Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Roster Breakdown
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
reddevil

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiberiusRising wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
TiberiusRising wrote:
I am really starting to wonder if they plan to move Houston over to the other side. He is pretty quick and is powerful. I am thinking he might be able to generate more pressure if the QB cant see him coming. Definatley faster/more aggressive than Shagnessey. Maybe that is why he is slimming down. Houston actually had better 40 time than Werner did this year.

When I watch games most of the time Houston has his man beat or at least is pushing him into the pocket however the QB is starring right at him and gets rid of the ball.

Just a thought.

I hope not. He's always half a second late getting to the QB and that's against RTs. I'm really not trying to find out how he handles LTs.

I see it a little different. One he isn't asked to go after it as much and has to stay home for a second or two. He pushes stronger RT's around and had no compliment on the other side. Not to mention the QB being able to see the pressure. Stats are not everything but he was highly effective at pressuring the QB. The best part is I can actually see this on the field so they dont appear to be hidden or masked numbers. Imagine if they had to account for a true pass rusher on the other side.

"According to Pro Football Focus, Houston is the 15th most productive pass rusher among 4-3 defensive ends who've played at least 75 percent of their team's plays. That is based on not only sacks, but quarterback hits and quarterback pressures." Now statistically that is good company. I cant see the full list but the top 10 all play on the other side and are big named guys you would expect to see there.

That's interesting. I've had a couple of discussions and seen it posted once or twice about Houston. The recent pictures of him look like he has lost a tonne of weight. I am not sure if he has the natural physique or bend to be a pass-rushing RE. His main strength is stopping the run which is why LE suits him well. This is also why so many suggested him moving inside, something that can be disqualified by the weight loss.

Having said that - I have been surprised by the lack of recruits for the RE position. Carter I expected to come back and will rotate, Hunter is just a shot in the dark, Crawford a complete unknown as is Bass. I expect the coaches to be looking into every possibility and will be watching with interest how guys like Houston are lined up in our hybrid. If memory serves, there were times in the last couple of games where he stood up for a few plays.
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job so far guys! Our forum kicks every other sub sections' [inappropriate/removed].

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
Silver&Black88

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linebackers

Kevin Burnett:

Position:
OLB
Years Pro: 7
Projected Role: Starting OLB
Projected Stats: 94 tackles, 1 INT, 1 FF, 2 FR, 2 sacks, 4 TFL, 4 PD
Assessment:
Burnett is a solid veteran who brings experience and decent play to the table. I think he will be a nice addition to the locker room, providing knowledge and a good example for our younger players to follow. I believe he will start at OLB for us at least going into the season. Not sure whether it will be at SLB or WLB.

Miles Burris:

Position:
LB
Years Pro: 1
Projected Role: Part time OLB, Backup MLB
Projected Stats: 68 tackles, 2 INT, 2 FF, 3.5 sacks, 2 TFL, 2PD
Assessment:
Burris, I think will be the odd man out as far as starters go. Our coaching staff likes him, but he really has a lot to improve upon. He's overaggressive and misses too many tackles. That is not to say is he of no use; I am sure he will see the field this year. Just not as a starter. IIRC there were rumblings of him playing some MLB last year, and with the extra down time I foresee him learning more MIKE. Interested to see if we can use him as a blitzer a bit more and how much he improves in general.

Travis Goethal:

Position:
MLB
Years Pro: 3
Projected Role: Cut in TC
Projected Stats: Lol, like that even matters after what I just predicted
Assessment:
Goethal has failed to stay healthy for the longest time. Unfortunately for him, he also really makes next to no impact for us. He is expendable on STs as we have improved LB depth. As a holdover from the previous regime and an injury waiting to happen, I doubt he'll make it to the regular season on the roster.

Kaluka Maiava:

Position:
OLB
Years Pro: 3
Projected Role: Reserve OLB
Projected Stats: 46 tackles, 1 FF, 1 sack, 2 PD, 2 TFL
Assessment:
First off: this. Kaluka Maiavia is an interesting player in my opinion. As I am not entirely sure what to expect of him on the field. I get the feeling he will be our backup SLB, yet still see some playing time much like Burris. He doesn't have a whole lot of experience in coverage, but he looked alright when he tried it in Cleveland.

Sio Moore:

Position:
OLB
Years Pro: Rookie
Projected Role: Starting OLB
Projected Stats: 96 tackles, 2 INT, 2 FF, 1 FR, 3 sacks, 3 TFL
Assessment:
Even as a rookie, I like Sio's odds as a starter. If he isn't one out of TC, I think he'll take over before the season is over. I'm not entirely sure where though. He can blitz and cover TEs, so SLB is an option. But he has range and versatility to play WLB as well. Wherever he plays, I expect a big impact out of him. His versatile skillset will be valuable to our team and I am excited to see how Allen and Tarver utilize his abilities.

Nick Roach:

Position:
MLB
Years Pro: 6
Projected Role: Starting MLB
Projected Stats: 84 tackles, 1 INT, 2 FF, 1 FR, 1 sack, 3 TFL
Assessment:
This will be Roach's first year as a MLB. I'm not fully sure what he is capable of, but I imagine he won't have many problems as he was a MIKE for the Bears the majority of last year. He won't need to come off the field for the nickel though. I expect him to elevate his game now with the chance we've given him to start at MLB

Kealin Burnett, Billy Boyko, Keenan Clayton, Jerrell Harris, Mario Kurn:
I'm not going to sit here and pretend I know anything about these guys and what they bring to the table. Truth is, they will be judged on ST ability and if they are related to Kevin Burnett or not. Which means I think Kaelin is grandfathered in by virtue of his brother being here. Any of these guys could take a roster spot or PS spot or even get cut. I really do not expect anything out of them.

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
Somewhere, RR strokes his mustache with pride
Among other things...
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up. Only thing I know about Kaelin Burnett is that the staff liked what he did in TC last year, he had one of the fastest three cone times, he has good bloodlines and has some pass rush ability. I could see him sticking around at OLB/rush end.

Jerrell harris is scary looking:

played for Bama. Apparently looked good in Atlantas TC, but hasn't stuck with a team since. Some potential is there due to our lack of depth at MLB, but who knows. Saw Harris and Burnett in this article:

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/04/24/intriguing-developmental-lb-talent

Quote:
WLB-SLB Jerrell Harris, Alabama
Ht: 6-2 1/4 | Wt: 239 | Sp: 4.71 | Arm: 32 3/4 | Hand: 9 3/4
Versatile, athletic, run-and-hit 'backer with the work ethic to earn a living covering kicks. Better suited in 4-3 than 3-4 scheme in which he played, though his role on a national champion aided his visibility.

Quote:

(Kaelin Burnett)
Bottom line: Has a lean, athletic build with room for added bulk, as well as fluid movement skills — has speed to rush the passer and flexibility to deploy in coverage. However, is raw and lacks bulk strength (too easily run at). One-year starter bounced back from a hip injury to record just average production, but impressive pro day numbers will prompt teams to consider him as a stand-up rusher, “Will” or nickel ‘backer. His 10-foot, 9-inch broad jump bested all defensive linemen and linebackers at the Combine and his 6.7-second 3-cone drill equaled Bruce Irvin’s pace-setting mark. Mentally tough and has a passion for the game.

I know some people here like Mario Kurn. He stuck around for a reason, but I personally don't expect much. Crazy production in college though, 29 sacks in two years.

I played Billy Boyko in High School. He was pretty small at the time. Keenan Clayton is a ST guy at best.
Oaktown

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/RW7HwlE6A9g

Check this vid out guys. UDFA DT
TiberiusRising

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaktown wrote:
http://youtu.be/RW7HwlE6A9g

Check this vid out guys. UDFA DT

Finally some insight on scheme. What I figured but he said looking at the playbook looks like 4-3 mostly on 1/2 down and alot of 3-4 on 3rd down. Smile
big_palooka

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be sweet to see a Wyoming Cowboy make the roster just because that's my home state. Didn't really see Kurt do much at WYO however, so sure he's a long shot. Maybe he can find the PS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: