Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our Secondary
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
baconrad3


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 7679
Location: Tempe, AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Our Secondary Reply with quote

Last year's secondary was abysmal on all ends. The lone bright spot was our rookie slot corner Brandon Boykin. The FO also took notice, leading to us going out and basically completely revamping our entire secondary.

We got rid of DRC and Nnamdi at CB...and added Cary Williams, Bradley Fletcher, and Jordan Poyer.

While Allen and Coleman are still on the team, we did sign/draft their replacements. Kenny Phillips was injured all of last year, but he is only 26 years old, will be healthy coming into TC, and is one of the best free safeties in the league when on the field. Pat Chung is a bit of a wildcard, having not built upon the promising potential he showed his first couple years in the league and generally playing mediocre in NE recently. However, the talent is there and some could say that NE's scheme makes their safeties look worse than they are. Earl Wolff was brought in as competition for Chung in the 5th round and we should get a great battle for that starting spot.

My question is: How does everyone think our secondary will fare this year? Will it be amongst the top half of the league? Mediocre? Bad? Who do you see staying here long term out of the guys we brought in? Who will flop? Who will blossom?
_________________


#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ninjapirate


Joined: 14 Jan 2005
Posts: 33576
Location: Vegas
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will be middle of the road, which will be an improvement over a secondary that lost us games last year.
_________________
Matts4313 wrote:
How drunk on you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kempes


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 11731
Location: England
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just really hoping Kenny Phillips can stay healthy, he'll make a big difference back there. I have high hopes for him and Fletcher.

The rest of them I think have potential but they haven't showed it consistently yet. Either way, I think we'll see an improvement on last year for sure but I don't expect it to be breaking any records anytime soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baconrad3


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 7679
Location: Tempe, AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this offseason was a nice step forward in the right direction with our secondary.

I see Fletcher and KP both staying as long term contributors and very good players....Williams and Chung are question marks. Wolff I think could be very good. And Poyer could be our #2 cornerback in 2014 who knows?

After 2014, we should have a very good secondary together if the FO adds a couple more right pieces in the offseason/draft.
_________________


#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PowerElite


Joined: 25 Dec 2009
Posts: 8808
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The secondary has poor depth to go on top of uncertainty amongst the starters. Offenses will be licking their chops to face this secondary. The tackling should be better than it has been in a while, but the coverage could be worse than last season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baconrad3


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 7679
Location: Tempe, AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
The secondary has poor depth to go on top of uncertainty amongst the starters. Offenses will be licking their chops to face this secondary. The tackling should be better than it has been in a while, but the coverage could be worse than last season.


Kenny Phillips and Wolff/Chung alone are a massive upgrade in coverage at safety.

Nnamdi couldn't cover a high school receiver most of last year...


Fletcher is so underrated its nuts.
_________________


#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZ_Eaglesfan


Joined: 03 Jan 2013
Posts: 5774
Location: Arizona
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
The secondary has poor depth to go on top of uncertainty amongst the starters. Offenses will be licking their chops to face this secondary. The tackling should be better than it has been in a while, but the coverage could be worse than last season.


I agree with this. The secondary didn't really get better, just different. Fletcher is still a big unknown, Williams was never anything special in Baltimore, who knows how many games Kenny Phillips plays, and Chung is pretty average. Should be a bottom 15 pass defense, probably bottom 10.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JayAp07


Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 2612
Location: Wilmington DE Silo on the sig
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mediocre at best. Kenny Phillips could very well be the next Marlin Jackson and never play a down for us. Chung was benched in NE and could prove no better than Coleman or Allen. Williams and Fletcher could be decent for us but neither is a #1 corner.
_________________


2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Johnnygunnz


Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 4158
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
The secondary has poor depth to go on top of uncertainty amongst the starters. Offenses will be licking their chops to face this secondary. The tackling should be better than it has been in a while, but the coverage could be worse than last season.


This. I think that could be the case, but I believe there is a chance for a decent secondary. I wish we had one top tier player in the secondary. But, who knows, maybe one of these rookies can step up with enough time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
baconrad3


Joined: 27 Apr 2010
Posts: 7679
Location: Tempe, AZ
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayAp07 wrote:
Mediocre at best. Kenny Phillips could very well be the next Marlin Jackson and never play a down for us. Chung was benched in NE and could prove no better than Coleman or Allen. Williams and Fletcher could be decent for us but neither is a #1 corner.


Did you really just compare Kenny Phillips to Marlin Jackson?



I see KP and Fletcher being the two successful signings in the secondary from this offseason. Williams might be a decent starter but will likely not stick here...and I see Wolff beating out Chung.
_________________


#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RainbowCarebear


Joined: 31 Aug 2011
Posts: 35596
Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I except the tackling to improve. And depending on how some of the younger/injured players bounce back, it might be above average.
_________________

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kiltman


Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 14684
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle of the road

Like PE said tackling should be better

But I'm not expecting them to be fantastic

I like what they did though, sign 4 guys who seem to be hard workers and have played well here and there...throw them out there and see who sticks....if just 1 of these guys proves to be a solid starter it'll be an improvement over last year and a step in the right direction.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eagles $5$


Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 24135
Location: USA
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that we tried to get more physical and aggressive in the secondary. Williams might not be the best cover CB, but he is agressive and physical, and bring a little attitude to the defense. Fletcher is a bigger CB and can tackle, play man to man, but just hast to stay healthy. He is very underrated IMO. If Chung and KP can stay healthy, I think the secondary is going to be solid. Not great, but better than last year.
_________________


TommyC376 on the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nlesthought


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 8413
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:
JayAp07 wrote:
Mediocre at best. Kenny Phillips could very well be the next Marlin Jackson and never play a down for us. Chung was benched in NE and could prove no better than Coleman or Allen. Williams and Fletcher could be decent for us but neither is a #1 corner.


Did you really just compare Kenny Phillips to Marlin Jackson?



I see KP and Fletcher being the two successful signings in the secondary from this offseason. Williams might be a decent starter but will likely not stick here...and I see Wolff beating out Chung.


The comparison wasn't based on skill but ability to get on the field. Phillips has missed about two seasons worth of games. Bad knees.

If they stay healthy I think the depth would be greatly improved no matter who makes the 53. I'm more concerned how they'll be used new scheme players getting to know each other it'll take time. Good thing Chip gets extra OTAs
_________________


psn: nlesthought l Peppers90 on the sig

Bird Watch '13 - Placekicker #6 - Alex 'the podiatrist' Henery.
22/27 LNG 51yds; 42 XPs; 1 KOR TD given up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JayAp07


Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 2612
Location: Wilmington DE Silo on the sig
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlesthought wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:
JayAp07 wrote:
Mediocre at best. Kenny Phillips could very well be the next Marlin Jackson and never play a down for us. Chung was benched in NE and could prove no better than Coleman or Allen. Williams and Fletcher could be decent for us but neither is a #1 corner.


Did you really just compare Kenny Phillips to Marlin Jackson?



I see KP and Fletcher being the two successful signings in the secondary from this offseason. Williams might be a decent starter but will likely not stick here...and I see Wolff beating out Chung.


The comparison wasn't based on skill but ability to get on the field. Phillips has missed about two seasons worth of games. Bad knees.

If they stay healthy I think the depth would be greatly improved no matter who makes the 53. I'm more concerned how they'll be used new scheme players getting to know each other it'll take time. Good thing Chip gets extra OTAs


Exactly. Phillips has a bad injury history. Marlin Jackson came here "100% healthy" and could never get on the field. Out of all the additions, Phillips worries me for this very reason. It's not like he broke his arm one year and then broke his leg the next, the guy has knee problems dating all the way back to his college days when he tore his ACL. Knee and back problems often derail and end careers because they never seem to go away. Kenny's history has proven that it is a very serious, reoccurring problem for him.
_________________


2013 Philadelphia Eagles NFC East Champs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group