Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post-draft thoughts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WillParks

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Post-draft thoughts Reply with quote

1. After free agency and the draft the lions finally have quality depth AT&T key positions. We have quality depth at DT, S, TE, RB, G. We have unproven depth at CB and DE also. It has been a long time since we have had this kind of depth.

2. Some people criticized the Lions for taking a punter in the fifth round but I think our punting cost us a couple of games last year. We put our defense in bad a position too many times. It may sound lame but our new punter could be a real impact player.

3. I get the feeling that we could make a trade with one of the teams converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense to add an experienced DE. I see Trent Cole, Brandon Graham, Jabaal Sheard as bad fits for an odd front. I think and hope one of them will b available at a reasonable price. I think Jabaal Sheard is the most likely to be put on the block.

4. Our CBs may be young but this is the most talented group of CBs we have had in a long time. Bill Bentley is a good slot CB. Jonte Green improved a lot as the year went on and he has serious upside. Chris Greenwood is oozing with physical talent. Darius Slay is a really good prospect. I see this group becoming really good in the second half of the season.

5. I was glad we didn't take a center in the draft. This was mediocre group as a whole. Travis Fredrick or Barrett Jones were the only solid prospects. Schweinke was ok but not quite as good as jones and Frederick in my opinion.

6. I think Corey Fuller will make significant contributions as a rookie. Assuming Broyes comes back healthy and plays in the slot, Fuller could be really dangerous on the outside in 3-WR sets. I could see him being a good KR also. I see him as a future nuumber two WR who could take snps away from Burleson this year.

Thoughts?
DrRay11

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-draft thoughts Reply with quote

WillParks wrote:
1. After free agency and the draft the lions finally have quality depth AT&T key positions. We have quality depth at DT, S, TE, RB, G. We have unproven depth at CB and DE also. It has been a long time since we have had this kind of depth.

Thoughts?

I don't see much quality depth at S or G, to be honest. And we have a pretty average or below average starter at TE, IMO.

I have a good feeling about number 6, though.
ManeLine

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. I get the feeling that we could make a trade with one of the teams converting from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense to add an experienced DE. I see Trent Cole, Brandon Graham, Jabaal Sheard as bad fits for an odd front. I think and hope one of them will b available at a reasonable price. I think Jabaal Sheard is the most likely to be put on the block.

I see Dwight Freeney or John Abraham as more likely options. Graham and Sheard would cost high 2014 draft picks and Cole has a pretty large deal.

Freeney at Osi Umenyiora's price would work just fine if we're looking to add a DE.

Quote:
The Denver Post reported Tuesday that Freeney will settle for a contract similar to the $8.5 million, two-year deal Osi Umenyiora received from the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165510/article/dwight-freeney-fine-with-osi-umenyioratype-pay

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Post-draft thoughts Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Thoughts?

I don't see much quality depth at S or G, to be honest. And we have a pretty average or below average starter at TE, IMO.

I like Scheffler but he doesn't wow. Pettigrew I'm not happy or unhappy with. I wish we had more at TE. Graham, Gronkowski, etc are game changers and with our offense a TE like that would be huge.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManeLine wrote:
Quote:

I see Dwight Freeney or John Abraham as more likely options. Graham and Sheard would cost high 2014 draft picks and Cole has a pretty large deal.

Freeney at Osi Umenyiora's price would work just fine if we're looking to add a DE.

Quote:
The Denver Post reported Tuesday that Freeney will settle for a contract similar to the $8.5 million, two-year deal Osi Umenyiora received from the Atlanta Falcons.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165510/article/dwight-freeney-fine-with-osi-umenyioratype-pay

Adding Freeney would be nice and use Jones in a rotational basis. Give Freeney a breather.

I think Abraham is going to sign with NE.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the drafting of a punter. I think its more likely that we got a talented P rather than a low chance at finding a productive position player at that point.

I think having that productive P will really help us out. Harris was pretty bad and put us in bad spots.
DrRay11

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
I like the drafting of a punter. I think its more likely that we got a talented P rather than a low chance at finding a productive position player at that point.

I think having that productive P will really help us out. Harris was pretty bad and put us in bad spots.

Totally agree. I'm excited to finally have a good punter assuming he pans out. The fact of the matter is this is going to help us immensely if he can hold an average of 46 yards with accuracy compared to 38 and no accuracy last year.
mijags

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im lookin for devin taylor to surprise people. 5 or 6 sacks this season
lions on top

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-draft thoughts Reply with quote

DrRay11 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Thoughts?

I agree with TE and G but I feel safety is our probably our deepest position. Quin and Delmas are both top tens at their respective positions when healthy, Spievey showed improvement every year and I believe is NFL starter quality himself or well on his way. Carey and Silva showed some potential last year, obviously they're not ideal starters but they shouldn't have to see the field unless 2 or 3 guys go down. Only problem I see is Delmas and Spievey have pretty big injury concerns.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we are refering to our draft picks but do you guys think it would be out of the relm of possibility for udfa TE fauria to make the team over sheftler? Scheftler was usually sure handed but looked alittle out of character towards the end of the season when we needed him to step it up.

Team Stylish
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tippitover wrote:
I know we are refering to our draft picks but do you guys think it would be out of the relm of possibility for udfa TE fauria to make the team over sheftler? Scheftler was usually sure handed but looked alittle out of character towards the end of the season when we needed him to step it up.

Well, he just turned 30 and is going into the last year on his deal (along with Pettigrew) and accounts for 2.45 mill against the cap. There were talks of him being cut earlier in the offseason mostly as a means of freeing cap.

Fauria is a talented player too, so I wouldn't be shocked.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fauria wont make it over Scheffler unless hes lights out in TC. Even then I think theyd dump Heller before Scheffler.

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
stylish313

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theuntouchable wrote:
Fauria wont make it over Scheffler unless hes lights out in TC. Even then I think theyd dump Heller before Scheffler.
Heller's already been dumped, Mike-Will is his replacement.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
theuntouchable wrote:
Heller's already been dumped, Mike-Will is his replacement.

There's always guys we hype up and then disappear after doing nothing in the pre-season. Always a chance that guy this year is Fauria. My thoughts are right now he's looking at practice squad at best but we'll see.

Doubt Scheffler would be cut in favor of him though unless he turns out to be a total force in camp.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-draft thoughts Reply with quote

YlionsY wrote:
DrRay11 wrote:
WillParks wrote:

Thoughts?

I like Scheffler but he doesn't wow. Pettigrew I'm not happy or unhappy with. I wish we had more at TE. Graham, Gronkowski, etc are game changers and with our offense a TE like that would be huge.

For the most part I agree with you. For all the fan fare Pettigrew sort of defines average. He doesn't seem to excel at any single aspect but is adequate in all aspects.

I also like Scheffler and would like to see him get more looks in the red zone.

The one thing the Lions have in abundance is size with CJ, Grew and Scheffler if they're all on the field in the red zone. Holding the ball is another story. Laughing

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: