Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cardinals Trade Sherman to KC for Javier Arenas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Cardinals Trade Sherman to KC for Javier Arenas Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Chiefs announced they traded cornerback Javier Arenas to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for fullback Anthony Sherman.

shawn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what to say really...boring trade.

Javier Arenas = Mike Adams with great PR skills.

KC reached for him in round 2 back in 2010...he was basically a mid to late round talent. But I do like him, he is small, but aggressive.

sig made by mike23md
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javier Arenas = Far better in coverage than Adams. A good run defender and KR/PR guy.

Adams<<<Arenas

For me the implications of this sit more on possibly cutting Cason in the same offseason we signed him or mkaing the large mistake of cutting a guy like Fleming;

Peterson, Powers, Fleming, Cason, Arenas, Bethel are all in the mix at CB, and really if we are being honest, Mathieu should be too.
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - we all knew Sherman was probably gone - to go and get good value for him is actually a pleasant surprise. Hopefully out of this big melee in the secondary comes some quality play.
shawn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see Fleming or even Cason for that matter getting cut, I think Bethel would be the odd man out...even with his ST ability.

sig made by mike23md
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SuperFlyTNT"]Well - we all knew Sherman was probably gone - to go and get good value for him is actually a pleasant surprise. Hopefully out of this big melee in the secondary comes some quality play.[/quote

Putting 6 average players out there is not going to net the same result as 2 or 3 great players. The secondary is one place it can be very hard to hide the flaws of an individual, especially with the number of 1 v 1 matchups that you see in the NFL.

Hopefully we can get some good play out of this; but I don't think it is likely; the old saying Quality over Quantity is very applicable here.
DJ_Fka

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Bethel is going back to Safety?

Arenas is a good player, upgrade for Adams, even in height.

Interesting TC battles for sure.
simonwayne

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting a really good player for the price. Don't assume Arenas has been bad just because KC let him go at this price. I believe KC was over the cap by just a little since they didn't trade Albert, and this was a move made because of that reason and because Arenas probably wasn't happy after they signed Robinson to take his place despite Arenas coming off a really good season.

Arenas is a legit punt and kick returner as well. And he is one of the leagues best nickel backs. Insanely good deal for you guys.
love2theOLINE

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJ_Fka wrote:
Maybe Bethel is going back to Safety?

Arenas is a good player, upgrade for Adams, even in height.

Interesting TC battles for sure.

This, or we could see Powers at FS.

thanks to sandwhich on the sig
SuperFlyTNT

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
SuperFlyTNT wrote:
Well - we all knew Sherman was probably gone - to go and get good value for him is actually a pleasant surprise. Hopefully out of this big melee in the secondary comes some quality play.

Putting 6 average players out there is not going to net the same result as 2 or 3 great players. The secondary is one place it can be very hard to hide the flaws of an individual, especially with the number of 1 v 1 matchups that you see in the NFL.

Hopefully we can get some good play out of this; but I don't think it is likely; the old saying Quality over Quantity is very applicable here.

Sorry - let me clarify - I meant I hope some guys emerge as better out of the competition - you know, the old idea that competition can cause a player or two in a group of average players to become good. Just something to hope for at this point - not expected.

I would have rather they re-signed Greg Toler and just had to fill the safety spots - but time to get that out of my head as it's history now.
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I was hoping it would be a different trade with KC. This one sounds like a no brainer value-wise.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
apollo14000

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Honestly I was hoping it would be a different trade with KC. This one sounds like a no brainer value-wise.

I think we definitely got value. Keim should get a lot of credit for turning nothing (Sherman getting cut) into something (solid #3 CB).

Seems like this team is filled with ideal #3 CB (Mathieu, Powers, and Fleming) but lacks of a true #2. Maybe Cason can be that player. Who knows. I'm more worried about our pass rush than our secondary to be honest but apparently Campbell and Dockett should get a lot more pressure in this new system.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apollo14000 wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

I think we definitely got value. Keim should get a lot of credit for turning nothing (Sherman getting cut) into something (solid #3 CB).

Seems like this team is filled with ideal #3 CB (Mathieu, Powers, and Fleming) but lacks of a true #2. Maybe Cason can be that player. Who knows. I'm more worried about our pass rush than our secondary to be honest but apparently Campbell and Dockett should get a lot more pressure in this new system.

I'm very worried about both, we did nothing to upgrade our pass rush and at the same time gutted a secondary of 4 of its top five and failed to adequately replace three of them.

Also Fleming is ideally suited as a #2 corner. It is the perfect fit for him, too bad he is likely not going to be given that shot, because on the field he is more impressive that either Powers or Cason.

There is a reason the corner needy Chargers let Cason go and I just don't see good things from Powers when I turn the all-22 on.

Right now I would have our CB depth chart as suchs;

Peterson/Fleming

Arenas/Powers/Mathieu battling for the #3 role

Cason on the street. Not a #2 corner, not great or aware enough to play in the slot. Not a good player on ST's.
Forge

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a niners fan, I have to say that I really like this trade for Arizona. One, you can never have enough competant quarterbacks, and Arenas was a competant nickel/slot corner, which will help (I heard a rumor you guys are playing Mathieu at safety, is that correct?). Also, though you guys don't need it with PP back there, he's also a very good returner. Any time you can get just about anything of value for a fullback, considering the dying nature of the position and the overall value of the position, it's got to be considered a win. Love what the NFC west has done this offseason. Smart trades, killed the draft. It's going to be a beast of a division.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
simonwayne

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that PFF had him rated as the 3rd best nickel back in the league last season. And I can definitely believe that.

It turns out Arenas requested a trade so I guess it makes a little more sense from our end. Still feel like we let you guys get away with robbery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: