Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coples to OLB??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMG

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Muhammad Wilkerson // Kenrick Ellis // Sheldon Richardson
Quinton Coples // Demario Davis // David Harris // Antwan Barnes

Not bad.
Not bad at all.

I could see NT and ILB being our main holes next offseason if Ellis and Davis don't pan out. Most likely safety, too.

[]_[] Family
Idzik4president

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:

Not bad.

yeah especially when Rontez Miles is running from 50 yards out to cream somebody.
green24

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMG wrote:
green24 wrote:

Not bad.
Not bad at all.

I could see NT and ILB being our main holes next offseason if Ellis and Davis don't pan out. Most likely safety, too.

I have a lot of faith in Demario Davis. I think he is a major breakout candidate this season.

#TeamManfred
richie jets

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but this is so stupid !!! The guy is more of a defensive tackle than olb , why can't we just draft a line backer or sign a one . coples showed slot of promise last year right wear he was now your gonna ask him to set the edge and cover . Such a bad move no one ever moved Julius peppers .i hate it !!!! Bring in a linebacker to play line backer
JetsFan15

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
JetsFan15 wrote:
green24 wrote:
Debbie just confirmed this.

Rich Cimini wrote:
As far back as the scouting combine in February, Rex Ryan started dropping hints about Quinton Coples becoming more of an edge player. He'll be on the edge, all right. Coples, used mostly as an interior lineman as a rookie, will be moved to 3-4 outside linebacker, according to a league source.

Ryan uses multiple fronts, so it's quite possible Coples will be deployed as a down lineman in certain situations. But the plan, for now, is to stand him up. The former first-round pick was listed at 290 pounds last season, so he will have to drop weight to play linebacker, which requires some pass-coverage responsibilities.

Barring injury, Coples will reach double digit sacks this season.

Well I think this explains them not taking Jones at 13 (at least in my mind- lol) .... let's hope he is the answer there!!

I still don't think Jones was worth the 13th pick. Not a fan of him at all.

Love Jones! Think he is going to be one of those guys that when we look back at the draft everyone wonders how he went 17 and that Pitt got yet another steal. Time will tell though ...
KingOfTheHill84

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coples will be a Suggs like OLB, really a DE just standing up and coming off the strong side edge and then putting his hand in the dirt on 3rd downs

Its not a big deal, Rex likes versatile players

[quote="Ring Worm Sherm"]Revis hasn't done jack since 09[/quote]Fly-A-Jet 2013 Jeremy Kerley
Rec:5 Yards:70 TDs:0 PR Average:7 ypa
jetskid007

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most people have been saying, it's not going to be a huge difference for Coples. The only thing different between the 4-3 and 3-4 is the gap alignments. Coples was a 5-tech DE last year, now he's essentially a 7-or-9-tech DE.

Although I think Coples is fine where he is, I don't think it should hurt his game much. If anything, moving outside should be a stat booster for him since his focus will shift from "protecting" the linebackers to having the freedom to explode upfield

Forget everything else in this photo, just focus on the DLineman lined up closest to us in the picture. That will be Coples.

New York Sack Exchange Redux
sandwhich

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Like most people have been saying, it's not going to be a huge difference for Coples. The only thing different between the 4-3 and 3-4 is the gap alignments. Coples was a 5-tech DE last year, now he's essentially a 7-or-9-tech DE.

Although I think Coples is fine where he is, I don't think it should hurt his game much. If anything, moving outside should be a stat booster for him since his focus will shift from "protecting" the linebackers to having the freedom to explode upfield

Forget everything else in this photo, just focus on the DLineman lined up closest to us in the picture. That will be Coples.

It's unimportant anyway, since Cromartie will be cutting off a faux Bump and run coverage to jump a route and take it to the endzone. Who cares where Coples is! Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great great move. We are going to be moving more to a 5-2 set almost like Houston.

In his last year in Houston Mario Williams was moved to the outside, he is almost the exact same size and speed as Quinton, and he had 5 sacks in 5 games before he got hurt. And I don't wanna hear that Mario is clearly a better player than Coples, I am not saying Coples will develop into the player Mario is but they have very similar skill sets, and Coples got more sacks on less snaps as a rookie than Mario did.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... these 2 aren't the same player Laughing

New York Sack Exchange Redux
Davey

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems there's been suggestions that this may have more to it than initially thought. I'm definitely skeptical if so, as who knows what Coples will be if/when Rex asks him to drop weight for the OLB role.

I think he showed some promise as a 3-4 end as a rookie, particularly later in the year... it would be a shame if the Jets' projection of him as a OLB fails and his overall career suffers as a result. If the Jets are serious about him at OLB, I hope they know what they're doing.

Perhaps to the Jets, once Mingo was off the board, moving Coples to OLB and Richardson as a disruptive end was more favorable than drafting Jarvis Jones. Who knows. Just throwing it out there.

I'd still like to believe that Coples will be a 3-4 end, but I believe Cimini had a report linking Coples to the OLB position. Which means there is more to this than initially thought.
xenajets

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest issue is to get all our defensive playmakers out there together. If that means listing him as a OLB but letting him rush the passer with his hand in the ground most of the time then i have no problem with that!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly love this idea and I brought it up in another thread. As already stated, we clearly loved Richardson enough that we felt it was necessary to move coples rather than take jones. I think it speaks volumes for what we think of both Coples and Richardson. Coples will be just fine, and this will maximize his pass rushing abilities. This will be a very athletic defense and I really can see this move working out and paying dividends dispute his weight. He's 6'6 290 maybe slightly below, and if he can be explosive from that size I really could care less what he weighs.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Rich51

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richie jets wrote:
I'm sorry but this is so stupid !!! The guy is more of a defensive tackle than olb , why can't we just draft a line backer or sign a one . coples showed slot of promise last year right wear he was now your gonna ask him to set the edge and cover . Such a bad move no one ever moved Julius peppers .i hate it !!!! Bring in a linebacker to play line backer

I agree both Coples and Mo are more DT than anything else. Unless we have a definitive plan for how to use the three of them (which i doubt since moving Coples to OLB is not a good idea,imo) we should have never drafted Richardson, it just over crowds the position.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah his position could say OLB but he won't be covering.

I expect alot of different hybrid type looks but either way Coples is rushing the passer so it won't matter where he lines up.

4-3 (rush plays)
Cope, Ellis, Wilk, Richardson (yeah he can line up at DE)
LB's
Davis, Harris, Pace

4-3 (passing downs)
Cope, Wilk, Richardson, Barnes
Davis, Harris, (Sapp or MacIntyre)

3-4 (running plays)
Richardson, Ellis, Wilk
LB's
Cope (4th rusher), Harris, Davis, Pace

3-4 (passing plays)
Same D-line
LB's
Cope (4th rusher), Harris, Davis, Barnes (blitzer)

Props to Mack on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: