Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

signings in the secondary
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Ff you could add one DB who would you sign?
Kerry Rhodes
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Sheldon Brown
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Quentin Jammer
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
other...please list
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 19

schulman116

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: signings in the secondary Reply with quote

I think we were all kind of shocked that we didn't adress the secondary in the draft. But honestly I'm not that worried. Gamble will be missed...but essentially he was gone most of last year anyway. His injury allowed for J.Norman & J.Thomas to get a lot of much needed reps last year. I think those 2 along with sneaky new additions of DJ Moore & Drayton Florence will all surprise people. Captain is as solid a slot cover corner as we could ask for.

At Safety....Godfrey needs to step up this year. He needs to make some damn plays & become a leader. I love the additions of Mike Mitchell & UDFA Robert Lester (Roll Tide) both of whom I believe will contribute a lot this year on D and on special teams.

This is a short list of vet DB's that are out of work because they've lost a step due to their age. They're not very expensive, would add to our depth, and hopefully serve as mentor/guides to the younger inexperienced DB players.

Quentin Jammer CB

Continuing the Rivera charger connection, we pick up a solid physical vet CB to fill the void left by Gamble.
I do really like the potential of DJ Moore/J.Norman/J.Thomas, but bringing in a player with 10+ years of NFL starting experience would be a welcomed addition to pair with Drayton Florence & Captain.
I am quite aware that both Jammer & Florence are on the last legs of their career, but a reunion in Carolina could motivate and push each player to get better in the secondary. They were once a great tandem in SD and are very familiar with Ron Rivera's defensive schemes.

$1m-2.4m

Sheldon Brown CB

As a backup plan to Jammer, Brown would also be an interesting signing. He's a big physical "nasty" corner that we haven't had in CAR since Ken Lucas. He's also on the down hill of his career...but that's why he is available and affordable. If Norman/J.Thomas can get on the field..so can Sheldon Brown.

$1-1.2m

Kerry Rhodes S

I have always been a big fan of Kerry Rhodes. He's a hard hitting ball hawk that would totally change this secondary. Other than Mike Minter & Chris Harris we haven't had a real presence ("leader") in the back for a while. I think he's out of our price range but man could he change our secondary... even past his prime he has much more talent than Nakumura/Campbell/Mitchell. It would also allow Godfrey to stay strictly at FS....where he is most effective.

$1.7m-2.5m

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't really see anyone who could add much to what we already have.

CB: Captain, Moore, Thomas, Norman, Florence, Dockery
SS: Mitchell, Naka, Campbell
FS: Godfrey, Jones, Russell

Campbell and Naka could backup either safety spot. We have three nickels. Thomas, Norman, Dockery, Florence can all play outside...

Outside of "veteran leadership" which is made up, because veterans want to play just as much as young guys, there's nothing Rhodes, Brown, or Jammer would add to our current group of guys outside of more money being spent.

We have a kick [inappropriate/removed] pass rush. It helped our secondary last season. It will help our secondary this season. People need to stop freaking out about it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[mod edit]

-Please take a look back over the rules. We don't discuss that here.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to choose, I'd add Rhodes. Jammer is terrible and Brown isn't all that good anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
[mod edit]

....and that matters because?

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Cypher

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
[mod edit]

I'm going to assume you have a really good football reason for this...

NS922 wrote:
All on LOLton for page stretching to Green Idk what happened my phone graduated to ROFLtron
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
[mod edit]

And how is that relevant in any way?

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smitty89 wrote:
[mod edit]
Is that why you wouldn't want him to sign here?

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Gamble.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think our secondary will be pretty good honestly. DJ Moore and Captain Munnerlyn are probably both in the Top 5 slot CB's in the game and they are both play makers.

Norman has the size and tools to take on the WR's he'll face in the division and I think by seasons end he'll be the #1 guy. Thomas showed and alot and I think we'll him on the outside as well.

Mitchell is a decent safety. Lester can provide the pure run stopping hitter in select packages. We may even see DJ Moore back there. Campbell was good too.

With Rivera's creativity and the skill set each of our corners provides I don't think it'll be too hard to make a scheme that makes all compliment each other. Combined with our pass rush I think the secondary should be just fine.
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
Combined with our pass rush I think the secondary should be just fine.

I think this is the big thing. Right now I don't think we have anyone who fits a defense as more than a below average #2 or solid nickel corner, but so long as we're not giving Matt Ryan/Drew Brees too much time to throw, we'll be just fine (as we were last year, save for a few big plays).
boondock

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

I think this is the big thing. Right now I don't think we have anyone who fits a defense as more than a below average #2 or solid nickel corner, but so long as we're not giving Matt Ryan/Drew Brees too much time to throw, we'll be just fine (as we were last year, save for a few big plays).

I feel the same way. Ultimately, if we land on a CB in the draft that's BPA over the next couple of years or someone breaks out to a #1 guy; that's great, but it's not the end of the world either if we don't find a true #1 as long as our line is being dominant.

Look at the Raven's they just won the SB and I do not consider any of the their CBs a #1, same with the Giants the year before. They are doing it all upfront with their front 7 play.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

I feel the same way. Ultimately, if we land on a CB in the draft that's BPA over the next couple of years or someone breaks out to a #1 guy; that's great, but it's not the end of the world either if we don't find a true #1 as long as our line is being dominant.

Look at the Raven's they just won the SB and I do not consider any of the their CBs a #1, same with the Giants the year before. They are doing it all upfront with their front 7 play.

They also have Ed Reed. So there's that.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
boondock

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
boondock wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

They also have Ed Reed. So there's that.

Meh. Ed Reed has been past his prime for the past 2-3 years. Not really what he once was.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Charles Woodson ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: