I checked, your first year doesn't define your career. Everyone doesn't hit the ground running. But saying guys like Chad Hall and Joe Hastings out-performed him is just hate, plain and simple and isn't grounded in any facts whatsoever. I said it with Crabtree and I'm saying with AJ, let these guys develop some before you cast judgement on their career. Judging their work ethic by their production or lack there of, early on, isnt sound judgement.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big9erfan


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 14413
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kikuchiyo wrote:
48 1/2ers wrote:
you seem to be making excuses for Jenkins. heres the fact we brought him in because we needed our WRs to contribute more correct? He hasn't and the fact that we added 4 more WRs this offseason that could push him down the depth chart tells me that he is not what we hoped he would be. You say we didnt run many 3 wr sets, we had Delanie play at WR, we didnt spread the ball around. Had Jenkins been able to contribute at all we would have run more 3 WR sets, Delanie wouldnt have had to play wr, and we would have spread the ball around more!


Is that a fact? Have you talked to the coaches and this is what they've told you? Because if you haven't, this is just pure speculation. The fact that we added 4 more WRS (which I'm unsure is even true, I beleive we've brought in 3 Boldin, Patton, and Moore if you're thinking Lockette he was on PS last year), has more to do with the fact that we lost Randy Moss and we can't be sure how Manningham and Williams will workout post-injury. Marlon Moore has very little chance to even make the team and will most likely be a ST guy if he does.


Yes. Moss is gone and dont forget Ginn too. Then two guys injured and trying to come back. Plus contract concerns on the horizon for our best receiver. Makes perfect sense we would be looking to wr no matter where ajj was in his development.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7184
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is that Jenkins isn't going anywhere this year. Any first round pick should get more than one season to prove his worth. Let's see how he comes out this year. Maybe he did just need a year to adjust. If he's a bust, its not one so severe that it would devastate our team anyway
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oldman9er


Joined: 24 Oct 2006
Posts: 40144
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems fair to be curious and/or disappointed with AJJ so far. All this talk is fun, but I am not leaning one way or the other with him at this point. I didn't expect much from him in year 1... mostly because we had plenty of other seasoned receivers to work with, and that we weren't gonna be one of those wild passing teams. Time for him to step up though, and if he gets outshined by many? I can see Baalke and Co. just owning the mistake and cutting him loose. I doubt it will come to that so quickly, but hey.. it's all on AJJ, and I won't lose sleep over it either way.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrissooner49er


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 4056
Location: Tulsa, OK
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe anyone is saying AJJ should be 'gone' right now. I know I said I wouldn't be surprised if Patton is here and AJJ is not when we look at the roster TWO years from now...

And Kikuchiyo, Chad Hall did indeed have a pass thrown his way in the PLAYOFF game vs. the Falcons(it was broken up, but he was thrown to nonetheless)...just re-watched it. That speaks volumes that a street-FA gets trusted with playing time in the playoffs and yet we cannot recall seeing AJJ?! With 2 starting WRs on IR and Chad Hall plays and AJJ may not have? Yikes. Confused

And Barrows recently happened to mention he had heard AJJ was a bit 'apathetic'...does not bode well. This kid had better get it together or we will have yet another 1st round WR bust. Sad
I hate drafting WRs in the 1st....
_________________
fa·nat·ic (f-ntk)
A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
Draft wishes:1st-Beckham/Cooks,Fuller/Verrett;2nd-T. Murphy,Moncrief,Su'a-Filo,M. Smith;3rd-Abbrederis,Ben Gardner,J.Watkins,T. Reilly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 4321
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.
_________________


janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cHaInBrEaKeRiii


Joined: 21 Dec 2005
Posts: 4356
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FG21_PW52


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 4321
Location: 831, CA.
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.


took a 6 game holdout, and 0 talent at WR, but yes he did. but that was also a different team, different HC and all that. most of our rookies back then would see a lot of PT. last year, we were the only team to have 0 rookies make a start.

years 2 & 3 for AJ will be where he needs to show his draft status. I'm not worried yet.
_________________


janky wrote:
Bridgewater won't be better than Brandon Weeden
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chrissooner49er


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 4056
Location: Tulsa, OK
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.


took a 6 game holdout, and 0 talent at WR, but yes he did. but that was also a different team, different HC and all that. most of our rookies back then would see a lot of PT. last year, we were the only team to have 0 rookies make a start.

years 2 & 3 for AJ will be where he needs to show his draft status. I'm not worried yet.


Good. However, I am concerned. We lose two WRs to the IR and he sees as little time as he does? Yep, color me concerned--highlighter yellow even! Laughing
_________________
fa·nat·ic (f-ntk)
A person marked or motivated by an extreme, unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause.
Draft wishes:1st-Beckham/Cooks,Fuller/Verrett;2nd-T. Murphy,Moncrief,Su'a-Filo,M. Smith;3rd-Abbrederis,Ben Gardner,J.Watkins,T. Reilly...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7184
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chrissooner49er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.


took a 6 game holdout, and 0 talent at WR, but yes he did. but that was also a different team, different HC and all that. most of our rookies back then would see a lot of PT. last year, we were the only team to have 0 rookies make a start.

years 2 & 3 for AJ will be where he needs to show his draft status. I'm not worried yet.


Good. However, I am concerned. We lose two WRs to the IR and he sees as little time as he does? Yep, color me concerned--highlighter yellow even! Laughing


Agreed, that's what really concerned me last year. Wide receiver is a hard plug and play position, so i didn't expect too much from him because he's not one of those physically freakish wide receivers. He's going to have to rely on his speed and route running and hands, and he really seemed to struggle last year. When two wide receivers went down and we really needed him to contribute, he couldn't do it. I'm hopeful that spending time with Kaep has allowed him to put on a little weight and strength, and maybe he'll come into TC and the preseason and just tear it up and even pass Williams and Manningham on the depth chart.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoCalNiner


Moderator
Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Posts: 23099
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.


took a 6 game holdout, and 0 talent at WR, but yes he did. but that was also a different team, different HC and all that. most of our rookies back then would see a lot of PT. last year, we were the only team to have 0 rookies make a start.

years 2 & 3 for AJ will be where he needs to show his draft status. I'm not worried yet.


Good. However, I am concerned. We lose two WRs to the IR and he sees as little time as he does? Yep, color me concerned--highlighter yellow even! Laughing


Agreed, that's what really concerned me last year. Wide receiver is a hard plug and play position, so i didn't expect too much from him because he's not one of those physically freakish wide receivers. He's going to have to rely on his speed and route running and hands, and he really seemed to struggle last year. When two wide receivers went down and we really needed him to contribute, he couldn't do it. I'm hopeful that spending time with Kaep has allowed him to put on a little weight and strength, and maybe he'll come into TC and the preseason and just tear it up and even pass Williams and Manningham on the depth chart.


IIRC one of his main concerns was easily getting jammed at the line, so I hope he's built up some more strength this off-season.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Forge


Joined: 19 Feb 2010
Posts: 7184
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Forge wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
how many rookie WRs make significant impacts anyway? I'm not worried about AJ, its only going to be his 2nd season. look how long it took Crabs to really show up.


I agree that year 2 will be much better for AJJ, but Crabs made an impact right away though.


took a 6 game holdout, and 0 talent at WR, but yes he did. but that was also a different team, different HC and all that. most of our rookies back then would see a lot of PT. last year, we were the only team to have 0 rookies make a start.

years 2 & 3 for AJ will be where he needs to show his draft status. I'm not worried yet.


Good. However, I am concerned. We lose two WRs to the IR and he sees as little time as he does? Yep, color me concerned--highlighter yellow even! Laughing


Agreed, that's what really concerned me last year. Wide receiver is a hard plug and play position, so i didn't expect too much from him because he's not one of those physically freakish wide receivers. He's going to have to rely on his speed and route running and hands, and he really seemed to struggle last year. When two wide receivers went down and we really needed him to contribute, he couldn't do it. I'm hopeful that spending time with Kaep has allowed him to put on a little weight and strength, and maybe he'll come into TC and the preseason and just tear it up and even pass Williams and Manningham on the depth chart.


IIRC one of his main concerns was easily getting jammed at the line, so I hope he's built up some more strength this off-season.


Yeah, and when we are matching up with the likes of Sherman and Browner multiple times a year, and then other bigger corners like PP, that could be a concern.
_________________


Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LANiner


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 554
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherman will always cover crabs Jenkins has the speed to easily burn right thru Browne er i think we will see a contribution from him this year maybe 500yd season? we do have a stacked wr roster what I'm intrigued by is who is gonna make the roster I think we carry 6wr but who will be the six
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
adamq


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 7849
Location: Missouri
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crabs
Anquan
Rio
KDub
AJJ v Lockette v Patton for the final 1/2 spots
_________________

-kiltman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LANiner


Joined: 15 Feb 2009
Posts: 554
Location: Los Angeles
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me it's more like
Crabtree
boldin
Jenkins
k dub
lockette vs manningham maybe put on pup list though
Patton
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group